Daily Check In July 31, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

Re: Daily Check In July 31, 2021

Post by LogicsHere »

Heard from my sister a short time ago but we had problems as my cable connection went in and out until it died. She was just crossing into Georgia and told me she was planning on continuing to Charleston, SC and stay there for the night. I couldn't get to see a map to see where I95 Florida/Georgia connected but both thought it was Savannah; it's not. It's Kingsland. Whereas she was going to drive another 2 hours, it's more like 3.

I'm glad I heard from her because just shortly before I got the call I was wondering how far she had gotten.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

LogicsHere wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:31 pm Heard from my sister a short time ago but we had problems as my cable connection went in and out until it died. She was just crossing into Georgia and told me she was planning on continuing to Charleston, SC and stay there for the night. I couldn't get to see a map to see where I95 Florida/Georgia connected but both thought it was Savannah; it's not. It's Kingsland. Whereas she was going to drive another 2 hours, it's more like 3.

I'm glad I heard from her because just shortly before I got the call I was wondering how far she had gotten.
I have driven that route many times, both with my mom and alone when I lived in norther Virginia. A good place to stay for her might be Hardeeville, SC, just over the Georgia, SC line. Lots of motels. I-95 does not go to Charleston if she is going to continue that way but maybe she is planning to take U.S. 17 part of the way.

My go-to stopping point when I drove from here to northern Virginia/Washington D.C. was always Santee, SC. Lots of motels and for me it was exactly halfway.

I have thought and still think about driving to New England but the part that makes me nervous is your area, NYC. We always drove over the Tappan Zee bridge (now the Cuomo bridge) but it is where all the highways come together in Westchester and I need to head to either the Connecticut Turnpike or Merritt Parkway that really makes me stress! I haven’t driven in that area for about 12 years.

Hearing about your sister, however, makes me want to go on a road trip! Good luck to her!
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

Well budget is entered (still have filing to accomplish) and even with the new glasses and lenses we both got we are under our total budget. Hopefully this coming month will be the same. Though I am a bit worried about the electric bill. Fist pump here.

Picked some kale. Man that veggie grows like crazy!!! I may be trying to get rid of it very soon up and down the street. Hubby says to try and sell it in bunches first. Nope, a bit out of my understanding. I notice others selling excess garden veggies on our Garage sale sites, so it isn't like it is not done. However not too many people like kale (has a bad rep here).

Did a bit of cross stitching and will be putting that aside for at least a week. I think I just may sandwich one of my quilt tops and perhaps even get it quilted this coming week.

Off to make a kale salad and look up a few recipes to try and use up the abundance we have been given. Perhaps kale chips...... must put the dehydrator to good use.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Update:

Finished the trimming and even trimmed a honeysuckle bush...I really don't like the thing but the bees and butterflies do so i leave it.

Dd also mowed at dads house, it needed it! the weather today has been so nice, not hot or humid...such a nice change.
i had tuna salad for supper...cleaned floors and am ready to soak in a hot tub of water and try to get the kinks out.
I did go to DG, was needing some cleaning supplies...busy and I was the only one with a mask...
Tomorrow is birthday party, holding it outside in a park....
JCKitty
jgomez1002

Post by jgomez1002 »

Lovely day today. DH and I researched and purchased bike racks
today. We researched the best for our our JEEP and we got a GREAT deal from U-HAUL .

I spent lot of time weeding gardens today. I finished painting my office yesterday, It is beautiful.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:05 pm I have driven that route many times, both with my mom and alone when I lived in norther Virginia. A good place to stay for her might be Hardeeville, SC, just over the Georgia, SC line. Lots of motels. I-95 does not go to Charleston if she is going to continue that way but maybe she is planning to take U.S. 17 part of the way.

My go-to stopping point when I drove from here to northern Virginia/Washington D.C. was always Santee, SC. Lots of motels and for me it was exactly halfway.

I have thought and still think about driving to New England but the part that makes me nervous is your area, NYC. We always drove over the Tappan Zee bridge (now the Cuomo bridge) but it is where all the highways come together in Westchester and I need to head to either the Connecticut Turnpike or Merritt Parkway that really makes me stress! I haven’t driven in that area for about 12 years.

Hearing about your sister, however, makes me want to go on a road trip! Good luck to her!
My sister did end up in Hardeeville, SC last night. She had planned to go a little farther but her GPS told her there was an accident somewhere ahead and there would be about an hour delay in traffic. She is planning to be around Washington DC for tonight's stay. Her cat took the drive OK, but couldn't understand why my sister wouldn't let her out of her "playpen" once they got to the hotel.

Today I will be running some errands for her as she couldn't fit the cat's litter box into the car so I will be picking up one for her as well as some food items so that when she does get here on Monday late afternoon probably, she doesn't have to worry about going to the grocery store. We can concentrate on unpacking the car and getting her settled. I've also ordered to surprise her with some things she was going to bring with her but just couldn't fit them into the car either.

This is a very hard thing she is having to do. Giving up her entire life as she knew it and having to start all over again. If you're in your 30s or 40s, it might not be such a big deal, but when you're in your 70s it is devastating.