Daily Check-In - November 20, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Grannysewstoys

Re: Daily Check-In - November 20, 2021

Post by Grannysewstoys »

It is cold again this morning.

I started a Triceratops last night. It is about a 1/3 done. From reading the pattern the only part I am unfamiliar with is the frill.

My son chose the color light blue.

Today I want to try and finish the placemats.

I am going to try my other sewing machine with its walking foot. We will see.

Penny
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Good morning, frugal friends. My fun-filled Friday evening consisted of falling asleep on the sofa until it was time to go to bed.

On the frugal front, DH is the star: He called American Standard to inquire about buying a replacement tank for our toilet, and they are shipping us a whole new toilet free because it is unusual for one to crack like that one did.

I, however, am not the star because a replacement mirror module for my car is going to cost more than than the toilet would have. Genuine Honda parts are not inexpensive these days.

The robovac is doing his work this morning and I am ahead of the game as far as laundry goes, having done that Wednesday evening. Today I have the usual Saturday chores and must wipe down the inside of the fridge and make a grocery list.

Hope you all have a peaceful day.
Mackie
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Again started yet another day with a disagreement that got me so upset I had to get out for a couple of hours. I don't know if I can last until my sister gets her place as the housing authority process has appeared to slow a bit. I feel like I'm suffocating. I knew that times would be tough but believed I had the wherewithal to deal, but I'm worn to a frazzle. Anyway, my "old mind" (her words) is going to continue to put up with the one whose mind is "young" (her words) as best as I can.

Could use a miracle right now if the powers that be are listening?

Bought some lights and some decorations for my mini tree that's in my bedroom. Need to get a bit of Christmas in my life right now. I think I'm going to try to find a part time volunteer job for now because I definitely have to get out of the house for a few hours every day.

I'm so sorry that so many of you are dealing with difficulties in your lives as well. I totally understand and send you my best wishes and prayers to all.

Have a nice day.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Logics..sorry it is such a struggle with your sister.
Pretty chilly here. DH and son are finishing up with storm windows today.
I am attending a ZOOM baby shower today. It will be nice to see everyone.
DDIL and I went over final plans for Thanksgiving dinner. It will be at their house..just us and a few vaccinated and boostered friends. Really looking forward to it.
Hope everyone has a nice day.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Mrscreative wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:59 am Good morning again beautiful people!

This afternoon I plan to go on a hike with some of my photography club friends to a lookout, which is a very frugal activity in comparison to attending one of the many craft fairs being held today. It will only cost me the gas to get there - mind you at $1.54/litre or $5.82 Canadian per American gallon it’s not free. I do have a very energy efficient vehicle so that certainly helps. Fortunately we have enough to cover these increases and will receive a 2.25% increase in our teacher’s pensions to cover the rate of inflation for next year. Honestly MJ , I don’t know how you are able to maintain such a positive attitude. You inspire me!

Creative
Well, you get into a place where you know that crying won't change anything. Although, there are days that you do. :-) I grew-up with some pretty impoverished times when my Dad was sick while I was in high school. We learned how to survive. It might not be "living" but it is survival!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Bonne matin toute le monde,

I have been up since 5:30 am. I didn't sleep any better or worse than normal. I'm pretty sure there will be a nap in my future at some point today.

It's a bright day today. It isn't sunny, yet, but I am hoping it will be. The temperature feels like -13C or 9F. It's not too bad considering that it is the end of November. I haven't frozen to death, yet. :D

I am making another pot of baked beans. I started them over an hour ago and will be able to have them for a late lunch or save them to have for supper. Probably supper. I made some nice baking powder biscuits with a new recipe and they were really nice and fluffy. I have some left over that will go with the beans for a nice meal.

At some point this weekend, I have to do some "plumbing" here. My portable washing machine has developed a leak at the point where the hose attaches to the machine. I had water all over the floor the last time I used it. I'll just have to find my crescent wrench and get out the teflon tape and do the job so I can do laundry at some point here.

I'm trying to figure out what to give the few on my list for Christmas. I found some glow-in-the-dark flannel with "night owls" on it that is quite cute. I am thinking of making two of those "magic" pillowcases for the littles with different cuffs on them so they are distinguishable for Dayton and Emmitt. Last year, I made Jon his favorite Butterscotch Peanut Butter Confetti treats and sent over some fudge I made. I still have ingredients left from last year to make a pan of fudge again this year. Good thing I only made the one pan last year. I'm also going to make a batch of the Maraschino Cherry Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies and maybe some mini-muffins either pistachio or butterscotch chip. That keeps me well below any budget.

I was thinking of putting up my Christmas tree. It is a 7 foot one and I have more than enough lights and decorations for it. I went into the storage room to get out lunch, from the freezer, and saw the big boxes of the tree and decorations and wondered how I'd get them out of there! LOL. Too much stuff. That's going to be fixed in the new year. Ange is still working at moving in to her disabled housing and getting it set up for her family. Also, the grocery store, where she works, is looking at having her not only work as a cashier but also as a part-time cake decorator. She does and amazing job and has a regular clientele who've purchased her decorated cakes for birthdays and such for years. She is doing SO well, it's great to see and she is so happy with her job too! Can't beat that!

I don't know what I'll have for my Thanksgiving on Thursday but I do know I am eating ALL DAY on my china. I did find a can of pumpkin in the fridge and, although I thought I would use it last week, I will use it and make myself a pumpkin pie.

That's the skinny from around here!!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.