Biggest Leak in Your Budget?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: Biggest Leak in Your Budget?

Post by HappyDaze »

Quilter51 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:24 am There is no such thing as too many treats for your dogs. Just putting that out there.
Quilter, Lucy and Hope say "thank you" for that. :-)
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

itspennyc wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:01 pm For me it is groceries, I refuse to not eat healthy.

Plus I do spend more on the Mootopia milk. I is $3.98 a half gallon, but it has a much longer refrigerator shelf life. Plus extra protein and calcium.

I don’t drive. So to me it is worth the extra money.

I also keep my A/C and heat at the temperature I need. I am on the budget plan so I pay the same amount year round.

Most years I have some taken off the balance billing month.

Since we can have more than one user on the newspaper digital copy my daughter and I are talking about sharing one account. I don’t know yet which one of us it will be.

I no longer drive so no car related expenses. I do have renters insurance.

Penny
Penny, I splurge on some food items too - and don't know that I would consider them leaks in my budget anymore, as I feel I can "afford" them. Plant based milks and butter, all natural peanut butter, mid-priced coffee, herbal teas, fresh sweet potatoes year-round, vegan egg and meat substitutes, and a few other things.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Sheila,
My Dd that lives in my other house (dads) is the same way! My electric bill runs about 1/2 of hers and she is at work all day! I am home and usually have either the TV or music on.
She also leaves her AC turned low for the "comfort" of her dog and cats..... :roll:

JCKitty
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I have to not look too closely at what we spend on the dogs and our old cat. They aren't indulged with stuff and get loads of love and excellent nutrition. It does cost a lot and we won't have three dogs at once again.
Mackie
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Not to throw anyone under the bus, but our leaks aren't San-related. There's an expression, "Get your kid into mountain biking and they'll never have money for drugs," and while I thought it was funny when I heard it... it's not funny, times 3, because DD and DH got the bug right after DS (confession: I like biking, but I'm more a roadie or gravel bike (cross between a mountain bike and road bike) type, and don't mind my old bike or renting a better bike occasionally). Good bikes (not 'great,' just 'good') aren't cheap. They don't come with pedals, which are also not cheap. Grips? Not cheap. Then there's all the gear and safety items and the tools and spare parts you need to make sure that if something happens on the trail you can fix it. Repairs, maintenance, and the ER bills (just once so far, but it was a pretty hefty sum). And the 'need' to try new trails, which requires travel (gas, hotels) - and the 4-bike rack, along with the required installation of a hitch on one of the vehicles.

I'd blame the pandemic, because I think they were bored, but it probably would have happened anyway.

It's good usually harmless fun, though. There are worse things. And we're spending a lot of time with the kids. Keeping everyone in good shape, with the exception of the occasional bumps, bruises, scrapes, and that one bad sprain.

DOG TREATS - we only use 2, these lean treats the vet gave her (it's chicken liver, and much cheaper on Amazon than from the vet's), and raw carrots. When she hears veg being peeled she presumes it's a carrot and comes RUNNING. She'll also occasionally get raw apple. Basically because if someone eats an apple she sits in front of them and STARES at them until they give in :lol: Spoiled animal.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Beverley wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:43 pm Thanks Janet, I am working on it. I have been suffering from dibilitating fatigue off and on. From what I understand it is a diabetic symptom. I have a phone appointment with my diabetic coach on Wednesday. I need to collect fasting glucose readings for it. I am ready to get back on the wagon, a quality of life with fatigue sucks. I need to and want to do things.

Bev
I understand. I have been a diabetic for 21 years. I wish I could give you advise but to me each diabetic reacts differently to things. I am gluten intolerant so have a bigger problem due to most gluten free subs are high glycemic. The one thing I do for snacking is I eat nuts. I love all kinds but eat more walnuts to help lower my cholesterol. The last blood test I had my A1c was 6.5 I think.. At least 6. something..lol. My cholesterol was down. My NP said, I do not know what you are doing but keep it up your numbers are vastly improved. Also I eat baby carrots with a small amount of ranch dressing. Recently I made stuffed celery. I made pimento cheese but sometimes when I have it I use peanut butter. Also I eat an apple with peanut butter. They give me the satisfaction of something crunchy with protein. Another trick I picked up from the American Diabetic Assoc was when you eat popcorn eat 3 cups with 2 oz of cheese. If I eat popcorn without the cheese my blood sugar goes sky high. One of my great nephews is a severe Type I diabetic. The last time I was visiting his family they did not offer any kind of snacks except they had individual bowls of mixed nuts which I enjoyed instead of being tempted to eat chips of some kind. I am a certified chip addict. Good luck. Being a diabetic it is hard to find the right foods that are satisfying and safe to eat.
Janet Alliesmama