Daily Check In October 17, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Mrscreative

Re: Daily Check In October 17, 2021

Post by Mrscreative »

Good morning beautiful people,

What a beautiful, bright and sunny autumn day. It’s quite chilly at 8 C or 46.4 F. Actually a bit above seasonal but we have just had such beautiful weather. I have pulled out my toques, heavy weight spring/ fall coats and my light gloves so if dressed properly will be perfectly fine. I spent over an hour in the garden, picking red Swiss chard and parsley. I did a bit of “. apple picking “, nothing like before and gave the potted plants some water. They are still holding up remarkably well except for the basil. It really doesn’t like the cold. And I gave the perennials and shrubs in the ground a watering too as it’s been dry.

Dh is leaving for golf shortly so I am planning to take in some local fall activity, perhaps visit a pumpkin farm or local nursery. No doubt they might be getting ready for Christmas!

We are not seeing any of the shortages of goods or groceries which I have seen on the tv but I do plan to start my Christmas shopping early. I always keep my vaccine passport in the car as more and more businesses are asking for it. Each province varies so this is probably not an issue for Jackie or MJ just yet.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Creative
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:30 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

A bit warmer today so my morning walk before Mass should be just lovely. I guess we are going to the later one today.

Yard pretty well finished and cleaned up. I have two pots left on the deck which contain Mandeville vines. Those things are hardy. I am actually thinking of taking some cuttings and trying to root them over the winter.... Hmmm, wonder how Hubby will like more greenery in the house???? The larger ones are not inexpensive and around here with only 3 months growing time bit is necessary for many things.

As pretty much all baking and cooking ahead for the freezer is now down, I plan on working on oldest DS's quilt once again. I should be at the sandwich stage by the Wednesday and then the quilting and binding can begin. Hopefully done by the end of the week. Then I can perhaps go back to working on my own quilt for a bit.

The scarf may take awhile yet as my knitting fingers were not moving very quickly lately. Hopefully done soon so that Christmas knitting projects can be started. I have almost finished the orphan ball of grey, and will add the leftover ball to it. Should reach that point tonight.

I found a free pattern for a cat dishcloth and I figure I just might be able to adapt it into a knitted blanket for youngest son. I also found a pattern for applique which just might be suitable for a quilt.... Keeping your generous offer in mind Penney.

No real household chores to accomplish today, other than making my next weeks to do list, and on my to do list for today is finish homework for Bible study. I need to finish early so I can work on what I say as leader for the next session. Not the best at public speaking so things need to be written down and in the proper order.

Frugally there will be no money spent, and I will continue on the use up the leftovers campaign. Drapes will be left open to let in the sun and heat. Then if it gets too warm we will open a window or two.

I will also be phoning oldest DS to wish him a happy birthday at some point today. Hard to believe that the youngest turned 40 yesterday at 1:20 in the morning and the oldest turns 45 today at 3:20 in the afternoon. Not only did the boys arrive almost 5 years to the day apart, but both arrived at 20 minutes past the hour. In fact our daughter arrived at 12:20 am on September 19th. Must have had a fixation on 20. LOL.

Supper tonight is going to be roast beef, along with roast carrots and the remains of the turnip roasted as well. I think I may try and make a mousse type dessert. We will see how hot the kitchen gets.

Today I am grateful that we are having a respite from the cold and dreary over the last few days.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Happy Birthday to both your boys Jackie.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Beautiful Fall day here. The plan is to empty all the flower pots and trim everything else back.
Floridacat..if you are popping in once in a while...miss you.
Does anyone have Rinty's address..and has anyone heard from her?
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Hello all,
Got up for my Sunday Morning shows and they weren't on....football stuff . For me, yuck!
I decided last evening that I am calling the hairdresser and getting a cut and color. I really thought I could deal with my "natural color"...dark blonde. Turns out I hate it and am going back to high lights...heavy high lights, I don't like the up keep but I don't like the natural color even more :roll: .

I have my bed stripped and remade for the most part...will finish in a bit.

It is cold (for me) this AM, but sunny. Some of the family are going to a pumpkin patch but I am not...slight headache and just not feeling it. Fall break next week,

Laundry done but no clue as to what the rest of the day will bring.

JCKitty
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

Nice and sunny out, but also chilly - wonderful. Good sleeping weather - if only the pups would let me sleep.

Oh well what can you do?

Think I will make bacon and eggs for breakfast - dreamed about that last night.

Have two tasks I have to do today.

Have a great day all
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

It's 55 degrees F. here now. Was a lot cooler when I got up.

I am being a slug and am still in my fluffy robe on the sofa. Goldie Dog is lounging next to me, looking very fetching. Homeless Buddy called me but did not make a lot of sense. He is so anxious the hospital is keeping him nearly knocked out cold at this point. He has PTSD from the pancreatic cancer surgery he had 13 years ago and would prefer to simply be sedated for the next two months.

I have ordered DH an "iPad pillow," which is a pyramid shaped pillow for supporting a tablet for reading. He has borrowed mine and likes it.It comes from an Etsy seller.

I plan to make spaghetti with Italian sausage and peppers tonight for the week ahead. Supper will probably be pancakes, bacon and eggs.
Mackie