Daily Check In September 24, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check In September 24, 2021

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:46 am My lovely boss and I are having thermostat wars. He* has the AC going and I am freezing to death, so the space heater is blasting away beside my desk. My next unreimbursed work purchase may be one of the magnetic covers to go over the AC vent on the wall opposite my desk. :-D

*He is from the Midwest and walks around all winter without a coat on because "it's not cold here." I am a senior citizen with a failing thyroid and am COLD.
We have had cooler weather, but noticed that the AC was still coming on today.

Well what do you know - the COD turned it down! And there he is all bundled up in bed, while I am freezing in my room. I turned it up. He is weird. Wants the heat at 80 or so during the winter. Why isn't that good enough in summer?????????? lol
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

icfrugal1 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:29 pm I've used vinegar, it did discolor my cement, but the weeds did stay away for a while.

In the front, I use my weed wacker, but I can see that you wouldn't want to use a weed wacker on poison ivy.

IC
It took nine years, but I managed to get the poison ivy out of our back yard at last by cutting it down with the long clippers to the ground and then carefully putting a dot of Round Up or Brush Be Gone on the cut stems. There's a tiny patch of it at the front of the house in the ditch we share with our neighbors and I just clip it down, since I can't very well spray their property.
Mackie
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

clemencia2us wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:33 pm We have had cooler weather, but noticed that the AC was still coming on today.

Well what do you know - the COD turned it down! And there he is all bundled up in bed, while I am freezing in my room. I turned it up. He is weird. Wants the heat at 80 or so during the winter. Why isn't that good enough in summer?????????? lol
Because as the ex-H used to say, in this part of the country the summer heat is 80 and humid - but the winter's heat from a machine is DRY heat :roll: .

Just like the AC in summer is "dry cold" but the cold in winter is wet and miserable.

He was from New Jersey, maybe it's a northern thing. ;) Now he's in FL and is all "I hate it here!" and it's like... you work for yourself you m0r0n - move, nothing is keeping you from AZ or NV. I guess he feels like he has to be at least within 2 states of his GF and mom, though (both are in the (humid) state where he met one and then moved the other and then... just left them there (separate living arrangements, they hate each other) to go to FL to fix up a condo for rent, fixed it up and never went back. His GF visits him sometimes (her name is on the condo mortgage) but complains because he has no intention of ever actually renting it out, he just lives in it now. Ex-H is weirder and weirder as he ages, glad he's not local :D .
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Bonne apres midi toute le monde!

It is a nice sunny day here in Manitoba. The temperature is perfect. I'm enjoying it.

This morning, after the news, I got into watching some shows on Netflix. I don't know how I got onto watching the Paris terror attacks of 2015 but there I was, it was just interviews with the people who had been at the various locations, the police, firefighters and city officials that were being interviewed. The accounts were stunning and that these people survived is a true miracle. It was all in French with subtitles. I was pleased with myself in how much of my rudimentary French I understood from my year of living in Gaspe, Quebec. I also thought, "you should be watching more French TV with English Subtitles turned on!" I then found my way back to Spygate where I learned about a couple of spies, Robert Hassen and Snowdon (can't think of his first name). That Hassen guy had been spying for the Ruskies for 25 years and gave stuff away that got agents and double agents murdered. He was sentenced to life in a federal prison. Snowdon is the guy so many people plead for him to be forgiven. He gave away over 11 MILLION documents on flash drives that WikiLeaks published a lot of and the Russians, Chinese and anyone who wanted to got them. Why do people think he should be "forgiven?" Well, the info he released told that the NSA was spying on Americans. Gee, ya think? The one CIA guy said that if all the files he gave away were printed on 8.5 by 11 inch typing paper the stack would be 4.5 MILES high. He can stay in Russia.

This afternoon, I had leftovers of the BBQ hamburger (I made it for supper last night) as an open-face hot sandwich for lunch. I think I might have mac&cheese for supper.

The other plan is to use up the liter of milk in my fridge making more muffins. I do NOT drink milk. The only time I use it is for baking or cereal and I rarely have cereal. I plan on making more of the maraschino poppy seed muffins and depending on how much milk is left will look up another recipe of some kind.

It's Friday night and I usually have a couple of $3 pizzas from the frozen food section at Shoppers Drug Mart in the house. Not this Friday. Looks like Pizza Palooza is off this week. :geek:

That's pretty much the skinny from around here!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

It has been a quiet day, though I did get a recorded call saying my drug package was stopped at the border and the police would be calling for me... New one, so I wonder how many more of these I will get.

I got my friends quilt sandwiched and even started some of the quilting. Hope to finish that tomorrow and get started on the binding (need to find something that kind of goes with it). Would love to get this out of the house on Monday.

Hubby has set up a bank meeting with our advisor on Tuesday at 10 am. This is to change his pension savings to a RIFF or an annuity. I lean towards a RIFF. This is something that has to be done when a person turns 71.

Off to get a bit more done on the quilt. I may even get the quilting done before the end of the night.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Update:

Jackie every time you mention the quilt your are making for your friend I think about the clothes I have from my dad...part of me wants to use them for something like that but part of me says the clothes are way too nice to cut up...my dad was a "snappy dresser". I am leaning towards donating them. I have all of his caps if anyone wants a memento.

I have passed out the rapid covid tests...we shall see. I am not taking one, I have no symptoms am vaccinated and am isolating so...I am keeping 2 tests here for just in case.

Strange supper, last 2 egg rolls and some fries :roll: I love my toaster oven!
I think i will mix up some oatmeal raisin cookie dough. I think i will freeze it in small balls and then bake a few at a time.
TV and reading tonight...

JCKitty