Daily Check In September 24, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check In September 24, 2021

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning everyone. I have been having ongoing computer problems and then my computer crashed again. I am so frustrated. I did manage to get back online but had to install Google again. Lost so much information and time trying to get things reset.

We are having lovely cool mornings around 45 F and warming up nicely into the low 80's F by afternoon. Then cool clear evenings. Love this time of year.

I am getting outside a few times during the day to pull weeds and clip weeds. I let my side porch go too long due to the bees were enjoying the vines with flowers and I could not deny them their food. However with the cold weather they have taken off for somewhere else so I started clipping yesterday and today. It looks so nice. This morning I started to tackle the rock garden jungle that is in the front of my house. I had it all cleared out last year and the earlier part of this year but then we had a lot of rain and heat. I cannot tolerate heat so it went rogue on me again.. ggrrrr. I actually talked to my contractor a few years back about just putting down a concrete slab but he said the cost would be a lot more than I could afford. Then my brother told me that is the area where the waterline comes in to my house.. Bummer! Cannot put down carboard due to termites and will not spray things due to Teddi. I actually have had it cleaned out by professional 3 times and had weed barriers put down. My great nephew came in and removed the bricks and the weeds and put down more weed barrier and the weeds still cae back. I had bricks put down with sand in between and the weeds still find a way. My contractor said he has never seen weeds that were so aggressive. I am going to make the nontoxic weed killer that is online but at the same time things still are so thick and huge they will still need to be clipped and hauled to the burn pile. I careful clipped a huge poison ivy plant that keeps coming back near my front door. I was very careful clipping each branch with long handled clippers Then without touch them, using my long handled clippers, removed each branch to a field far away from my house. I think while it is still green the sap will not affect me but once it dries the sap will blow on the wind. I was careful to wash up and not wear my slacks or shoes into the house. The clippers are soaking in alcohol in the garage. I do have my poison ivy weed killer but have not decided when I will put on my hazmat suit and tackle it. Baby steps.

I am way behind on reading the forum so I will try to do that off and on the next couple of days. Hope everyone is doing ok?

Have a good day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Hello friends.

Patty, I’m so sorry about your friend’s ex’s parents. It’s sad to not even feel safe at the grocery store.

Pippi had her fluid appointment late morning and she was feisty because I only gave her 1/4 sedative. Secretly I was happy that she was animated. Vet nurse said as long as she is eating and drinking, sleeping a lot is not unusual.

Pippi and I then drove to mom’s house to put the big can back in the garage. I didn’t even go into the house.

Now the workers are completing the new carport dividers. It was partially done awhile ago so I called the lady on our board handling it and that got them going.

The rest of the day will be quiet.

Enjoy your day.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Update:
Called CVS at 12:15 as instructed...truck had delivered rapid covid tests...so I bopped in and bought 6 boxes with 2 tests in each. They are 24.00 each box but I want them available for family and friends. DD,Son in law and grand all have to have a negative test before returning to work. I also want to replace the one used on DD by her nurse friend. They do not expire until 6-2023. I have no problem sharing. I also want some available for DD2 because of her office workers.

Patty, I am praying for your friend in hospital and for shooting victims. It really does seem like we are in a dark place. I could easily cry if I let myself think too much.

JCKitty
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Janet, a good non-toxic weedkiller is vinegar and salt. We use that on our brick patio, which is old and has weeds growing in the cracks, because Round Up is dreadfully toxic to dogs.
Mackie
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

chocolite wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:20 pm Mackie, can you just tape a piece of cardboard over the vent? We did that in an office and it worked really well. Funny thing is, the guy (boss) who kept cranking down the A/C never even noticed. If he had, he would've made us take it down for aesthetics. But we figured what he didn't know wouldn't hurt us, lol.

Good morning all and happy Friday. I'm heading out in a minute to run some errands. I'm picking up an item I bought off FB and groceries from Kroger. I've been doing either Walmart or Aldi, but there are a couple items we can only get at Kroger so I do shop from there occasionally, even though the bill is always more.

My friend who's in the ICU with Covid - her name is Shannon - her husband posted an update this morning. She's still in quite serious condition with bilateral Covid pneumonia and a bacterial pneumonia. Still on 100% oxygen. Good news is she's mostly alert and responsive. Her DH says she needs to start eating as well as BREATHING. We are all praying for a miracle.

And I found out this morning that in the terrible shooting yesterday in Collierville, the next suburb over from us, a friend of mine's ex-husband's parents were both shot. The mom was grazed twice on her arm and will be fine, but the dad was shot multiple times. He had emergency surgery yesterday, and his recovery is going to be a long painful process. It just seems to be a very dark time around here.
OMG, I'm so sorry about your friends' parents.

Praying and pulling for Shannon.

IC
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

MackerelCat wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:11 pm Janet, a good non-toxic weedkiller is vinegar and salt. We use that on our brick patio, which is old and has weeds growing in the cracks, because Round Up is dreadfully toxic to dogs.
I've used vinegar, it did discolor my cement, but the weeds did stay away for a while.

In the front, I use my weed wacker, but I can see that you wouldn't want to use a weed wacker on poison ivy.

IC