Mediterranean Diet

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Beverley

Mediterranean Diet

Post by Beverley »

I am finishing up reading a book on fighting inflammation and it keeps talking about this type of eating plan which I am interested in. It does not sound very difficult and it may be a way to get a handle on my A1C and blood sugar. I have most of the foods I need so I have started following this and I am feeling a little better today. I ordered frozen cherries and asparagus from Schwans today to be delivered on Wednesday. This fatigue has got to go and I hope this will help.

Have any of you eaten this way?

Bev
LogicsHere

Re: Mediterranean Diet

Post by LogicsHere »

I've been trying to eat a modified combo of the Mediterranean Diet and the Dash Diet and then toss in WW. WOW. I don't eat fish so the Med. Diet just wouldn't work for me. I unfortunately can't tell you how it would affect A1C as I began it after I went for my follow-up in April. It does emphasize a lot of vegetables and fruits so if you choose the right carbs (slow burning carb veggies) so it probably would help. Either of these are also recommended for good brain and heart health as well.
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

I love fish and have several tins of mackarel, sardines, tuna, kipper and salmon. It is rcommended that you eat fish twice a week so I have enough to last awhile. I will be getting salmon on my next Costco trip. I have nuts as well and with my once a week delivery of produce I am set for awhile. I am looking forward to seeing how all this works for me. Like I said it seems easy enough to follow and affordable as well, mainly because it's so filling that I find myself not eating much.

Bev
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

I cook a Mediterranean Diet much of the time. It is easy and seems normal to me. Olive oil, veggies, legumes, seafood, greens, nuts and a glass of wine. We eat chicken and I am diabetic and my A1C is below 7. Cook "real" food. I use fruit for desert most of the time (or no desert.) We love olives...

I have a cookbook, " The Mediterranean Diabetes Cookbook" by Amy Riolo. I like how every recipe is broken down to calories, carbs, starch, fat, protein... This cookbook has been a real guide for me.

I also try to stretch and exercise every day. My Fitbit really helps me keep track of exercise.

Regards,
JGomez
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Beverley wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:46 pm I love fish and have several tins of mackarel, sardines, tuna, kipper and salmon. It is rcommended that you eat fish twice a week so I have enough to last awhile. I will be getting salmon on my next Costco trip. I have nuts as well and with my once a week delivery of produce I am set for awhile. I am looking forward to seeing how all this works for me. Like I said it seems easy enough to follow and affordable as well, mainly because it's so filling that I find myself not eating much.

Bev
The smell of it makes me wretch til I vomit. I told my sister that if she wants to eat fish she will have to eat it out because if she tried to cook it here, by the time I finished, she would have lost her appetite.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

I am not really into fish much either but we have been eating this way lately more so because my son is on a gaining weight/protein muscle-making diet. So basically a lean piece of fish or chicken and then 2 cups of vegetables and rice or starch(a little bit). Basically, he roasts it all in the oven together with a dash of seasoning-I just bought several kinds today for different flavors! So it is easy to cook at least.I made lamb chops like this with roasted brussel sprouts but his usual is chicken or fish and two cups roasted broccoli and carrots and cup I think of basmati rice.