What the Pandemic / Lockdown Has Taught You

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: What the Pandemic / Lockdown Has Taught You

Post by HappyDaze »

I learned to be better at stocking up and keeping a big cabinet stocked with canned goods at all times.

I learned that, while I had always been envious of people who worked from home, that working from home is NOT for me - I hated it.

I learned that I could stay home for four solid weeks, not going anyplace, and be okay. I walked the dogs and stepped outside very day when my neighbor (the decent one) did to say hello from a safe distance. I managed to stay peaceful and content for the most part.

I learned that I liked having the internet at home (my work supplied me with a MyFi).

I learned that the little things I have lost were big things - my book club, my craft group, my hiking group, visiting my parents for Sunday lunch.

I learned that, with my asthma, I can't climb the three flights of stairs to my office while wearing a face mask - thank goodness for elevators.

I learned that I am part of an amazing team at work and together we rewrote policies, got hundreds of people working remotely, found creative ways to serve those we help - and we keep fighting the fight to this day.

I learned that I am lucky and blessed because my job wasn't lost, my home wasn't lost, I haven't been sick and haven't lost anyone close to me from the horrible virus that changed life as we knew it. I also learned that I take a lot for granted.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:42 pm I learned to be better at stocking up and keeping a big cabinet stocked with canned goods at all times.

I learned that, while I had always been envious of people who worked from home, that working from home is NOT for me - I hated it.

I learned that I could stay home for four solid weeks, not going anyplace, and be okay. I walked the dogs and stepped outside very day when my neighbor (the decent one) did to say hello from a safe distance. I managed to stay peaceful and content for the most part.

I learned that I liked having the internet at home (my work supplied me with a MyFi).

I learned that the little things I have lost were big things - my book club, my craft group, my hiking group, visiting my parents for Sunday lunch.

I learned that, with my asthma, I can't climb the three flights of stairs to my office while wearing a face mask - thank goodness for elevators.

I learned that I am part of an amazing team at work and together we rewrote policies, got hundreds of people working remotely, found creative ways to serve those we help - and we keep fighting the fight to this day.

I learned that I am lucky and blessed because my job wasn't lost, my home wasn't lost, I haven't been sick and haven't lost anyone close to me from the horrible virus that changed life as we knew it. I also learned that I take a lot for granted.
Awesome things learned.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I have learned to stretch what I have.

To keep an even better stocked pantry (one never knows what we will not find in the stores).

Recycle, reuse, have become even more important in my life.

Being able to download books onto my Kobo while (still doing) the library is closed.

Being able to keep in touch with old friends via Facebook, Twitter, and Facebook rooms. Used Zoom every so often as well.

Having close friends who are vaccinated, going for walks, watching Mass online.

I also discovered that I am quite content for the most part to be away from people. I think I could become a hermit quite easily.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

I learned I am not hermit material. My profession is very adaptable to working from home. I like to work from home for a few days a week and go in a few days a week. I miss hanging out with people.

I am amazed at the different ways different people, even those with a relevant education can interpret scientific studies. Maybe that has always been the case but it was not as obvious as social media has made it.

I let clutter build up in my space until I have a good (usually external) reason to clean it up.

My floors are the cleanest part of house because of my Robo vac. I clear clutter off the floor for it. LOL!
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

I think I learned to use what I already know to be true.
I learned also to be more content with what I already have and that means so much more than "shopping at home"

I have also found that for me insta cart is a wonderful thing that I don't see myself giving it up anytime soon. I do not miss going into a grocery store.

I have also learned that I cannot let my anxiety control/cripple me.

I have learned to be happy because I have enough and to stress to my family that even with all we go thru we are so very Blessed.

JCKitty
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I think I have turned into hermit material. Which is really not good? But then, I tell myself that I’ve probably have had to interact so much with people that it is nice to hermit for a while.