How Are You Combating The Rising Cost of Living

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: How Are You Combating The Rising Cost of Living

Post by MackerelCat »

Bev, I am concerned about shortages again too,. Our little Food Lion supermarket is like the canary in the coal mine because it shows the effects of supply chain problems early. It has had a hard time getting restocked on a number of things recently.
Mackie
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

I have noticed that at the store by my house. I don't shop sales as much as I used to because of that and because I have had to impose so many restrictions to my eating. If there was a Whole Foods near my house I would shop there.

Bev
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I've been doing a few more surveys on Sunday mornings than what I would normally do. I don't have many places where I can cut back any farther - so "earn more" is the other option.

I do need to get back to walking most everywhere. I have been driving to work, stores, etc. - probably for a couple of months now - and there is no need to - everything is walkable. This may only save me a few dollars a week - but it's a few dollars a week.

I continue to plan my meals around staple ingredients that can be turned into other things and the reduced priced produce I find at one local grocery store. I also keep my eyes peeled for discontinued items and other markdowns. Like Mackie said, eating healthy is not optional.

I have stopped turning on any lights when I get up in the morning. My salt lamp is plugged in at night, out in the kitchen, and I light a couple of candles - that gets me by until daylight.

Most of the things I can think of to do - or not do - only amount to saving small amounts of money - but I strongly believe that those small amounts of money are very important. You will never hear me say "it's only 50 cents" or "it's only 5 dollars."
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:18 pm I've been doing a few more surveys on Sunday mornings than what I would normally do. I don't have many places where I can cut back any farther - so "earn more" is the other option.

I do need to get back to walking most everywhere. I have been driving to work, stores, etc. - probably for a couple of months now - and there is no need to - everything is walkable. This may only save me a few dollars a week - but it's a few dollars a week.

I continue to plan my meals around staple ingredients that can be turned into other things and the reduced priced produce I find at one local grocery store. I also keep my eyes peeled for discontinued items and other markdowns. Like Mackie said, eating healthy is not optional.

I have stopped turning on any lights when I get up in the morning. My salt lamp is plugged in at night, out in the kitchen, and I light a couple of candles - that gets me by until daylight.

Most of the things I can think of to do - or not do - only amount to saving small amounts of money - but I strongly believe that those small amounts of money are very important. You will never hear me say "it's only 50 cents" or "it's only 5 dollars."
Sheila I think you are so right. Those little bits of money here and there do add up and make a big difference in my budget.
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I'm not quitting my now mostly full-time job anytime soon, that's for sure.

Outside of that we're on the summer electric savings program (don't run any big, besides the AC, between 2 and 7pm), keep driving to a minimum, meal plan, garden, do our own maintenance on everything... The usual frugal stuff.

I don't really see it (rising costs) leveling off anytime soon.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Some excellent ideas here. Many that I already follow, but some that I need to look into....
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/