Daily Check in July 9, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in July 9, 2021

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning frugal friends,

I made it to the Y this morning. After today I am on vacation! Looking forward to it. Worried about work crashing down. But no one is indispensable.

Tonight I have 2 possible free/low cost concerts to go to. The low cost ($5) is at the center across the street and features and 80's cover band. The other is about 30 miles away and is a Neil Diamond tribute band. Leaning towards the second.

Owned, thinking of your daughter.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in July 9, 2021

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Annnnd the rain fell. I believe Hubby said that by the end we had gotten close to 2". The problem was the wind and lightening, we had quite a few power flickers which made doing much of anything a bit difficult.

I really never noticed how addicted I have gotten to my computer, the internet, and TV until then. I just may need a cleanse for a week or two. Everything is back up and working just fine now however. The storms are not over, as they are calling for more (and probably more active) storms today.

Frugally speaking there are a few things I can do today. I plan on bagging a few more of my up and coming projects, my regular household tasks. I may even bake a loaf of bread, and perhaps a cake. Things to keep me busy and moving, it is when I stop for any length of time and sit that my back and hips ache something fierce.

Youngest son should arrive at some point today. I am not sure if it will be morning, afternoon or evening. I will finish getting the Grandcat's bowls and such out today.

Livingroom will be tidied, dusted and the few carpets in this house vacuumed. I still have some frozen rhubarb to take to the freezer in the basement and I will finish that off today. I think after this rain I will probably end up with another pick from my plants.

Working on the scarf project still. I am hopeful of being done very soon. This scarf will be using up a number of smaller balls of leftover yarn. Using up leftovers of any kind is a very good thing in this house. Once that project is completed (well kind of completed as I need something to do with my hands at night and knitting fits the bill) I will grab one of my bagged patterns to continue to work on.

Supper tonight was going to be perogy casserole type thing, but I think I just may make a pasta salad and throw in some shrimp and call it a main dish salad. Just too hot to have the oven on a lot today (well probably very humid from the rain).

Today I am grateful that the DS's will get to spend a bit of time with each other before oldest leaves to spend a week with friends he has been unable to see since the pandemic started and we had our first set of restrictions.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

mbrudnic wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:08 am Good Morning frugal friends,

I made it to the Y this morning. After today I am on vacation! Looking forward to it. Worried about work crashing down. But no one is indispensable.

Tonight I have 2 possible free/low cost concerts to go to. The low cost ($5) is at the center across the street and features and 80's cover band. The other is about 30 miles away and is a Neil Diamond tribute band. Leaning towards the second.

Owned, thinking of your daughter.

Have a great day,
Maggie
You are so lucky to have free or low cost concerts. Here we would have to travel about 2 1/2 hours to the capital in order to get anything like that.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

Owned, I’m still praying for your daughter.

Today Pippi has her appointment with the actual vet. It has been one year since she was diagnosed with kidney failure. I never thought she’d still be with me at this point and still having a good life for the most part. In my prayers I ask every night for guidance to do the right things for her. Most likely I won’t get her bloodwork results until next week. Whatever they are, I’m content. A year ago I bought a bottle of Chardonnay thinking that I’d soon need something to drown my sadness. (I’m not a regular drinker.) So not knowing how long unopened white wine lasts, I think I’ll open it tonight to celebrate that I’ve had this year with my little Pippi.

I need to start putting aside money for a new phone. My phone does not hold a battery charge for very long and the storm made me realize I need a better phone. I want the new iPhone SE ($399). One of my stocks issued an unexpected $150 dividend so that is a good start. I’m going to cancel Netflix when it renews. I don’t want to take the money from my travel savings. So I’ll see where else I can find savings over the coming months.

Have a good day.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Jackielou wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:23 am You are so lucky to have free or low cost concerts. Here we would have to travel about 2 1/2 hours to the capital in order to get anything like that.
I am and I never would have thought about it until I started going with my support group. They are outdoors, you tke your lawn chair & a cooler. Often there will be booths selling adult beverages and food and such. The local band scene is alive and well. Usually the municipalities organize it, get some sponsors like a local radio station and other local businesses. One I went to a few weeks ago was a band from Nashville. They did mention a 2 or 3 times that they had a booth selling their merchandise and stated that last year devastated them and merchandise sales would be a way to help them. It was not obnoxious and if I had been seated closer, I might have gone to take a look. But most of the locals do not have that much of an operation. But it is fun to go and dance and listen and people-watch. There are probably 3-4 opportunities a week to catch a performance.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Hello all,

Hope we hear from Owned and that all is well.

I am up...running the robo-vac and just piddling around getting stuff done.
Yesterday I had DD bring a lamp from my parents house to me as I finally decided where I wanted it. We had stored it in a closet because it has hanging crystals and is very old and fancy...her cats would wreck it if they could have gotten to it. She didn't like it...as she would say it is very bougie/boho and not her style LOL.
It was originally from one of my aunts house and when I was cleaning out the aunts house for the estate, i took it to mom because she liked it and I have the other aunts lamp....mom wanted to keep it until "she was done with it"....this happened a lot with my mom...I would find something really cool and when she would see it, she wanted it so of course being my mom, I gave it to her!!!
My brother once gave me a Victorian dresser set for Christmas and when we opened gifts at my parents house, she saw it and wanted to keep it "for awhile" she kept it for over 20 years LOL

It is cooler today and humid, might boil some eggs and devil them. Don't know if we will be doing anything over the weekend as everyone is still on "baby watch". She is having light contractions and is being monitored but sent home ...I have a feeling our sweet baboo will arrive this weekend. I am anxious but excited.
JCKitty