How Are You Combating The Rising Cost of Living

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

How Are You Combating The Rising Cost of Living

Post by Jackielou »

With prices seemingly rising with no end in sight (well especially here in Canada) I thought it might be a good idea to share strategies for dealing with the situation.

To save on fuel costs I combine errands and try to do them all on one day. I find that doing this makes my tank of fuel last at least a month. If we do travel anywhere (I do want to go shopping in the city towards the end of the month, kind of a fall/winter stock up) I make sure to combine lots of errands there as well.

As the heat rises outside, we have turned the air conditioning up a few degrees. Hopefully this will help with the costs of running it. We are still comfortable.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Re: How Are You Combating The Rising Cost of Living

Post by MackerelCat »

Our costs for water/sewer, electricity, and groceries have been getting into eye-popping territory. DH and I wear clothes more than once to cut down on laundry. I have been more diligent about doing the "get wet, turn off water, clean yourself, then turn on water to rinse" approach to handwashing, toothbrushing, handwashing, and even showers.

Groceries have been tough. We can cut back some more on eating and do more home cooking and sale shopping, but we do still have to eat healthy.

I do love the function on websites of being able to see if an item is in stock in area stores. This saves me a lot of fruitless driving.
Mackie
GMPG54

Post by GMPG54 »

Been filling the gas tank at the halfway mark,not sure of its frugalness but it hurts less on the account.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

For me I think just not going anywhere.
We used to do a lot of girls days thrifting trips (pre-covid), that hasn't happened.
I have also been buying a lot more in bulk...the girls have also and then we split it between us. We are very fortunate to know people that work in pork processing plants around us.
For example just got a case of boneless pork loin 4 whole loins to the case for 40$. Will be semi-thawed and repackaged as roasts and boneless chops some tenderized and used as tenderloins.

I have also started the stock up for winter...prices are not going to go down so may as well get stuff now.

JCKitty
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

jckitty wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:03 am For me I think just not going anywhere.
We used to do a lot of girls days thrifting trips (pre-covid), that hasn't happened.
I have also been buying a lot more in bulk...the girls have also and then we split it between us. We are very fortunate to know people that work in pork processing plants around us.
For example just got a case of boneless pork loin 4 whole loins to the case for 40$. Will be semi-thawed and repackaged as roasts and boneless chops some tenderized and used as tenderloins.

I have also started the stock up for winter...prices are not going to go down so may as well get stuff now.

JCKitty
Great deal on the pork!!! I don't see prices falling either and with the new variants I have a feeling sticking close to home this winter will be a great idea.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

Ugh. It's a never ending battle. The talking heads say that inflation will eventually ease up but when? And now with covid to contend with again is that going to generate shortages again? Every time I think I can ease off grocery shopping I hear things and think no.....better continue having stock on hand.

Since I work closer to home 2 days I have been able to stretch my gasoline usage to about half a tank per month. It's too hot to go anywhere so I just stay home under my fan. If I don't feel the need to crash and burn after work Thursday and Friday I will make runs to Sams Club and Costco to stock up on some things. Even though we may or may not encounter shortages later prices will continue to rise. I am already prepped for the price jump in my LTC insurance so that is covered.

Rumor has it we may get a larger than usual COLA on out SS for 2022. That will help as long as medicare increases do not suck it all up. I also get a small COLA on my pension each year.

One thing I am so grateful for is that I bought my house when I did. These days renting a house costs just about as much as a mortgage payment and houses for sale are scarce. I don't know if a major price correctin will happen or not. The median price for a house in the Bay Area is One millin plus, the same house sells here for half a million. High tech workers get paid a ton so they can afford to buy up homes in the Bay Area.

I am very insistent that my kids hang on to this house even after I am gone. It should be paid off by then and it will be a place for them to live. Every day I either get mail or calls from realtors asking me if I want to sell my house. Nope. Not for sale.

i am also doing things to save water both money wise and because we are in a severe drought. Since I stay home I only shower every other day and I keep them short. Everything gets work twice before going in the laundry. Saves a lot of work as well as water.

Bev