Daily Check In September 18, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check In September 18, 2021

Post by clemencia2us »

I thought today would be the last warm day of the year - but no

Checked the weather app and looks like we might hit 100 on Monday. After that a "cold" front comes in and our morning lows will be in the mid 50s - I can wear my fuzzy robe!!
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

JackieLou

We buy our k-cups at Sams. And there are other sources online where you can buy them at lower cost.

You should be able to get a reusable cup online. I have one.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:50 am MJ thank you. At one time I weighed 250lbs. My weigh gain started as a child due to being molested by my teenage neighbor. I was not raped but still molested. The thing is I told my Mom and she did nothing. When I told her she told me to get ready for dinner as if nothing had happened. I did not start to address this problem until I was in my late 40's early 50's. Several counselors told me it was a double betrayal since he was a trusted neighbor and my Mom did nothing. As an adult in counseling I confronted her. She denied hearing me. I think she may have but knowing now that if my Dad had heard this he would have most likely killed the guy. Both counselors have told me my weight is an emotional attachment and that once I no longer am afraid of men I will loose weight without trying. I am now 76 and no longer attractive to men or even interested in being with one so I think that is part of my recent drop in weight. I like that I loose a little and stabilize for a while and then all of a sudden loose a few more pounds and stabilize. I somewhat understand what you are going through with PTSD and your weight loss. I do hope you can lose a pound here and there and stabilize like I have been doing over the years. It is a long journey and I wish you well.
Janet,

I am so sorry you had such trauma in your childhood. Your mother's denial of the event would be very difficult for a young child when we are told that "mother's will defend their children." We have learned that isn't always the case, sadly. What an awful thing to happen to you.

I can see how this would cause you to "hide" behind comfort food and weight. I've been told the same thing. I've gone up and down in weight my entire life. It started in 2nd grade when Nori told me I was FAT and that I shouldn't eat like the other kids. I look back on photos now and realize I was a normal sized kid with a "mother" that had a severe problem with me. Soon, it evolved to her buying my siblings clothes at the local (very nice) children's store and I got mine from the "Chubby Girls'" section of the Sears Catalogue. I still remember wearing safety pins at the waist so they'd stay on. It was one more way for her to humiliate me and it stuck. Stuff like that just doesn't go away.

You probably have your triggers to those sad days. They happen for me dozens of times a day as she attempted to destroy every aspect of my being. I hope your mother's negligence didn't hinder your life too much although it is very good you got therapy and sought out reasons for your difficulties in "feeling normal" in a world that showed you what wasn't normal AT ALL.

We keep on keepin' on and I am so happy to see that you have progress that is measurable in so many ways (weight loss, gardening, house, etc.). Don't let anyone tell you that you haven't done amazing things in your life. Being a survivor of trauma IS AMAZING!!

Hugs!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:47 pm Janet,

I am so sorry you had such trauma in your childhood. Your mother's denial of the event would be very difficult for a young child when we are told that "mother's will defend their children." We have learned that isn't always the case, sadly. What an awful thing to happen to you.

I can see how this would cause you to "hide" behind comfort food and weight. I've been told the same thing. I've gone up and down in weight my entire life. It started in 2nd grade when Nori told me I was FAT and that I shouldn't eat like the other kids. I look back on photos now and realize I was a normal sized kid with a "mother" that had a severe problem with me. Soon, it evolved to her buying my siblings clothes at the local (very nice) children's store and I got mine from the "Chubby Girls'" section of the Sears Catalogue. I still remember wearing safety pins at the waist so they'd stay on. It was one more way for her to humiliate me and it stuck. Stuff like that just doesn't go away.

You probably have your triggers to those sad days. They happen for me dozens of times a day as she attempted to destroy every aspect of my being. I hope your mother's negligence didn't hinder your life too much although it is very good you got therapy and sought out reasons for your difficulties in "feeling normal" in a world that showed you what wasn't normal AT ALL.

We keep on keepin' on and I am so happy to see that you have progress that is measurable in so many ways (weight loss, gardening, house, etc.). Don't let anyone tell you that you haven't done amazing things in your life. Being a survivor of trauma IS AMAZING!!

Hugs!

MJ
MJ thank you for your kindness and support. It means a lot to me.

I am so sorry to hear what your mother did to you and that as an adult you are still dealing with it. I do not understand why some people have to do horrible things to others that affects them for the rest of their lives. You work hard at trying to keep your life on track. I know it is difficult but at the same time you keep working on it. That is the important part. I know you try to do things that make you happy when you are sad. Keep your spirit growing.
((Hugs)) right back at you!

Your friend, Janet
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Cannot get to sleep. I have the window open and listening to the crickets and the frogs in a pond not too far from my house. There is an owl that hoots occasionally. I call it Katie Owl in honor of our friend Kate in Wales. Just heard some coyotes howling off in the distance. Teddi and I went out for his last potty break around 10:30 PM. The night sky was so pretty with the moon and stars and the evening air was cool. I do love living here and listening to the sounds of the night.

Hope everyone sleeps well and has a good night.
Janet Alliesmama
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

ChristmasTrees wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:00 pm hello all. Got home from our camping trip last night....had a great time. Spent today putting everything away.
Did a lot of biking...some really hard trails..very hilly. Got my kayak in the water..DH wasn't even in his boat yet and I snapped a rudder cable. Couldn't fix it there so...packed the kayaks back on top of the truck and went biking again.
The weather was perfect.
Still..nice to get home.
Welcome home, Trees! I’m glad that you had a fun camping trip. This is the perfect time of year for outdoor activities in your area.