CBD for arthritis?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

CBD for arthritis?

Post by SandiSAHM »

I have arthritis in my lower back. Almost 2 yrs ago a nice orthopedic dr put me on Celebrex. I thought it was a miracle drug. Pain was gone, I could sleep again, life was great!

Well, the celebrex is impacting my liver in unfriendly ways. Turns out it was almost taken off the market for this very reason :shock: So I looked around for alternatives, but most of the conventional arthritis drugs are bad for either your liver, kidneys, or both. Nothing OTC went near it back in the days before admitting I needed a dr's intervention.

So, alternatives. Does CBD with no THC work for arthritis? Without harming your liver or kidneys?
jstore97

Re: CBD for arthritis?

Post by jstore97 »

Celebrex gave me blood clots. I tried CBD balm on my neck where I have cervical stenosis but didn't find relief. It didn't really seem to go in deep enough if that makes sense? It does really help with the muscle pain in my legs from being on my feet and working on concrete floors all day. Currently trying turmeric to see if that helps and ordered an amber necklace (I guess it's this generation's copper bracelet :D )
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

My personal experience us that cbd work moderately well at best but you really need the real thing which is THC. When I lived in a legal state I was a medical patient and took 10 MG of an edible daily. I was able to sleep but not knocked out so much I could not get to the potty or whatever if I needed to.

But you cannot use THC during the day in any real sense. It can knock you out and you cannot drive and so on. So.youll still rely on tylenol arthritis or whatever then.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I have arthritis in my hands, knees and one hip. Been taking Mobic for years, and my primary care doc does kidney function tests to make sure I am tolerating it well.

For severe flare-ups, I have a prescription for Voltaren gel, which is now sold OTC as a generic. It has to be rubbed on the painful area four times a day for best relief, but it works well. It goes directly to the area to relieve inflammation, bypassing the liver, and making it safer in that respect.
Mackie
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

jstore97 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:48 am Celebrex gave me blood clots. I tried CBD balm on my neck where I have cervical stenosis but didn't find relief. It didn't really seem to go in deep enough if that makes sense? It does really help with the muscle pain in my legs from being on my feet and working on concrete floors all day. Currently trying turmeric to see if that helps and ordered an amber necklace (I guess it's this generation's copper bracelet :D )
Oh wow. Last thing anyone needs is a blood clot!

I don't think topical is going to be the way to go.

My MIL had neck surgery for stenosis (and the same just above her lumbar). We call her 'bionic grandma.'
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Quilter51 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:08 am My personal experience us that cbd work moderately well at best but you really need the real thing which is THC. When I lived in a legal state I was a medical patient and took 10 MG of an edible daily. I was able to sleep but not knocked out so much I could not get to the potty or whatever if I needed to.

But you cannot use THC during the day in any real sense. It can knock you out and you cannot drive and so on. So.youll still rely on tylenol arthritis or whatever then.
I was hoping to stay away from THC; while I work from home it does involve some focus and occasionally some intricate math. But if CBD alone doesn't let me sleep then yup, THC at night. I am not a fun person when in pain and/or short on sleep.

We have dispensaries EVERYwhere, they all popped up like weeds (pun!) over the course of the last 3-4 years. But while medical marijuana is legal here, recreational isn't, and online searches indicate nothing with THC is available without a card. What I see available locally, based on websites, is CBD from hemp. I'm not even sure that can have THC; I doubt it.

I'll have to wander in one and see what's available, and ask my dr about what it would take to get a card if necessary, because I'm not just living with jacking up my liver / kidneys. Need those long term.

Also looking up exercise specifically for the area because really all I do is walk and ride a bike occasionally, I should probably go back to doing my PT regularly and building my core again. Won't be at mid-50s what it was in the early 30s (pre children), but hopefully it can be convinced to hold my back stable. Aging is so totally not for wimps!

I'm getting a taste of life without celebrex again, minor surgical thing coming up and they made me stop it because it's a blood thinner. I should have researched it before I started taking it, but I was pretty desperate.