Daily Check in July 24. 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Beverley

Re: Daily Check in July 24. 2021

Post by Beverley »

While I was at Sam's Club yesterday I discovered a book that spoke to me about cooking. It's called "No Recipe?" "No Problem!". Sure enough it is a book that validates how I have been cooking for the most part. I Will follow a recipe if its basic and requires few ingredients. However I grew wearly of recipes that require tons of ingredients many of which I do not have or keep around. I could never see spending money on a item that I might use one time and then it sits in the pantry forever.

I have just started reading this book and sure enough it talks about my way of cooking; taking what you have and creating something to eat. I am really going to enjoy this.

Update on weather I may have spoken a little too soon. I have noticed a haze in the air high up and about an hour ago received a spare the air alert. We'll see what happens.

Bev
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I sewed a skirt by hand the summer between 7th and 8th grade. I saw instructions in one of my mom’s magazines from the supermarket. I rode my bike to the shopping center, bought the fabric, scissors, thread, pins, and needles I would need.

I impressed my great grand aunts with my tiny stitches. No one in my family sewed. I was later given a sewing machine and sewing lessons.

Until a few years ago, I made most of my clothes.

Now I mostly do fun sewing.

Penny
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

itspennyc wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:27 am My shopping helper wasn’t feeling well, so I placed a delivery order. It will be here between 11:30 and 12:30.

I did find my missing screw driver, it was in a drawer, not the drawer it belonged in but the drawer of my bedside table. It is now where it belongs. This screw driver has sentimental value. My late husband took my sewing machine screw driver because he couldn’t find that size than misplaced it. I made him buy me a Craftsmen screw driver to replace it. He kept insisting I didn’t need that quality. I said if you do so do I.

I moved my arm wrong during the night and my left shoulder is bothering me this morning.

This morning I hope to sort my fabric and put the assorted fat quarters in one place. I have a lot of them.

I want to see about re arranging the bedroom. I have to measure and see if it will fit. I would be getting rid of one bedside table.

Time will tell.

Penny
Penny,

I so love this !!!

Did he ever mess with your stuff again?

:::This screw driver has sentimental value. My late husband took my sewing machine screw driver because he couldn’t find that size than misplaced it. I made him buy me a Craftsmen screw driver to replace it. He kept insisting I didn’t need that quality. I said if you do so do I.

IC
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

itspennyc wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:24 pm He wanted the best of everything. I was satisfied with a product that had the features I wanted.

We did buy a Singer Featherweight sewing machine just before I found out we were expecting our first child. We paid $69 (about $613 in todays dollars. We bought a used one. I saved by sewing enough money to pay for the sewing machine before our son was born.

Penny
My mother was born in 1917, she graduated from HS in 1935, her dad gave her a White sewing machine, she used it all of her life, even had a sewing room in the house.

Not just clothes for her kids and herself, but for our dolls.

all of us learned how to sew on that machine, I was not good at all, I can sew bottom :roll: :roll:

IC
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

itspennyc wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:43 pm I sewed a skirt by hand the summer between 7th and 8th grade. I saw instructions in one of my mom’s magazines from the supermarket. I rode my bike to the shopping center, bought the fabric, scissors, thread, pins, and needles I would need.

I impressed my great grand aunts with my tiny stitches. No one in my family sewed. I was later given a sewing machine and sewing lessons.

Until a few years ago, I made most of my clothes.

Now I mostly do fun sewing.

Penny
Penny,

WOW just WOW !!!

You are amazing.

IC
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Penny, those Singer Featherweight machines now bring big bucks. They are very popular with the new generation that has learned how to sew.

I have been gadding about today. Got up fairly early and went to lunch with three of my old buddies who left the public radio station. We had such a good time. Everyone is doing so well. Then I bought groceries, drove across the river to Great Clips to get my hair cut, and stopped at Publix next door to pick up a few things. Got a big bottle of McCormick's vanilla extract from the clearance rack for $1.75!

In between all this activity I made an order with Chewy for cat food, dog treats, and potty pads.

The upholstery fabric I ordered from Toto Fabrics, which is an upholstery and decor fabric discounter, came in the mail today. It is really going to look lovely covering the cushions in the Mission chair. It was one-quarter what it would have cost at a regular fabric store.

Gotta keep pinching those pennies: DH found out today that his car needs $1,400 in suspension repairs, That will be done on Thursday. This did motivate him to defrost the fridge freezer, which has been leaking into the fridge, and cancel having a repairman come out.

Hope you all have a good evening.
Mackie