Daily Check In October 12, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Re: Daily Check In October 12, 2021

Post by SandiSAHM »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:18 pm
I drove DH there and back to the eye surgeon to be assessed for cataract surgery. He'll be getting it in late November and early December, which gives us time to put together the deductible, co-pay and facility fees. DH was rather cranky about the testing as the techs got hung up on his rare visual oddity: he does not have binocular vision and can switch from one eye to the other. He dislikes being talked about instead of to, so I could see why he was getting peeved.
I have the same problem (non-stereo vision, I 'switch' eyes depending on what I'm doing). If your hubby is up for a great read from a person who was trained into stereo vision after monocular sight (well into adulthood, after having believed it was impossible after a specific age), "Fixing My Gaze" by Susan R. Barry is amazing. Working to understand her issue drove her into neuroscience, so she can explain things in plain English and 'science-ese,' LOL. I've never been able to explain "how" I see to DH, so after I read the book I gave it to him, he read it and said "OH... that explains SO MUCH" (right down to my tunnel vision when driving - "Did you see that...?" "No, honey, I'm DRIVING" - I rarely see anything beyond the road itself unless I'm either a passenger or at a red light for a while). Now, he "gets" it.

It's kind of funny in parts because she married an astronaut - he has amazing spatial awareness and for a long time his wife had little to none.

Which reminds me, I need to see if anyone around here offers the kind of training Dr. Barry had that allowed her 3D vision. I could use improvement, if not full-on 3D - I've never had it, so I'm worried it would be such a change that I might lose my "adaptations" and end up walking into (or worse, driving into :shock: ) walls or something.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:18 pm
I took him home and then I picked up a few things at Family Dollar for Homeless Buddy, who is in the hospital, and then stopped to see HB before going to work.

HB has been in the hospital twice in a week, with an overnight stay the first time, and turning around and going right back a few days later due to having a heart attack in the interim. He may be facing a triple bypass. We'll know more tomorrow afternoon when they do an investigative procedure on his heart. He's so frail that they decided to start letting him rest and eat for a day between tests, as he can't tolerate day after day of fasting for tests. Today was a rest and eat day, which he was very glad of.
So sorry to hear about HB. It's as if he has gotten hit with one thing after another, after another, after another.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Hi all,

I Am Freezing!!! :D

I'm Subbing today, and this classroom, not this floor, is feeling like an arctic-breeze is blowing through the building. Although, perhaps that is because icy winds have moved in a cold front that has been giving us rain, and Snow, all day!

Ahh well, the day is nearly over, and then I move onto figuring out dinner, then taking first ds17, then myself, to Eye appointments (which I deserately need--it's been 4 years since I had new glasses). If I have time after preparing dinner, well there's Parent Teacher Conferences for ds13 this evening.

In other news, I attended my neice's wedding last Wednesday in the Church of Jesus Christ Bountiful Temple: it was soo beautiful!! For her wedding gift, I bought a bunch of red & blue (their colors) small kitchen items, and I added in several dishcloths that I knit for them--one of which was a "F" dishcloth, which looked hard but was quite easy. I'd found a list of Free knit patterns for the English Alphabet Letters, plus other shape patterns, and decided to give it a go... turns out it was quite easy. So much so that I'm making another "F" dishcloth for them in the "barn red" color that I lucked out in finding at Joann's (well the label says warm red). Next I'm going to try making a star dishcloth.

School is almost out, so I'm going to gather up my things, set the room to rights, and leave before the "big" rush of students.

May you all have a great day. Today I am thankful f or this rain... the drought here is still quite bad and we desperately need the moisture.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

jckitty wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:28 am Hello all,
We had a rainy evening and into very early morning with some pretty interesting wind. Calm, cool and dry now.
I need to make a trip to the donations center as there are things in my SUV that need to be out. Don't know if that will be today though. I don't need anything from town so no errands to combine.

Usual house chores today and will clean the low hanging eves, leaves and pine needles....it is that time of year. :roll:
I am thawing chicken leg quarters, thinking sticky chicken but not sure yet

Found out last night that one of my DD's cousins by marriage has passed from cancer...she was a kidney transplant receiver and has lived with the kidney for 9 years and then got cancer. She was a sweetheart and had been through so much.

It has been a slow morning for me, will turn the twinkle lights on

JCKitty
Sorry for your family's loss.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

SandiSAHM wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:58 pm I have the same problem (non-stereo vision, I 'switch' eyes depending on what I'm doing). If your hubby is up for a great read from a person who was trained into stereo vision after monocular sight (well into adulthood, after having believed it was impossible after a specific age), "Fixing My Gaze" by Susan R. Barry is amazing. Working to understand her issue drove her into neuroscience, so she can explain things in plain English and 'science-ese,' LOL. I've never been able to explain "how" I see to DH, so after I read the book I gave it to him, he read it and said "OH... that explains SO MUCH" (right down to my tunnel vision when driving - "Did you see that...?" "No, honey, I'm DRIVING" - I rarely see anything beyond the road itself unless I'm either a passenger or at a red light for a while). Now, he "gets" it.

It's kind of funny in parts because she married an astronaut - he has amazing spatial awareness and for a long time his wife had little to none.

Which reminds me, I need to see if anyone around here offers the kind of training Dr. Barry had that allowed her 3D vision. I could use improvement, if not full-on 3D - I've never had it, so I'm worried it would be such a change that I might lose my "adaptations" and end up walking into (or worse, driving into :shock: ) walls or something.
That book sounds great! DH could never play sports because he can't hit a ball in the air well, but he could swim like a fish as a kid and was good at running and biking.

He once played an amazing verbal prank on the eye surgeon I was seeing. Eye doc looked up and caught him switching eyes. he asked DH what he did for a living, and DH said, "I work for Great Big Transportation Company." The doctor blanched and said, "You don't drive a truck, do you?" and DH cheerfully said, "No! I fly the plane!" :-D
Mackie
Momof2Still

Post by Momof2Still »

Good evening,

It has been a long time since I posted, but I do read the Forum several times a week when I can. I wanted to let those of you that are having the header message, that at times I get that message when I am trying to log into my bank or my school account (I am a teacher hence the no time to post). If I clear my history catche, then I can log into those accounts without any problems. I don't know if that will help in this case, but I wanted to toss it out there in case it does help.