California Recall Election

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Beverley

California Recall Election

Post by Beverley »

I decided to move part of my post that addresses this to a separate thread so people can see how important this is.

I am so disgusted with this recall crap in my state. The movement started before the pandemic with a hndfull of Trumpers deciding they did not like our governor. For one I guess they think one who is fat and ugly does a better job than someone fairly young and nice looking. I wonder what these people would think if he sported piercings and tattoos? Now it has gained momentum to the point that it could b a close race. The talking heads are all saying the democratic voters are apathetic and could cause a republican win. I like to think that it is because democratic voters like myself have nothing to go out and march or talk about because we planned to vote no from the outset.

The one major screwup Newsome did was going to that ritzy French Laundry party. He later apologized and admitted he screwed up but the cons will not leave it alone. Kind of like Hillary Clinton's e-mails: they will keep harping on it thinking it could trigger a gubernatorial win like Hillary's e-mails supposedly did with the 2016 presidential election (also a very close one).

The person (republican) leading on their side is a very conservative radio show talk host named Larry Elder. He is to the right of Trump. He wants to abolish minimum wage among other things. This guy is scary. Whats even scarier is I think the right wing underground will figure out ways to screw up the election such as stuffig ballot boxes. If Newsome wins the recall there will no doubt be the same types of recounts and "audits" is there was when Biden won.

This is all such a waste of time and resources. Newsome has slightly over a year left of his term. The right thing to do would be for him to be voted out of office the correct way..with a majority vote in a regular election. The right wing is blaming him for the heat waves, the wildfires, the drought and the pandemic (along with his "pretty boy" looks.)

This is nothing more than a power grab by the far right. A way to circumvent established election procedures.

Keep your ear to the ground folks. If this happens in California it can happen anywhere.

Bev
Beverley

Re: California Recall Election

Post by Beverley »

And so it begins....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/california-man-busted-with-more-than-300-ballots-for-upcoming-gubernatorial-recall-election-in-his-car/ar-AANHJ91?ocid=msedgntp

I don't ever recall these types of shenanigans occurring close to an election. Considering everything that happened after the presidential election I would not put it past the underground to try to pull something like this.

I don't usually post politcal type stuff and this is not about whether a candidate or incumbent is good or bad......it's about undermining what has been the basis of our democracy for over 200 years. And the taliban takeover...even though thousands of miles away may be adding fuel to the fire. We do have a lot of Afghani refugees in our state and no doubt will keep getting more.....they need a safe place to go.

Bev
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I read about it every day.

Yea they hate him cuz they ain't him!! LOL

I think it will fail. He will stay governor

They think just because dems/liberals are not out there acting like lunatics in the streets - means they will not vote. Hello - we got things to do.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Beverley wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:17 pm And so it begins....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/california-man-busted-with-more-than-300-ballots-for-upcoming-gubernatorial-recall-election-in-his-car/ar-AANHJ91?ocid=msedgntp

I don't ever recall these types of shenanigans occurring close to an election. Considering everything that happened after the presidential election I would not put it past the underground to try to pull something like this.

I don't usually post politcal type stuff and this is not about whether a candidate or incumbent is good or bad......it's about undermining what has been the basis of our democracy for over 200 years. And the taliban takeover...even though thousands of miles away may be adding fuel to the fire. We do have a lot of Afghani refugees in our state and no doubt will keep getting more.....they need a safe place to go.

Bev
UGH!

I have been following this on Twitter. So many people, of both political stripes are SO VERY worried that Elder could get in that there are pleas all day saying, "PLEASE go and vote NO!!" I will retweet them as I believe that Elder is a disaster not just for California but for all of the 245 years of Democracy in the USA. If he gets in and trumpers follow-up on how this is the "NEW America!" I'll probably stroke out. I've read about how he held a gun on his ex-fiance in several news reports and his sexist and racist (yes I know he is African-American) statements. He isn't the "win" that those who want Governor Newsome out think he is.

I really hope the vote goes NO next week but with shenanigans like finding ballots in someone's vehicle? I have my doubts. WHO provided those ballots and are there more people out there?!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

Right? It's like the Calif. democratic faction has been silenced by the media and then played out like we are in la-la land and could care less. That's not true! We care very much but we also have other concerns like our state burning up and people getting sick with covid all over again.

I find it weird that in elections petty issues are being blown all out of portion. First the Hillary Clinton e-mails. Now the French Laundry incident. Were these wrong doings? Yes they were. The French Laundry incident keeps being brought up because people here were ticked off about the lockdown while our governor was supposedy gallivanting around. He admitted he messed up.

I also like to think he has possibly helped saved my life by imposing the big lockdown. I know people got tired of it. They are tired of "being told what to do". To wear masks. To get vaccinated. To maintain personal space. But these are temporary solutions to a major problem. What happened to the idea of making small sacrifices for the common good?

For as long as I can remember California has always been the trendsetter. The GOP (such as it is) knows this. They know if they can hit California then it can go from there. The entire West Coast. Then the East Coast. The areas that are highly populated and have the most money. Even though they are not being very visible about it this group is multiplying. The people engineering this recall aren't just a group of unhappy Californians. I believe they have been traveling from state to state promoting Trumpism by whatever means they can come up with. The media has been sounding the alarm for weeks now and I started this thread for the same reasons.

If Newsom does win this recall there could be serious civil unrest. Our State will know now to button up the Capitol and State buildings to avoid a repeat of January 6th.

We are seeing what has been happening in Saudi Arabia. The Taliban also started out as a radical group who was able to gain followers over time to the point they are now in control. It could very well happen here.

To the admins of this forum I apologize. This goes beyond politics. This is some serious stuff we need to pay attention to.

Bev
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

I am so thankful to be retired from my career. Even though I got sick of the commute and traffic there was something invigorating about being at the State Capitol. It's where things happened. Peaceful demonstrations and protests. Political bigwigs next door. When I first came to Sacramento the building I worked in is right across the street from the Capitol. I remember taking a walk around the Capitol during a break and seeing Gov. Dukemajian also taking a walk near by.

Ther was a large and pricey restaurant two blocks from my workplace called Posey's. Inside was a huge bar where politicians would go hang out. During the holidays I remember during my afternoon breaks going there and seeing lots of co-workers and other State workers.

Unfortunately Posey's closed almost 20 years ago (I don't remember the reasons) and that area was repurposed into smaller eateries.

What we did and experienced back in the day could border on being dangerous today. I miss those times.

I remember not that long ago Portland Oregon was another nice large West Coast city. Now for the past few years it has become a hotbed of unrest. No way would I travel through there now.

Bev