Make room!

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Re: Make room!

Post by mbrudnic »

I go back and forth about a freezer. I could put one in my garage. My one in the fridge is usually full. I often cook in bulk and store the rest in the freezer. However, I live alone and there is a Kroger literally across the street from my apartment complex.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I have two refrigerators.

A counter depth one in the kitchen and regular basic one in the washroom

It used to stay stuffed, but I have cut back to once a month Schwan's purchases. Got one today.

They now have brisket, so had to get some.

I try to make sure we eat what we have. But do have to clear out the pantry.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

ohjodi wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:02 am Last night I was thinking about what foods I want to stock up on, because winter is coming, I don't want to run to the store much in the snow and ice, and covid, and there are shortages. I was reaching into the freezer of my fridge, plunking ice into my glass of water, and thought "I'd love more freezer space", when it hit me.............why do I have an ice bin and two ice trays, when I don't use much ice at all? I used to drink tons of iced tea, but don't anymore.

They take up 20% of my freezer space! The bin is on the lower shelf, the two trays on the shelf above. All I really need is one tray of ice.

TA-DA! I'm so excited! LOL The one tray of ice can sit on top of whatever boxes are in there.

I need to poke around some little-used cabinets and shelves, see what's there, make more room for stocking up.

Do you need more freezer or food storage space? Is more space staring you right in the face?

I gave up my automatic ice maker several years ago when I realized it took up too much space and I usually ended up throwing the ice out after it had been in the bin to long. I would love to get a small chest freezer. My other one died a few years ago. I am saving up to buy one if I can find one by the time I get the money saved.
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

MackerelCat wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:52 pm Sandi, I use those clear plastic Sterilite shoeboxes in our over the fridge freezer to corral the partially used bags of frozen breakfast meat, shredded cheese, pepperoni, nuts, etc. that wind up in there.
That's smart; I ordered 4 shoebox sized, to see how they fit. The top shelf could handle something with more depth, so if the shoebox "footprint" works, I'll see what they have that's taller.

Thanks for the idea!
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

I have a large freezer-on-the-bottom fridge and keep a week's worth (guestimate) of meal ingredients there plus things we ue alot (quick pre-packaged meals, butter, low carb snacks, pouch mixes, etc.). I have two freezers in the garage: LARGE upright and middle-of-the-road sized chest type. I keep meats in the upright and "incidentals" in the chest (frozen vegetables, dry ingredients, low carb noodles, melba toast for snacks, rices and such in individual serving containers, etc.). I use 2-gallon ziploc bags for each type of item in the chest to prevent the need to practically stand on your head to reach what you're after (pick up the bags by their tops, lift/shift/move and then place them all neatly back in place).
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I am quite short and had trouble reaching things on the deep side of our little chest freezer. The other side is only about half as deep because it covers the motor underneath.

We discovered that a couple of plastic jugs that used to hold cat litter can be washed out and filled 3/4 of the way full of water, frozen and laid flat in the deepest part. That raises things up to my level with only a small loss of storage. They are essentially two giant ice cubes and can help keep the contents cold if we lose power.
Mackie