Covid Supplies

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Covid Supplies

Post by floridacatlover »

For those who have had Covid or had family members who had or have it, what would you suggest keeping on hand in the house? Being alone, I want to have some things that will make me feel better - just in case.

Clem and others recommend Pedialyte. I’ve never used it and rarely use Gatorade but I’m going to buy some Pedialyte.

Clem also said she used Vitamin C with Zinc.

Mackie said her doctor told her what to take to feel better. What was it?

I keep very few OTC medicines on hand - aspirin, Tylenol, cough drops. I do have a thermometer.

Any ideas?
Jackielou

Re: Covid Supplies

Post by Jackielou »

Rumor has it Vitamin D helps as well.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Pulse oximeter? If your oxygen goes to low, it can give you an idea of when to call for help.
Have you ever used a Neti Pot? I'd have to get the solution for that, but it can help clear out mucus.
Vicks/Generic mentholatum for mild congestion.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Yes for some reason I had purchased a powdered vitamin C mix. 1000mg of Vitamin C, zinc and B vitamins.

My brother kept an oxygen meter onhand also.

Get easy to make meals - soups maybe. Basically lived on liquids.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Vit C, Zinc, Tylenal , gatorade , pedialyte, Vit D, allergy meds, broth, bottled water,and jello are some of the things used so far.
IF you can find rapid tests it might be good to have some on hand.
Milk products produce flem, I know that is misspelled but you know what I mean I hope.
Frozen OJ has also been requested.

I will add as I think of stuff.
JCKitty

I will add that Gatorade is not to be found around here....I have been looking at recipes to make it homemade.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

My doctor said to use Mucinex for congestion and to take Vitamin C and Co-Enzyme Q10, 100 mg. of the latter once a day, along with 200 mg. of Vitamin D3. She recommended 5 mg. of melatonin for sleep issues related to Covid. We also took the 8 hour version of Tylenol for fever and body aches.

I already take Co-Enzyme Q10 to prevent a reaction from the statin for high cholesterol. It is a little expensive to run out and buy if you don't already use it. We had the other supplements except for the melatonin, but boy, did we ever need the melatonin. Covid messed our sleep up.

If fever is very bad (say 102 for an adult, like DH had), you can alternate Tylenol and Advil: take Tylenol, then three hours later take Advil. Then three hours later take Tylenol (if using the 6 hour version), then three hours later take Advil. You must be sure to write this down so you don't get confused and accidentally overdose yourself, and stop it as soon as the fever drops to something that can be controlled with just a regular dose.

We had Gatorade, the lemon-lime flavor, for DH. He's a Type 2 diabetic and ran a high fever. We had orange juice and ginger ale for me and DS. We did not have much appetite and mostly ate crackers, peanut butter, fruit, toast, cereal, cheese, ham sandwiches and some canned soup.

We had an oral thermometer for each family member and a pulse oximeter that we all used.

I also sanitized dishes in a pan of water with white vinegar and dishwashing liquid added before putting them in the dishwasher and used tongs to get ice from the ice bin in the fridge. Had Cholrox sanitizing wipes for the doorknobs and kitchen/bath surfaces.
Mackie