Daily Check-In September 12, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

Re: Daily Check-In September 12, 2021

Post by icfrugal1 »

spent over an hour online with The Geeks, but now my spell check seems to be working

YEAH !!!

Got McDonald breakfast for DH, then took BB and Sophie to the park, left DH in the car and the dogs LOVED the park

This way the dogs and I can have a good time while DH eats, I hope to do it again.

otherwise, I'm in the car while DH eats. (boring) :roll:

it seems to be the end of the tomatoes, it's been a good season, I've given most of them to SIL, the least that I can do for everything that she is doing

IC
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Update:

The procession for the local Fallen Hero went right by my road, I didn't go down to the highway because it was super crowded. There was a wonderful fly by that lasted a long time...I just stood in my yard and did some prayers and contemplation. I was told there were 3000 motorcycles in the procession but don't know if that is accurate. The jets were sobering and a beautiful tribute. Service and burial are Tuesday.

I heard also today that another of my mom's siblings passed away today...she has had Alzheimer's for 6 years. The last 2 years have been really bad for my cousins. They kept her at home and it was very peaceful. No idea about services yet and will make my decision on attendance when details are given.
The brother will be out of town and said even if he were here he doubted he would attend as the virus is really bad in my area. They are overrun in the local ER's and the express med had lines out the doors.
The brother had to take his father in law to the ER for heart issues and said he had to battle his way in and it wasn't pretty.
I don't know these things because i just do not get out and around. I bought extra dog and cat food at the DG the other day...I am glad i did. IF the brother says it's bad, it must be....he even finally got vaxxed !!! He is a tRumper and was adamantly opposed before...don't know what changed his mind, just glad he did.
Have to admit I am shocked too...he was so vocal in his opposition.

i sorted dresser drawers this afternoon...ridiculous how much stuff that qualifies as rags I had stuffed in there.

JCKitty
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Good evening, frugal friends. I slept in again. All weekend I woke up at 7 am, but went back to sleep for a few hours. The rest was much needed.

Been pretty busy today. I gave all the dogs a bath and the ones who needed it a trim. They look just gorgeous! Did my laundry and all the dog laundry, then cooked my lunches for the week, cooked supper with plenty of leftovers for DH, and got ready for the coming week.

I have let the dogs out into the backyard about 400 times this weekend. Our Chinese neighbors who we share a section of chain link fence in the back yard have acquired at least four Moscovy ducks, which our dogs find fascinating to watch. The ducks are not afraid of them, so they must have been raised around dogs.

It's against the city ordinance to have farm critters in one's backyard, but we're not telling. :-D Muscovys are silent ducks (they don't quack) and they are doing an excellent job eating bugs in the garden over there, so we consider them good neighbors.

I hope you all have a peaceful evening.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Still just piddling around

But just read on a local town page that the big stores HEB and WalMart have empty shelves.

People are freaking out. We do have a tropical storm in the gulf.

Well we are okay here. Have plenty of toilet paper and paper towels. Food etc.

I go to the local independent store. It might be more expensive - but they always have stuff. :mrgreen:
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

by clemencia2us » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:52 pm

Still just piddling around

But just read on a local town page that the big stores HEB and WalMart have empty shelves.

People are freaking out. We do have a tropical storm in the gulf.

Well we are okay here. Have plenty of toilet paper and paper towels. Food etc.

I go to the local independent store. It might be more expensive - but they always have stuff. :mrgreen:
Yes, there is a tropical storm in the gulf. In the last several weeks I have had very few items taken off my list due to being out of stock. This past week I didn't get the cookies I ordered or 2 bottles of OTC medications.

But H-E-B has stopped carrying many name brand products in favor of their own brand. i have complained. So they have switched back to carrying the name brand.

I try and keep well stocked with both shelf stable and things like tissues, T-Paper, and paper towels. I use very few paper towels. But still like to keep a few rolls ahead.

Penny
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

itspennyc wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:54 pm Yes, there is a tropical storm in the gulf. In the last several weeks I have had very few items taken off my list due to being out of stock. This past week I didn't get the cookies I ordered or 2 bottles of OTC medications.

But H-E-B has stopped carrying many name brand products in favor of their own brand. i have complained. So they have switched back to carrying the name brand.

I try and keep well stocked with both shelf stable and things like tissues, T-Paper, and paper towels. I use very few paper towels. But still like to keep a few rolls ahead.

Penny
My nephew is a manager at HEB. He never tells us anything!!! But he was off yesterday and was called in to go to work. So who knows. He doesn't have just one store - he goes all over. Darn - he will not let us in on what is going on - which is good.