Daily Check In September 14, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check In September 14, 2021

Post by MackerelCat »

LogicsHere wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:35 am I'd be jumping for joy if I could fill up 3/4s of a tank of gas at $17. For me, I pay twice that for filling up at about 3/4s and then I don't even let it get that low; it's usually above the line by a bit. But then I also have an 18.5 gallon tank in my car.
Mine is an 11 gallon tank. I need to set the tripometer to zero and check the mileage with the new tires to see if they are aired up correctly. It seems like I'm using more gas than I used to before getting them.

In other news, I used part of my lunch break to schedule the annual mammogram on Thursday afternoon, and to schedule my flu shot and the first shingles shot.
Mackie
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Update:

I got my house chores done and cleaned the floors, they really needed it!
Not going to lie, my heiny is dragging! I just do not have the bounce back in energy and stamina that i used to have...I miss it...
Have been back to Dd2's house loaded my truck with bags of clothing donations...it filled the SUV! I will take them and donate them tomorrow while she is at work, we moved a few pieces of furniture around but she is exhausted also so we just quit for the night.

We bagged the clothing donations and emptied the boxes they were in so the boxes can be refilled. Bags are easier to load into the truck. She seriously has enough to fill a boutique. She is kicking herself over all the money she has spent on 'trendy" stuff and now it isn't up to date with todays trends.

Hearing thunder, supposed to get storms tonight...we need rain just not high winds and storms.

Thawing some ham for tomorrow, neither of us have been eating right...just grab and go, maybe we would do better if we have a real meal..
JCKitty
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

Still no movement on the oven fixing. It could be a good thing that this weeks menus are made with no oven. I changed things up a bit and have enough countertop appliances that I will be just fine. However I will need Hubby to plug in the stove and move it back to make supper tomorrow.

Did what I hope will be 2 weeks shopping. My province of Saskatchewan has only just over 1 million people and today we had over 500 cases of Covid diagnosed. Things are getting bad here once again.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Bonne apres midi!!

I was out for the first time in over a week today. I was a bit worried because all the electronics on my old car used to run the battery down. I was worried that since the van hadn't been used in over a week, it wouldn't start. WHEW! I was lucky, it did.

I was off to my monthly meeting with my PTSD Shrink and then off to Shoppers Drug Mart to pick-up my meds.

Had a good meeting with Doc Mac. Still having the same nightmares. Woke-up twice last night with a throbbing headache and got up with one today. Took some Tylenol and that helped. Doesn't look like I am going to shake these things. I could sure do without the headaches though!

I haven't spent a penny in over a week. I had hoped to buy eggs at Shoppers but I didn't know that the cheap eggs were only a weekend special. I usually go every Sunday but this week kinda begged off with myself. I'll get some next Sunday. They didn't have my meds refilled because they said they are waiting on a refill on Thyroid meds that I need to go to the doctor for. YUCK! I told them to just fill them. I'm not going to go sit in the clinic and then go to some lab (who knows which one now because the hospital had a note saying their lab wouldn't do it anymore) and wait another 2 hours in line for a 2 second blood test. Crickeys. I'm just not into the medical these days. Just toss me the PTSD meds and send me on my way. I know, it's probably not very good for me but. . .

I put in another loaf of bread today. I also unloaded and loaded up the dishwasher. I am making spicy ginger beef with teriyaki sauce over rice for supper tonight.

My friend, Angela, is coming over tomorrow morning after she drops her boys off at school and take an assessment of my organizing stuff and then we will get started. I told her she could take photos for her business set-up! It's such a disaster no one would know it's my digs! LOL

Tomorrow, I will, after Angela and I get done, go to Shoppers and get my meds and then to Zoe's as she has some cucumbers and tomatoes for me. We may get in a cup of coffee too. Not sure what time I will stop by but it has to be afterschool when Angela picks up her boys.

Tonight is just going to be cleaning up from supper and watching the California recall election results. I'm hoping they go the way that will save the democracy of California and slow down the mess at home.

That's the skinny from around here!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

I guess this is a frugal failing of mine but I never look at the price of gas. I just go by how much money I have to use to put gas in Zoe's van (yes! after 5 months I still have it!). A week ago, I had hit the red light on the gas gauge and put in $30 worth of fuel. It filled it up to under 1/2 tank. YIKES!

I didn't go out at all last week to save gas. When I go over to see Zoe and the kids it's all the way across town so I try to preserve gas as best as possible.

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:30 am Good morning, frugal friends. I just heard on National Public Radio that US consumer prices went up 5.2 percent in August. Totally believe that! However, the financial bigwigs think inflation is peaking.

I did get to the pharmacy and gas station yesterday. It was a bit over $17 to fill up, as I let the tank get too low, a little under 3/4 of the way down. Usually fill up at the half down mark, having never gotten over Hurricane Katrina-induced gas crisis.

Our old kitty, who has been pulling out his fur, saw the vet yesterday. The diagnosis is a flea saliva allergy. He does not have fleas, but apparently has such a severe allergy that a single flea bite months ago set off this reaction and he's been yanking out his fur in response to itching. Poor old guy! The vet gave him a steroid shot that's supposed to last a month and in that time he should start growing fur back. He already seemed to feel better by the evening.

I must confess to some entirely self-indulgent spending this week, having bought two new e-books on sale. Alice Hoffman's prequel to "Practical Magic" was released and was a BookBub deal at $2.99, and Mary Roach's new book "Fuzz" was released with $5 off as a pre-order. So nowhere near as expensive as it could have been, with two books for about $12.

I also ordered three blouses off Swap.com because lately we are being required to show up wearing university colors at meetings and for photographs, and I own nothing in those colors. (One of the colors looks really bad on me.) With a lot of looking, I found three blouses using those colors that should be acceptable and not look horrible on me. That came to $33 with shipping.

That, I hope, is it for the week!

Hope you all have a calm day.
Mackie, you got a great deal on the blouses. The other day I looked on eBay for petite tops in a brand that fits me well. I was totally shocked at the prices! I’m still living in the world of rummage sale prices. I can’t remember if you’ve ever used ThreadUp. I’ve heard a lot about them but have not signed up to look at their items.