How Do You Menu Plan, Daily, Weekly, Monthly?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jckitty

Re: How Do You Menu Plan, Daily, Weekly, Monthly?

Post by jckitty »

I used to do meal planning more when I had family at home.
I think because I basically use the same things over and over but maybe in different ways.

if things are on sale and I use them regularly I will buy enough to get to the next sale (at least) so monthly shopping would work for me except for fresh stuff. If I run out of fresh I substitute .
So much depends on the size of family, and willingness, ability to get to a store in my opinion. Also how a person eats...like Mackie I don't eat a lot at supper. It used to be our big meal when family was here, home from school and work and everyone at the table.

JCKitty
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I have tried to do twice a month shopping in the past, but never made it past ten days because DS was still eating our groceries and he drank a lot of milk. I would love sometime to split up the shopping and see how long I could go without going to the grocery store because I'm very flexible about what I'll eat. But that will be if life ever returns to normal: right now shortages at the grocery store are making me be careful not to run down the pantry or freezer.
Last edited by MackerelCat on Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mackie
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I do that mainly. I shop the sales each week and I plan my menus based what I have on hand. I generally only buy loss leader meats and such. And canned goods. I do still have to shop weekly or every other week for bread milk and produce. I plan my meals a couple days in advance. Last week I got three pounds of stew meat on sale. I used a lityle more than a third to make beef stew which gave me twoeals a lunch and two freezer meals plus I have the rest of the raw meat.

I find it does save me money.but it's important yo note that I eat almost anything in using all proteins and that I have a good top freezer and am experienced in freezing foods do they stay good. Cooked or uncooked. Also if I dint have something to make a meal I substitute.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Jackielou wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:35 am Since I read on a blog yesterday this has bothered me. It seems that according to Amy D (Tightwad Gazette author) those who plan monthly menus and only shop for what is on their list actually spend more than those who just shop the sales.

feel Amy D is correct?
I don't understand why people are commenting that she is wrong, but then prove her point.

You all are stocking up on sales, and then planning menus from what you already bought, on sale, or what is currently on sale.

Amy said that "those who plan MONTHLY menus and only shop for what is on their list actually spend more
than those who just shop the sales.
"

They buy what they plan to make for the month, whether it is on sale or not. They only buy what is on their list, they don't buy whatever other deals they might find. They have to be spending more money.

I don't think anyone, here, shops like that at all.
ohjodi
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

ohjodi wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:14 pm I don't understand why people are commenting that she is wrong, but then prove her point.

You all are stocking up on sales, and then planning menus from what you already bought, on sale, or what is currently on sale.

Amy said that "those who plan MONTHLY menus and only shop for what is on their list actually spend more "

They buy what they plan to make for the month, whether it is on sale or not. They only buy what is on their list, they don't buy whatever other deals they might find. They have to be spending more money.

I don't think anyone, here, shops like that at all.
Well actually not what she is saying. Her article according to the paper says to shop weekly sales only and make your menu up from that.

In actuality that is perhaps what I used to do, but now that I have a very (put in extremely here) well stocked pantry I don't shop every week, make menu's the day I shop for a week, or make my menus up from what I managed to purchase on sale.

Sale shopping in my little city in Saskatchewan is not great, we don't get mark downs (never have even at the best of times), coupons are almost nil (I really think she who shall not be named lied about her deals), and shopping sales for a weekly or even biweekly menu plan just did not work.

Now yes I do buy some items on sale, yes I do stock up on good sale items, but I go shopping once every two weeks (saves money in the long run, and keeps me safe from those stupid anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers that are in my city and can't follow the arrows in a store). I only buy what is on my list but I make my list up from fliers and what I need to replace. I buy many an item not on sale every time I go shopping, milk never goes on sale here, and eggs rarely. If I need it and it is not on sale I purchase it.

By making a monthly menu I save time. I know what I need for the upcoming month and if I see something that is needed down the road for a planned meal I will buy it during one of my two shopping trips.

What I purchase this month (other than dairy, produce, eggs, coffee and such) may not be used until months down the road. That is how I shop and how we eat around here.

I do just buy what is on my list most times. I never enter a store without a list, and if what is on my list be it sale or regular priced item is not available I do not substitute another purchase. We do without cause more than likely there is something at home in my pantry I can use. And yes I have found since starting this method of shopping, sticking to the list, buying if a product is on sale or not and making a monthly menu I have shaved close to $300.00 of my last months grocery budget.... Reason, I am not filling my cart with "great sale" items.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Jackie I would suggest that you are shopping more like she suggests. I mean, I understand that not everything you buy will go on sale. Having read her book multiple times although I'm not a huge fan many are this is one of the articles that I'd best in the series. I would say you are at least half way using her system, leaving the monthly planning out.