Daily Check In July 31, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check In July 31, 2021

Post by floridacatlover »

LogicsHere wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:47 am My sister did end up in Hardeeville, SC last night. She had planned to go a little farther but her GPS told her there was an accident somewhere ahead and there would be about an hour delay in traffic. She is planning to be around Washington DC for tonight's stay. Her cat took the drive OK, but couldn't understand why my sister wouldn't let her out of her "playpen" once they got to the hotel.

Today I will be running some errands for her as she couldn't fit the cat's litter box into the car so I will be picking up one for her as well as some food items so that when she does get here on Monday late afternoon probably, she doesn't have to worry about going to the grocery store. We can concentrate on unpacking the car and getting her settled. I've also ordered to surprise her with some things she was going to bring with her but just couldn't fit them into the car either.

This is a very hard thing she is having to do. Giving up her entire life as she knew it and having to start all over again. If you're in your 30s or 40s, it might not be such a big deal, but when you're in your 70s it is devastating.
Yes, I’m sure it is hard for her making such a big change but it was her choice. She could have stayed in Florida. Personally I think I’d find it exciting.

If you talk with her today, you might suggest she take U.S. 301 from just above Richmond and she would avoid all of the Washington and Baltimore traffic. Mom and I often went this way driving to New England.

Exit to US 301 just above Richmond and drive through rural(ish) Virginia and over a small bridge just after Port Royal, Va. Continue on into Maryland and turn right at U.S. 50 heading towards Annapolis. (Looking on Google Maps, I see there is a Comfort Inn just off 301 right before the turn onto US 50 This is probably listed as Bowie, Md. This might be a good place to stay overnight.)

Route 50 goes over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Some people find this bridge scary but I never minded it and I don’t think your sister will mind it. Route 50 turns into 301 again and goes through rural(ish) Maryland. Route 301 merges with Route 13 at Biddles Corner, Del. and she would head north towards Wilmington and the Delaware Memorial Bridge. From there she will get back on the highway, New Jersey Turnpike or I-295.

Logics, look at the map and see what you think. Of course your sister may not mind going through Washington and Baltimore. Good luck to her!

P.S. From the time I was about nine years old, my mom always called me her navigator.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:42 am Yes, I’m sure it is hard for her making such a big change but it was her choice. She could have stayed in Florida. Personally I think I’d find it exciting.

If you talk with her today, you might suggest she take U.S. 301 from just above Richmond and she would avoid all of the Washington and Baltimore traffic. Mom and I often went this way driving to New England.

Exit to US 301 just above Richmond and drive through rural(ish) Virginia and over a small bridge just after Port Royal, Va. Continue on into Maryland and turn right at U.S. 50 heading towards Annapolis. (Looking on Google Maps, I see there is a Comfort Inn just off 301 right before the turn onto US 50 This is probably listed as Bowie, Md. This might be a good place to stay overnight.)

Route 50 goes over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Some people find this bridge scary but I never minded it and I don’t think your sister will mind it. Route 50 turns into 301 again and goes through rural(ish) Maryland. Route 301 merges with Route 13 at Biddles Corner, Del. and she would head north towards Wilmington and the Delaware Memorial Bridge. From there she will get back on the highway, New Jersey Turnpike or I-295.

Logics, look at the map and see what you think. Of course your sister may not mind going through Washington and Baltimore. Good luck to her!

P.S. From the time I was about nine years old, my mom always called me her navigator.

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion and thanks for your good wishes.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Florida,

Actually my sister didn't really have many choices. Her income alone would not sustain her living there. She'd have to try to find a full time job and would be back in the same boat if she couldn't work any more or decided she'd had enough.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

jckitty wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:44 pm Update:

Finished the trimming and even trimmed a honeysuckle bush...I really don't like the thing but the bees and butterflies do so i leave it.

Dd also mowed at dads house, it needed it! the weather today has been so nice, not hot or humid...such a nice change.
i had tuna salad for supper...cleaned floors and am ready to soak in a hot tub of water and try to get the kinks out.
I did go to DG, was needing some cleaning supplies...busy and I was the only one with a mask...
Tomorrow is birthday party, holding it outside in a park....
JCKitty
Kitty, I love honeysuckle! In someone else's yard, lol. My neighbor has some along her fence, so I catch a whiff of it every now and then. It's one of my favorite scents. But she has to beat it back to keep it manageable.
Patty