How Do You Menu Plan, Daily, Weekly, Monthly?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: How Do You Menu Plan, Daily, Weekly, Monthly?

Post by floridacatlover »

Like GMPGbsaid, we all prefer different ways of shopping and that’s OK. At this stage of our lives, most of us are just trying to do the best we can and save money but enjoy our meals, too.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

floridacatlover wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:15 am

This does sound like it saves the most money. But I don’t see where she specifically mentions produce but I’m guessing they use frozen and canned and don’t have salads in the winter.
She had an extensive garden, so they had a lot of their own fresh produce, and canned a lot. She also bartered.......something like she stored someone's piano in exchange for a ton of blueberries, or something like that.

I loved getting that newsletter! I still have them, and the books, around here somewhere, lol I'm in the newsletter two times, both with illustrations! They're also in the books......she sent me an autographed copy of one of them. I still feel special :-) lol
ohjodi
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I third the fact that we all shop differently and there is no One Way, even to save money. We'll all save money differently I often dont cook from scratch which is one of the "official rules" but I keep my grocery numbers low and eat well.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

ohjodi wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:59 pm She had an extensive garden, so they had a lot of their own fresh produce, and canned a lot. She also bartered.......something like she stored someone's piano in exchange for a ton of blueberries, or something like that.

I loved getting that newsletter! I still have them, and the books, around here somewhere, lol I'm in the newsletter two times, both with illustrations! They're also in the books......she sent me an autographed copy of one of them. I still feel special :-) lol
I have the newsletters starting at number 25 to the end, 79 I think, plus the several family letters she wrote after ending the newsletter. For the first issues, I have the early book. I can’t remember why. I never bought the complete book because I had the newsletters.

I used to read them over and over and was a bit obsessed but haven’t looked at them in a long time. Still, I couldn’t declutter them and have no plans to do so in the future!

Which issues were you in? That is so interesting! I’d like to see your contributions.
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

My planning menus is opening the pantry and frig and cooking what looks good. I had liver and gravy last night, a meal most people wouldn’t eat. I have bought canned meat in case of power failure this winter. Some are quite good.
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

I make my grocery list according to what needs restocking since we've all fallen into a pretty set routine of what we like to eat (my mom used to say if you had ground beef and potatoes you could prepare a meal).

I keep whole chickens, steaks, ground beef, roasts for the slow cooker (both beef and pork), chuck roasts to make beef stew and something or other that is on sale that sounds good (last week it was country style ribs). In the freezer section I buy broccoli, winter mix, cauliflower, okra and squash (making a new recipe for squash casserole for Thanksgiving), carrots, chopped onions, California Blend, Mediterranean Blend, Cool Whip (to top our sugar-free Jello) and unsweetened strawberries.

In produce I buy salad fixings, baking potatoes (we don't eat a great deal of potatoes so it's more feasible to buy 10-12 bakers than an entire bag), onions, apples, Cuties, cucumbers, raw broccoli and cauliflower (we all like these with the dip), baby carrots, cabbage, squash when available and fresh strawberries and blueberries and blackberries when available. Tried something new I'd never ever heard of...Plumcots...a cross between plums and apricots. Okay, but I didn't fall in love with them.

Once the pantry and freezers are full I just sort of wake up thinking: I'll fix this tonight (or I might have informed everyone the night before that I wouldn't be cooking at all the next day, lol).

I also order many things online that aren't available locally.