Daily Check-In - November 20, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Mrscreative

Daily Check-In - November 20, 2021

Post by Mrscreative »

Good morning beautiful people!

Just getting us up, ready, and started for another frugal day!

Creative
Mrscreative

Re: Daily Check-In - November 20, 2021

Post by Mrscreative »

Good morning again beautiful people!

I was determined to check in today no matter what so decided first thing in the morning is best. I have been keeping very busy but was thrilled about seeing the lunar eclipse yesterday early morning. It was spectacular and the photos I attempted to take couldn’t even begin to take in its splendour. This was the first time I have ever seen either a lunar or solar eclipse. Apparently the moon was supposed to look red but perhaps I saw it too late to see that. At any rate, it was a full moon.

I am starting to get ready for Christmas and have pulled out my Christmas tea towels, table cloth and mugs. This year I seem much more excited about Christmas. Dh has strung all the lights at the front of the house but we haven’t lit them up yet. Generally we like to wait until the first of December.

This afternoon I plan to go on a hike with some of my photography club friends to a lookout, which is a very frugal activity in comparison to attending one of the many craft fairs being held today. It will only cost me the gas to get there - mind you at $1.54/litre or $5.82 Canadian per American gallon it’s not free. I do have a very energy efficient vehicle so that certainly helps. Fortunately we have enough to cover these increases and will receive a 2.25% increase in our teacher’s pensions to cover the rate of inflation for next year. Honestly MJ , I don’t know how you are able to maintain such a positive attitude. You inspire me!

All meals from home and besides the hike, I will just be pottering around home. I need to finish up the laundry, clean the ensuite bathroom and perhaps get out a few more Christmas decorations. Keeping away from stores seems to be my best strategy, although I do need to pick up more milk within the next few days. Dd2 has to go to the post office today, so I think I will get her to pick some up from Shoppers Drug Mart.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Creative
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Mrscreative wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:59 am Good morning again beautiful people!

I was determined to check in today no matter what so decided first thing in the morning is best. I have been keeping very busy but was thrilled about seeing the lunar eclipse yesterday early morning. It was spectacular and the photos I attempted to take couldn’t even begin to take in its splendour. This was the first time I have ever seen either a lunar or solar eclipse. Apparently the moon was supposed to look red but perhaps I saw it too late to see that. At any rate, it was a full moon.

I am starting to get ready for Christmas and have pulled out my Christmas tea towels, table cloth and mugs. This year I seem much more excited about Christmas. Dh has strung all the lights at the front of the house but we haven’t lit them up yet. Generally we like to wait until the first of December.

This afternoon I plan to go on a hike with some of my photography club friends to a lookout, which is a very frugal activity in comparison to attending one of the many craft fairs being held today. It will only cost me the gas to get there - mind you at $1.54/litre or $5.82 Canadian per American gallon it’s not free. I do have a very energy efficient vehicle so that certainly helps. Fortunately we have enough to cover these increases and will receive a 2.25% increase in our teacher’s pensions to cover the rate of inflation for next year. Honestly MJ , I don’t know how you are able to maintain such a positive attitude. You inspire me!

All meals from home and besides the hike, I will just be pottering around home. I need to finish up the laundry, clean the ensuite bathroom and perhaps get out a few more Christmas decorations. Keeping away from stores seems to be my best strategy, although I do need to pick up more milk within the next few days. Dd2 has to go to the post office today, so I think I will get her to pick some up from Shoppers Drug Mart.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Creative
I agree Creative, keeping out of stores is my best frugal tip.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I am extraordinarily happy today. Why? Mostly because I finished the blanket and can now start on some sewing projects. I hope to lay out the fabric and lining to make the two pairs of oven mitts today, and perhaps even get the carpenter's work apron cut out for Hubby. Then I can start to sew them tomorrow. I may actually get a few more of my projects completed before the end of the month.

I have decided to put the larger tree downstairs again this Christmas, and purchase a small 4' tree for up here. That should enable me to use all my Christmas tree ornaments this year. I figure I can use all the breakable and fancy ones on the downstairs tree, and save those I made for the smaller tree in the living room. I might have to make a few more, but I can stitch or knit on those in the evening while enjoying my own little tree.

It is a bit cooler here this morning, with lots of frost on car windshields. Still I should be able to get out for a bit of a walk at some point this morning.

Bread needs to be baked today, so I have the yeast out of the fridge warming up slightly and will start the loaf in the bread machine when I head out for my walk. No real big chores today, which is great. I will sweep my floor, bake bread, send in my scan (I have the scripts to send in), Bible study homework, and phone my brother. Yet there are lots of empty time slots where I can get projects started to be finished later on.

I started something different this week and it seems to be working just fine. At the beginning of the week I bring up all the meat that will be used to prepare that weeks meals and put it in my fridge freezer. I may have a slight problem with that this upcoming week as we will be having ham on the 28th, and it is doubtful my bone in ham will actually fit in the fridge freezer. Same with the turkey on Christmas..... We shall see.

I have a few things that need using up in the crisper so I will be working on that tonight and perhaps this afternoon. I have some celery that has seen better days and so perhaps some Cream of Celery soup for the freezer? Also have some broccoli, but I may just wash and cook that as one of the veggies for supper tonight. I could wash and parboil the broccoli as well and freeze it for a bit later. Really trying to cut down the wasted food.

Talked to youngest DS last night and he worked from home during the worst of the blizzard they had. He now says roads are cleared and he went back to the office yesterday. I asked if his hip was giving him grief in this changeable weather and he said it had not been too bad. That he took over the counter pain meds when the pain started to be "distracting" and that seemed to be working. We had a nice conversation and then I handed him off to Hubby.

Tonight I plan on calling the oldest DS and seeing how things are going there. I haven't really talked to him since his birthday over a month ago. I do see his Tweets and his Facebook posts though, but those are getting to be few and far between. We need to touch base with him and see that all is well. I also need to let him know I finished his friends blanket. May send him a picture of the blanket at some point today and then let him know we are calling later.

Supper tonight will be pork chops, mashed potatoes, and the leftover salad, unless I mix the broccoli with another veggie which I just might do.

Today I am grateful for the lovely pink sky I am seeing as the sun rises.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

It is real cold here this morning.. woke at 2 and couldn’t go back to sleep. Of course this is the day a new water heater is being put in as a leak was found yesterday. Son in law s at Lowe’s now to get it. Also pipes and insulation under the home have to be winterized. That part would have been done, but found the pin hole leak in a pipe so he decided to wait on water heater. Hope water won’t be off long. His brother, who helps him has to work today so will take longer to finish the job.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Hello friends.

I slept moderately well. Pippi woke me at 4 and even after I gave her a few treats she wanted to be right near my ear nuzzling me every few seconds. I know I’ll miss it when she is gone. I finally got back to sleep at 5:30 and slept until 7.

Yesterday I was very happy with resolving some things at mom’s house. I never could find info on the HOA fee and procedures for 2022 so a week ago I just mailed a check for last year’s amount with a note to the HOA P.O. Box. The president called me and I’m now set for next year and also a member of the HOA private Facebook group so it will be a lot easier to keep up with things.

This week I asked the trash company for a new can because mine (mom’s house) was damaged where they lift it. I would never had noticed but the neighbor told me. The trash company said 7-10 days but the new one was on mom’s driveway yesterday. They picked up the old one that I had left with a note.

Finally I got the items put out for the big pickup today. Neighbor on the other side next door helped a bit but I did most of it. I’m my mother’s daughter.

Today I’m doing laundry and will plant the begonias I bought this week. I’ve already planted the ones I bought for mom’s house. I like to get white flowers at this time of year so they won’t clash with my wreath and other Christmas decorations. I also plan to clean out my car trunk so I can bring the bins with my Christmas tree from mom’s garage on Monday. I still have mom’s 4.5’ tree and have thought of putting it up at mom’s house but probably won’t do it. Jackie, if you lived closer I’d give it to you.

I put the framed watercolor rose on my bathroom counter and it looks so nice. On the wall I already have a framed needlepoint rose that I made years ago. So there’s a rose theme (somewhat).

Have a good day.