How Do You Menu Plan, Daily, Weekly, Monthly?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: How Do You Menu Plan, Daily, Weekly, Monthly?

Post by Jackielou »

Quilter51 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:00 am Jackie I would suggest that you are shopping more like she suggests. I mean, I understand that not everything you buy will go on sale. Having read her book multiple times although I'm not a huge fan many are this is one of the articles that I'd best in the series. I would say you are at least half way using her system, leaving the monthly planning out.
See and I take it as she is saying go shopping once a week, and buy what is on sale. Then make your menu from what you have purchased that week. Could be slim pickings around here.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
GMPG54

Post by GMPG54 »

Sounds like most things, there isn't "one size fits all"
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I have the original Tightwad Gazette newsletter that discusses meal planning, what Amy D calls the Pantry Principle. October 1993.

It’s a combination of what’s been discussed. In a nutshell, she advises having a well stocked pantry and freezer taking advantage of rock bargain sales. If chicken is at a low price, buy a lot. If flour is at a low price, buy a lot, etc. Only buy sale items each week. (To get a stockpile buying only sale items would take a LONG time IMO. There are items I never see on sale, especially since COVID.)

Having a well stocked pantry and freezer, then she and her DH plan meals only a day ahead, taking the weather, schedule, preferences into account.

She says they stockpile large quantity of items that go on sale less frequently. She mostly shops once a month but picks up sale items when she’s running other errands but they don’t take advantage of every sale. If they run out of a bargain item, chicken for example, they won’t have any chicken meals until they catch a good stock up sale.

This does sound like it saves the most money. But I don’t see where she specifically mentions produce but I’m guessing they use frozen and canned and don’t have salads in the winter.

I’m glad I didn’t declutter my newsletters and the index! If anyone has more questions I can cite her specific language.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Yea I remember that she doesn't seem to take in fresh produce or dairy in her writings and I get berries and bananas and other fruit and salad and milk weekly. So I use part of my grocery budget for that.

I do an menus exclusively from my pantry and not her than a week ahead due to weather, unexpected appointme ts, changes in taste and so on. Sometime I use the sale meats to cook in my large crockpot and freezeike thus werk and sometimes I just divide them up.but im cooking for one not ten peopleike she was.

I want to buy the big book that has everything in it.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

I subscribe more to the Clemencia program of menu planning, lol. Especially now, when I don't know from day to day how much I'm going to be able to stand and walk.
Patty
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I remember they used powdered milk, which can be stocked up on, and probably stocked up on cheese when it was on sale since it can be shredded and frozen.

Like I said, it's been a while, but I seem to recall they used up fresh produce first, like fruit, and then turned to frozen and canned as the days went by.
Mackie