Daily check-in September 9, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Daily check-in September 9, 2021

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. Cannot get to sleep so thought I would start the daily.

Yesterday they brought the marine home that was killed in Afghanistan due to a suicide bomber, There was a long procession with a lot of patriot guards and people lining the streets to the funeral home. His funeral will be Saturday. I know they are wanting to honor him but I am sure his family is exhausted from all of the processions and things they have been doing since it was announced that he was from the St. Louis metro area. The other day we also found out that one of the 5 military members that were killed in a helicopter the other day was another young man from St. Louis. So sad to be so young and die much too soon.

My aide has been on vacation all week and was supposed to come back to work tomorrow. She called me tonight to tell me she cannot come to work because she is coughing and sneezing. She went to urgent care and they did a covid swab but she will not get her test results for 3 days and they told her she has to call off sick. She has had the J&J vaccination but one of her adult granddaughters recently exposed her to covid. They are not sure if she has allergies or covid. So she will not be back until next week. Unless she has covid then it will be longer. Feel sorry for her she sounded horrible on the phone.

I will be taking it easy and just putter around the house and do some cooking. Not sure yet what I will be cooking but I do have food in the house to work with.

Yesterday I made a bacon and tomato sandwich with the tiny little tomato that grew on my deck. The others did not produce but that is my fault for not getting them planted in time and then the horrible hot weather did the rest. I am hoping that if we have a few decent weeks that one of the plants might blossom a little bit more and I might consider bringing it in the house. I read an article about growing tomatoes through the winter by bringing the plants inside. It is worth a shot.

Have a good and frugal day everyone and stay safe.
Janet Alliesmama
mbrudnic

Re: Daily check-in September 9, 2021

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning

Still have not heard about an interview. But I got my hair cut yesterday. And this morning I hauled my carcass out of bed and into the Y. My Fitbit seemed to be out of power and my phone app did not record correctly. I did not even record a mile and I know I walked around that track enough times...

Tonight after work I need to go over and put out trash at Mom and Dad's for pickup. And check on tomatoes. Otherwise work...

Have a good day,
Maggie
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Bonne matin toute le monde!

I have been up since 4 am. I listened to an hour show on CBC radio about how dogs and wolves are related. It was pretty interesting. I then kinda dozed off and off from 5-6 am and then after the 6 am news got out of bed. Don't know why I didn't sleep well. I see a nap in my future. Maybe before noon!

Today? Not sure what is going to happen. I have to decide whether to keep all my big coffee containers of toss them. I've been using them as kind of compost bins that I can put veggie peels in and such. BUT they are taking up counter space and I'm sure my friend who is going to begin helping me declutter will give me the side-eye! She's always laughing over how boxes seem to give birth in my place.

I'd like to make a couple of loaves of bread. Because my bread machine does a 3-pound loaf, I like to take the dough out and let it rise in regular bread pans and then bake it into to 1.5-pound loaves. They work better for size on sandwiches and in the toaster. Yah, I think that will be done today. A little fresh bread with supper will be good.

Can't see what else I'll get up to today. When I can't sleep well, I'm kind of worthless for the day. Guess I'll see if I can push through today.

That's the skinny from around here!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Hello friends.

Mackie, I’m glad that things have calmed own at the dorms. Hope that Lily dog and your cat (and your family and other pets, of course) are doing well.

Janet, hope you can nap today. I’m glad that your aide hasn’t been around you since she was exposed to Covid.

Maggie, fingers crossed on the interview.

I slept fairly well. Today I’m going to lunch with my Dutch friend to celebrate my birthday again. We are going to a Thai restaurant and I haven’t had real Thai food since early 2020. (I think I’ve tried every frozen pad Thai on the market and none compare although the brand Saffron Road was the best.)

Later today I’ll go to mom’s house and put out the two bags of yard clippings. I probably won’t work in the yard. I may go to my regular library since I’ll be in the area and I know they have a book I want available (but will doublecheck online before I go there.)

Pippi did not eat well yesterday and did not eat a lot of her breakfast. She is still eating the dry food, however. I need to get a certain amount of wet food into her each day because I’ve been giving her a powder called PhosBind (to lower phosphorus) each day since her last bloodwork in July. So far I’ve even able to get it into her most days.

Have a good day.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good morning beautiful people,

So far this morning I have cut up some fruit and veggie sticks , and I actually did a full fledged run! 4.55 km or 2.8 miles in 27 minutes. So I was very happy with that result! I am actually wondering about the accuracy of that result became that’s about a 10 minute mile and I don’t think I can run that fast.

I am expecting a telephone consultation from my medical oncologist this morning at 10, but he normally runs a little late. I am hoping he has the results of my blood draw yesterday and really hope my electrolytes are not out of whack. The main thing is that I am feeling great!

Today I am planning to try two new recipes : “Heal the World with Chocolate Muffins “, I know the complete antithesis of my exercise. And Floridacatlover I am going to try a THAI pasta salad, which I am substituting tofu for chicken. I will post them in the recipe section if they turn out okay. But I am having a friend over for a walk and then a lunch on our patio. I want something nice to serve and the pasta salad can also be heated. I like to prepare as much as possible in advance.

This afternoon I have a Walmart pickup at 2, and I will at least pick up the apples once again. It’s really important to take preventative measures to keep that neighborhood bear and her two Cubs out of our yard! Hopefully the raccoon will be discouraged from visiting as well and using our yard as a toilet.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Creative
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Hello all,
I slept pretty good last night!!!
MJ, I love to see films and pictures of wolves but really don't want to get close to one....we have a wolf sanctuary not far from me...family has taken inedible meat to them for feeding. I have heard that they also take road kill deer to the place also.

Creative, I would do everything I could to make sure the bear didn't come around. They scare the puddin out of me, I respect them and know they have their place but respect them from a distance!

Janet, I hope your aid doesn't have the virus and am happy she is not around you...if needed could you get a substitute?

It seems to be a good weather day, I hope to be able to spray the foundation of the house today. I will also put out some mouse "cookies" as it is that time of year.

Grand is back in school....she is happy to be back but grumbling about the masks. At 7 they have to be reminded a lot. But I think having to miss school reinforces the need.

I think I will vacuum and then run the floor cleaner. The fiancé brought in a really nice table lamp yesterday, it needs a deep clean and then I think the DD2 wants it. I will gladly give it to her!

Off to get going on stuff again.
JCKitty