Being Frugal - is there anything that you are tired of?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Being Frugal - is there anything that you are tired of?

Post by HappyDaze »

Frugal Friends, are there any frugal habits that you have sustained long-term that you are getting tired of? Anything you do that you are sick of doing or don't do that you are sick of not doing?

For me, I am getting tired of eating beans (except in my homemade veggie burgers - those never get old), tired of eating oatmeal. I bought bagels and stuff for smoothies for my breakfasts this coming week because I just need a break from oats. I have been buying more sweet potatoes because I love those - and cooking less beans - although I did make a pot of them for this week.

There are some things that bother me not-at-all - like sleeping with the heat off in winter - I'm asleep, I'm under a pile of blankets, the pipes aren't going to freeze, I'm not cold!!! - yet a couple years ago I got so sick and tired tired of "never" getting my hair professionally done so I started doing that again - only 3 or 4 times a year but it makes a big difference. Not having a clothes dryer doesn't bother me one bit - but I got tired of making my own laundry soap and now I buy it - usually Purex or All when they are on sale and I have coupons.

I don't care anything about going out to eat so not doing that doesn't bother me - but I got sick & tired of walking to work in the most extreme weather conditions - so this past winter I started paying to have the driveway plowed (only had to do it 2x) and driving when it's very bad out in winter and very hot in summer.

Not taking extended vacations is something I don't care about, and I don't care a thing about television - but I got fed up with not having internet at home so I got that - almost a year ago now.

Do you have any frugal habits that you have altered or changed completely because you just couldn't take it anymore?
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Re: Being Frugal - is there anything that you are tired of?

Post by Jackielou »

Nothing really at this point. However I am sure that eventually I will want to update our internet package, which will cost more of course.

I guess I could say sewing my own clothes mainly because the ladies stores here cater to skinny, underfed bodies....Except for Walmart, and if one buys from there it is cheaply made and not worth spending hard worked for cash.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:30 pm Nothing really at this point. However I am sure that eventually I will want to update our internet package, which will cost more of course.

I guess I could say sewing my own clothes mainly because the ladies stores here cater to skinny, underfed bodies....Except for Walmart, and if one buys from there it is cheaply made and not worth spending hard worked for cash.
Jackie, it is so great you can make your own clothes and have them fit you like you want them to! New clothing is another thing I don't care about. I have taken a lot to the consignment store recently and hope to get a decent amount of store credit to pick up some "new to me" clothing.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Coloring my own hair, LOL. I've never had it professionally colored and I'm not sure I'd want to sit through the amount of time a pro would want to spend doing it (at home I'm done in under an hour). But while I did it for fun for years, I had let everything grow out in it's odd mix of silver, white, gold, grey, mousey brown and CLEAR (I have clear hairs, and they don't accept color - fortunately there's less than ~ 5-7% of them that are clear), and thought I'd come to terms with it. But the longer it went without color, the wilder and more wiry it got :shock: , so a few months ago and again last week I colored it "soft silver blonde" and for at least the first 2 weeks after application it is neither silver nor blonde (it's kind of breyish - brown/grey, and dark) until it settles down a little into a mix of grey and silver. Sure does soften it up and get rid of the wiry look, though.

It's the closest color to real "grey" L'Oreal has. I think a good colorist could get it grey and still conditioned well enough to tamp down its wiry tendencies. I also think it'll be another 6-8 years or so before I know that for certain ;) . I could do it, but then I'd just gripe at myself about why I went and did a silly thing like that while I still have kids to put through school.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

And now that I think about it, yeeears ago, I had a secretary who had buzz-cut silver hair. It was GORGEOUS, but seriously short, especially on the sides. I bet if she'd let it go longer, it would have done the funky wiry thing mine does.

She had nice features and could pull off super short hair. I can't do that. DH would probably say, "whatever you want to do, San," but there's really no reason to scare the populous like that. :lol:
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:02 pm And now that I think about it, yeeears ago, I had a secretary who had buzz-cut silver hair. It was GORGEOUS, but seriously short, especially on the sides. I bet if she'd let it go longer, it would have done the funky wiry thing mine does.

She had nice features and could pull off super short hair. I can't do that. DH would probably say, "whatever you want to do, San," but there's really no reason to scare the populous like that. :lol:
Sandi, my best friend just let her hair "go gray" and it looks wonderful. I am looking forward to when I can do that - not yet though, due to my job - I'm an "older worker" trying to "keep up" with technology and everything else and I just don't feel ready.

Charles M. Schultz