How Do You Menu Plan, Daily, Weekly, Monthly?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ohjodi

Re: How Do You Menu Plan, Daily, Weekly, Monthly?

Post by ohjodi »

floridacatlover wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:44 pm
Which issues were you in?
Both have illustrations. I"d post a scan of them, but I don't see how we can do attachments, here.

The first was Oct '94, Issue 53, p 5. It's also in the 2nd book. It's a fried egg costume I made for my little sister when she was 3, and I was 15. That's called being very creative while poor, LOL Amy drew a pic of it! She added the volleyball eggshell hat........mine just had a smaller fried egg on her head. I was so thrilled!

The second one is in the last 2-3 years of issues (half my pile has somehow been misplaced, lol). In the Tightwad Gazette III book, it's on p 83. "A Tale of Tightwad Transformation update". It's a drawing of before/after getting the tightwad gazette. Before is a big stack of bills, and a short stack of the gazette. After is a short stack of bills, and a tall stack of the gazette. I drew a pic of it, and she re-drew it (of course!).

I'm really proud of those, if I do say so, myself, lol I was such a huge fan (and still am). I mean, she illustrated both of them, I got an autographed book, two free years of issues, they're printed in two gazettes, book 2, book 3, and the final "complete" book.

Thanks for listening to me pat myself on the back, lol
Last edited by ohjodi on Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
ohjodi
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

While I was looking through Amy's 3rd book, I came across a description of her garden.........

EIGHT THOUSAND SQUARE FEET! Can you imagine?! I don't know if that includes fruit trees, and berry bushes. Do any gardeners here, know? Do you include those in your garden measurement?
ohjodi
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

ohjodi wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:43 am While I was looking through Amy's 3rd book, I came across a description of her garden.........

EIGHT THOUSAND SQUARE FEET! Can you imagine?! I don't know if that includes fruit trees, and berry bushes. Do any gardeners here, know? Do you include those in your garden measurement?
We don't our cherry and pear trees are not part of the garden layout.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

ohjodi wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:43 am While I was looking through Amy's 3rd book, I came across a description of her garden.........

I also need to ask where on earth she lived. The farm had a garden of about 5,000 sq feet and that was huge to me.

Our garden here in the city is about 800 sq. feet and everyone here says that is huge for the city. Half of our backyard is pretty much given over to growing our own food.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Jackielou wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:03 am I also need to ask where on earth she lived. The farm had a garden of about 5,000 sq feet and that was huge to me.

Our garden here in the city is about 800 sq. feet and everyone here says that is huge for the city. Half of our backyard is pretty much given over to growing our own food.
She lives in Leeds, Maine, in a huge old farmhouse.
https://vintageaerial.com/photos/maine/androscoggin/1967/RAN/10/11
ohjodi
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

8000 sq feet is just shy of 1/5 of an acre. I bet she spent a LOT of time canning and processing :shock:

There's a lady who volunteers for Global Gardens (https://global-gardens.org/about) in Tulsa who, when she retired several years ago, added on to her garden to help one of the local food kitchens. Now she's at almost 2 acres of garden exclusively used to support 3 large food kitchens with the overage going to smaller organizations, not an ounce of it is sold. It's become what drives her. The rest of us are in awe, LOL, it's really not easy getting OK dirt to produce well, and the weather is so unpredictable that you have to be on your toes, at the start of the season particularly.

I think orchards are measured in # of trees if they're super small, then by the acre if it's being "farmed." I've read that it takes 5-10 acres of whatever kind of fruit tree you have to produce enough to support a small farmers stand.

That surprised me; my parents used to have ONE plum tree that produced by the hundreds every summer. I got SO sick of plum processing that to this day I won't even look at plum jelly (which, as a diabetic, is for the best ;)). I've never seen apple trees that prolific - a neighbor once used to bring us 10-12 bags per year of what looked like Bartlett pears, he had 2 pear trees that were there when he bought the house and no love of the fruit.