Daily Check In July 18, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check In July 18, 2021

Post by MackerelCat »

Hi, frugal friends. I have also been cooking up the languishing produce today. I made apple-raisin baked oatmeal for my breakfasts, using up some apples that had a few blemishes. I put an extra egg in the recipe to make it more-stick-to-your-ribs, and then peeled and diced a bunch of potatoes and carrots that were getting elderly. Those were tossed in some olive oil, seasoned and roasted. Those will be a side dish to the Healthy Choice wraps I bought for lunch.

I also peeled and chopped a bunch of fruit no one was eating, added a pinch of sugar, made a custard to go over it and froze portions for my lunches. I had been buying cartons of yogurt, but can make a custard for far less expense and not have plastic cartons to dispose of.

We finally did something yesterday I had wanted to do since May when our vaccinations took effect: went to World Market and bought some exotic foods. We found some delicious sharp cheddar and quinoa crackers, bought candy from Japan for DS, and I stocked up on Heinz baked beans and Scottish shortbread. It was fun and we have not done anything just for fun in a long while.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

MackerelCat wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:04 pm Hi, frugal friends. I have also been cooking up the languishing produce today. I made apple-raisin baked oatmeal for my breakfasts, using up some apples that had a few blemishes. I put an extra egg in the recipe to make it more-stick-to-your-ribs, and then peeled and diced a bunch of potatoes and carrots that were getting elderly. Those were tossed in some olive oil, seasoned and roasted. Those will be a side dish to the Healthy Choice wraps I bought for lunch.

I also peeled and chopped a bunch of fruit no one was eating, added a pinch of sugar, made a custard to go over it and froze portions for my lunches. I had been buying cartons of yogurt, but can make a custard for far less expense and not have plastic cartons to dispose of.

We finally did something yesterday I had wanted to do since May when our vaccinations took effect: went to World Market and bought some exotic foods. We found some delicious sharp cheddar and quinoa crackers, bought candy from Japan for DS, and I stocked up on Heinz baked beans and Scottish shortbread. It was fun and we have not done anything just for fun in a long while.
Are not Heinz Baked Beans easily bought in any grocery store? That is the only brand we can purchase here in Canada.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Bonne apres midi toute le monde!!

I did check-in yesterday but the post went missing and I just wasn't up to retyping anything. There wasn't much to report anyhoo.

Today? It is ROASTING outside!! 37C/106F with the humidex factored in. I SO didn't want to have to go out but needed to pick-up my medications, get some eggs and hot dogs. I also got a 6 pack of Diet Pepsi to toss in the fridge. It's going to be another very hot week. UGH!

I usually go to Sobeys for my hot dogs as they are very reasonable prices. Today? I looked at Shoppers and saw they had a good brand on sale and bought them. They cost more than my regular hot dogs but to avoid another long trip to a store? I was good to pay the extra! I made it home and even after 10 minutes in the A/C I was still hot and hair dripping with sweat. I see a nice cool shower in my near future.

Once I get cooled down, I will unload the dishwasher. I still haven't had lunch. It's getting to the time when it will be lunch/supper combined. My friend gave me some pesto she made yesterday and I'll cook some pasta for it. She also gave me some beet tops so I hope to cook those up for supper too. I may go out again, it's national ice cream day and have a nice ice cream. Depends on how I feel about going back into the heat. Craziness!

I have to unload the dishwasher and load it again after cooking supper.

That's the skinny from here!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:34 pm Are not Heinz Baked Beans easily bought in any grocery store? That is the only brand we can purchase here in Canada.
Almost impossible to find in the US, Jackie. American baked beans are very sweet and I don't like them much. Heinz is much better.
Mackie
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Mackie,

In my family we doctor the baked beans with even more brown sugar, and spices!

Baby shower was good, food and a few games...nothing too wild and then gifts and cake. I am stuffed!

I have been trimming matts out of my dogs feet most of the day. I can only do a little bit at a time as he gets nasty if you mess with his feet...but I am bigger and I insist LOl

The weather is supposed to start improving a bit, rain going away and heat building back in.
I hope to take a trip to the recycle depot tomorrow and take actual trash down to the dumpster at dads for pick up on Tuesday AM. Might even get gas cans filled for mowing. I hope I can mow on Tuesday, hopefully the grass will be dry enough.

Interesting and kind of depressing talk at the shower, very few vaccinated and those not vaccinated very belligerent about the vaccine and "government interference" I stayed clear of them and the conversations because I don't communicate well around people I don't know well .... it made me sad.
I talk more on here than I do in my real life. :?

Need to make a list for tomorrow,
JCKitty
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

jckitty wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:17 pm Mackie,

In my family we doctor the baked beans with even more brown sugar, and spices!

Baby shower was good, food and a few games...nothing too wild and then gifts and cake. I am stuffed!

I have been trimming matts out of my dogs feet most of the day. I can only do a little bit at a time as he gets nasty if you mess with his feet...but I am bigger and I insist LOl

The weather is supposed to start improving a bit, rain going away and heat building back in.
I hope to take a trip to the recycle depot tomorrow and take actual trash down to the dumpster at dads for pick up on Tuesday AM. Might even get gas cans filled for mowing. I hope I can mow on Tuesday, hopefully the grass will be dry enough.

Interesting and kind of depressing talk at the shower, very few vaccinated and those not vaccinated very belligerent about the vaccine and "government interference" I stayed clear of them and the conversations because I don't communicate well around people I don't know well .... it made me sad.
I talk more on here than I do in my real life. :?

Need to make a list for tomorrow,
JCKitty
Kitty..glad you had a nice time at the shower. Scary and sad that people think it is govt. interference when getting vaxed could save their lives.