Daily Check In July 29, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: Daily Check In July 29, 2021

Post by HappyDaze »

Good Day Friends,

It's been a bear of a day. I didn't feel like myself when I got up this morning, for lack of a better way to explain it. I had to take Lucy to the Vet this afternoon and decided not to return to work until tomorrow - with the blessing of a most understanding boss.

It is rainy here and a lot cooler, though I suspect the humidity is still high. I have eaten a bunch of stuff and am feeling better - I had no appetite this morning, which is most unusual for me.

Off to knock off a few surveys then get busy with laundry, etc. Have a good afternoon/evening.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

Jackielou wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:57 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

I slept in today and will pay for it with rushing around. Stayed up too late and will now pay for it with a need to get things completed faster than I planned.

We have a very small baby rabbit in our backyard. It lets me get so close and then flits into the garden. I think I could hold the little thing in the cup of my hands. Really cute, but will be a terror on the garden. It will be another catch and release kind of thing. Second one in two years now.

Household tasks today are a minimum. I need to sweep the floor, water my plants, and that is pretty much it. However it is errand day and I need to go to the bank for our allowances, grocery shop, and pick up some flowers to change out the ones already on our little angels resting place. Then hopefully it will be off to pick raspberries a bit later. As you can see not a really busy day at all. However I likely will not be cross stitching until tomorrow.

Jgomez asked me what a blueberry glazed pie is and since it is a bit hard to explain I will post my recipe in the correct thread here on the forum.

Other than the errands and picking the raspberries my day is rather boring.

Supper tonight is going to be the last container of Hamburger soup and some egg salad sandwiches.

Today I am grateful for a bit of a cool down yet again today. However temperatures are on the rise again tomorrow.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Thank you so much! I have 6 high bush blueberry "trees". One is 8 feet tall! We have so many blueberries and could really use a new recipe or any ideas on how to use them up. I canned blueberry sauce (low sugar recipe), have frozen blueberries and now I need to make a pie. I have frozen 15 quarts and picked about 4 quarts today. I need to figure out what to do with them.
Regards,
JGomez
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

JGomez, blueberry baked oatmeal is a yummy make-ahead breakfast. The bottom of the pan is covered in a layer of blueberries and the oatmeal mixture poured over it. It uses up a lot of blueberries in a healthy way.

I am so tired. My crazy boss got the idea that I should make pennant banners out of a heap of scrap vinyl and a roll of twine, which I did, although it made my hands and back ache something awful. That took most of the day. Then I spent several hours getting my work computer back to right after the IT department did an operating system upgrade. So I am glad to be home.

Hope you all have a peaceful evening.
Mackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Mrscreative wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:20 pm Good afternoon beautiful people,

It’s been quite a while since I last checked in. Each day kind of melds into the other and sometimes I think I have nothing interesting to share. Today was also quite routine with plant watering and my usual daily walk. I did make a grocery run to NoFrills as I have a craving for eggplant parmigiana. I needed some ingredients, namely the eggplant. I will make it tomorrow and press the easy button tonight with leftovers and fresh corn on the cob. I didn’t get my dearly loved cherries as they were $3.97/pound. The Rainer cherries were $9.99/pound! Unbelievable that anyone would buy them at that price!

I have been enjoying watching the Olympic events but feel badly for the athletes as they are really not getting the full Olympic experience and are unable to do any sightseeing. It’s difficult to comprehend why less than 25% of Japan’s population has received the vaccine especially since they knew they were hosting the Olympics. It’s not like they’re an underdeveloped, third world nation.

I am extremely upset because Dh does not feel safe with Dd1 returning home for a visit from Denver. He is being adamant about it and needless to say all the rest of the family is upset. I think now is safer than it might be in a long time especially with Dd1 having to return to in person teaching. We’re all fully vaccinated. I made it clear to him I am not willing to wait another year and whether things improve or not, I will fly to Denver for American Thanksgiving if travel is still permitted. I was so looking forward to seeing her again. Mental health is important too and Dd1 is devastated.

We are in dire need of rain and some of the farmers around here are really feeling the pinch. The forest fire situation is not improving either and we have frequent air quality advisories. Fortunately we have no problem with getting adequate water from our city with Lake Superior in our backyard. Received our first electricity bill since we started using air conditioning and our consumption has definitely increased.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Creative
Creative, I’m so sorry that your DH feels this way about your DD1 returning home to Canada from Denver. I don’t think you’ll mind me saying that this is an extreme position given your vaccination status and the fact that you haven’t seen her in so long. I’m with you 100% about making the trip on your own at American Thanksgiving or whenever. What is life if we are going to continue to live in extreme (and in my opinion, unrealistic) fear. (((Big Hugs)))
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

Well I have picked raspberries and will freeze them later tonight. I did get those rather inexpensive blueberries done earlier.

While it was supposed to be relatively less warm here, the temperature actually reached much higher than it was supposed to.

Tomorrow I plan on doing some harvesting. I am pretty sure I will be dehydrating herbs, picking kale, and getting Hubby to dig under a few potato plants so that I can make potatoes and cream.

I, once again did not work on my cross stitch but did do a bit of knitting. Keeping working on projects is a very good thing.

Hubby is talking about getting a new fridge. He checked everything and nothing is blocking the drainage of water from defrosting, so he can't figure out why water is accumulating on the bottom of the freezer. This caused me to at least get on my hands and knees and chip out the ice that has formed. He said that I was getting much to old to be on my hands and knees getting the area cleaned. He is quite correct. So perhaps we will be shopping for a new fridge this weekend.

Of to get supper on the table, even though I am not that hungry.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:42 pm Update

Well I have picked raspberries and will freeze them later tonight. I did get those rather inexpensive blueberries done earlier.

While it was supposed to be relatively less warm here, the temperature actually reached much higher than it was supposed to.

Tomorrow I plan on doing some harvesting. I am pretty sure I will be dehydrating herbs, picking kale, and getting Hubby to dig under a few potato plants so that I can make potatoes and cream.

I, once again did not work on my cross stitch but did do a bit of knitting. Keeping working on projects is a very good thing.

Hubby is talking about getting a new fridge. He checked everything and nothing is blocking the drainage of water from defrosting, so he can't figure out why water is accumulating on the bottom of the freezer. This caused me to at least get on my hands and knees and chip out the ice that has formed. He said that I was getting much to old to be on my hands and knees getting the area cleaned. He is quite correct. So perhaps we will be shopping for a new fridge this weekend.

Of to get supper on the table, even though I am not that hungry.
Jackie if you get a new fridge look at the ones with the freezer on the bottom. My SIL talked me in to it many years ago. My last two fridges had the freezer on the bottom. It is so nice to not have to sit in a chair to get in the bottom bins and it makes it easier to keep a check on what is in the fridge as well as when you need to clean the drawers out.
Janet Alliesmama