Daily Check in Wed, Aug 4, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jckitty

Re: Daily Check in Wed, Aug 4, 2021

Post by jckitty »

Mackie,
yes I have a rooster...he was a rescue...and a real piece of work!!!
The fiance brought him from someone that was just going to dispatch him because he was a rooster...not to eat, just to get rid of him.

He never tries to challenge me, I just cut him a look and he crows and runs off LOL

JCKitty
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:36 pm JCKitty, you have never mentioned having a rooster. Is there one visiting around the neighborhood? Sorry about your mama hen. They will try so hard to defend their nests, poor little things.

The new baby sounds lovely! I hope her mom gets some rest.

I am mired in computer troubles at work. The replacement for my now-declared-dead work computer has the same issue that sent the first one to the great technology graveyard, so tomorrow I'm bringing my laptop from home: heck, I know it works. It was rather embarrassing this morning having parents waiting for me to check in their kids and I could not get the computer to go. I finally got a note pad, took down their information and handed them their room keys until my boss showed up and got things working.

Today I did not have training, which was nice. Got to eat my lunch in peace and quiet too.

I'd say I'm looking forward to the weekend, but next week is going to be simply horrible. It's the week all the students move in and everyone in student services gets worked harder than rented mules. Totally not looking forward to that.

DH and I are totally puzzled by why everything has to be such a production now. When I was in college, the one year I lived on campus, I paid my fees for the semester, received my room key, carried my stuff up to my room, and that was it. His experience was much the same. We did it by ourselves with no fuss. Now families act like they're mobilizing Patton's Third Army in defense of Europe. They show up with huge pickup trucks pulling UHaul trailers and the entire extended family is stuffed into the vehicle or following in other cars. It is completely over the top and unreal, and it makes so much extra work for the college staff dealing with all those people. Yeesh.
So I learned a few things when I worked at a large University 2006-2011. Parents and kids these days insist on a home-like experience. Cable TV, wireless, etc. The Old dorm rooms are not good enough any more. As staff members, we were able to sing up to volunteer to assist with moving in. It was crazy. I actually met nice people. And it was easy to tell the boys pile form the girl's pile. the Guys had large TVs, some linens their Mom packed and technology. The girls had carpets, matching bedspreads, curtains, pretty things. And much more.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Maggie, the most popular dorms are set up like apartments, but the traditional ones are less expensive. The ones I help with are more traditional but have neat features like extensive built in bookshelves or large balconies (big enough to string up a hammock and sleep out there).

DH and I were both scholarship students and had to move ourselves, so we kept things down to the bare necessities.
Mackie
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:36 pm DH and I are totally puzzled by why everything has to be such a production now. When I was in college, the one year I lived on campus, I paid my fees for the semester, received my room key, carried my stuff up to my room, and that was it. His experience was much the same. We did it by ourselves with no fuss. Now families act like they're mobilizing Patton's Third Army in defense of Europe. They show up with huge pickup trucks pulling UHaul trailers and the entire extended family is stuffed into the vehicle or following in other cars. It is completely over the top and unreal, and it makes so much extra work for the college staff dealing with all those people. Yeesh.
When I was a graduate school at Trent University in Peterborough, Ontario, I was a Don for Lady Eaton College. I had a lovely apartment as part of my employment and an entertainment budget. I had NO IDEA about Patton's Army arriving with the students for the new year. YIKES! You aren't kidding!

The one I'll ALWAYS remember is a kid named David, just starting his first year. His mother and little sister dropped him off. No army of gear for David. As he said good-bye to his mother she informed him that his parents were getting a divorce and She was getting and apartment with his sister. As if that wasn't shocking enough for the first week of University life, when he tried to go home for Christmas, she'd rented a two bedroom apartment and had made no arrangements (like, "sleep on the couch.") for him to stay for the Christmas period. He didn't really have a relationship with his father.

Well, didn't I spend the next few months running a suicidal kid to the ER and helping him with homework he couldn't focus on and visiting in the psychiatric ward when it all overwhelmed him (several times). Somehow, he persevered and graduated with a teaching degree. I still think of him when I think/see how some parents treat their kids. Don't they even THINK of what they are doing to them? Or how their actions will affect them?

Sure surprised me!

(I got named Don of the year by the College for my work with my students and others as other students, not in my section of the dorm, had heard I wasn't scary to deal with and could come at all hours to get whatever help they needed. I'm still pretty proud of "my kids" and how well they did getting through their years as Uni students.)
Hope has a good imagination.
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:36 pm JCKitty, you have never mentioned having a rooster. Is there one visiting around the neighborhood? Sorry about your mama hen. They will try so hard to defend their nests, poor little things.

The new baby sounds lovely! I hope her mom gets some rest.

I am mired in computer troubles at work. The replacement for my now-declared-dead work computer has the same issue that sent the first one to the great technology graveyard, so tomorrow I'm bringing my laptop from home: heck, I know it works. It was rather embarrassing this morning having parents waiting for me to check in their kids and I could not get the computer to go. I finally got a note pad, took down their information and handed them their room keys until my boss showed up and got things working.

Today I did not have training, which was nice. Got to eat my lunch in peace and quiet too.

I'd say I'm looking forward to the weekend, but next week is going to be simply horrible. It's the week all the students move in and everyone in student services gets worked harder than rented mules. Totally not looking forward to that.

DH and I are totally puzzled by why everything has to be such a production now. When I was in college, the one year I lived on campus, I paid my fees for the semester, received my room key, carried my stuff up to my room, and that was it. His experience was much the same. We did it by ourselves with no fuss. Now families act like they're mobilizing Patton's Third Army in defense of Europe. They show up with huge pickup trucks pulling UHaul trailers and the entire extended family is stuffed into the vehicle or following in other cars. It is completely over the top and unreal, and it makes so much extra work for the college staff dealing with all those people. Yeesh.
My husband and son in law worked for the college and always hated start of semester because of parents actions. Worse than the kids.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:49 pm When I was a graduate school at Trent University in Peterborough, Ontario, I was a Don for Lady Eaton College. I had a lovely apartment as part of my employment and an entertainment budget. I had NO IDEA about Patton's Army arriving with the students for the new year. YIKES! You aren't kidding!

The one I'll ALWAYS remember is a kid named David, just starting his first year. His mother and little sister dropped him off. No army of gear for David. As he said good-bye to his mother she informed him that his parents were getting a divorce and She was getting and apartment with his sister. As if that wasn't shocking enough for the first week of University life, when he tried to go home for Christmas, she'd rented a two bedroom apartment and had made no arrangements (like, "sleep on the couch.") for him to stay for the Christmas period. He didn't really have a relationship with his father.

Well, didn't I spend the next few months running a suicidal kid to the ER and helping him with homework he couldn't focus on and visiting in the psychiatric ward when it all overwhelmed him (several times). Somehow, he persevered and graduated with a teaching degree. I still think of him when I think/see how some parents treat their kids. Don't they even THINK of what they are doing to them? Or how their actions will affect them?

Sure surprised me!

(I got named Don of the year by the College for my work with my students and others as other students, not in my section of the dorm, had heard I wasn't scary to deal with and could come at all hours to get whatever help they needed. I'm still pretty proud of "my kids" and how well they did getting through their years as Uni students.)

MJ congrats on a job well done.. Feel sorry for David what a witch his mother was to dump on him like that. Glad you were there for him.
Janet Alliesmama