Daily Check In November22, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Grannysewstoys

Re: Daily Check In November22, 2021

Post by Grannysewstoys »

Happy birthday Patty.

Penny
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

chocolite wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:12 pm Good afternoon, frugal friends. I’ve had a busy morning, and it’s been so nice to actually check things off a list. I think the (new) key for me is to break down regular tasks into mini-tasks. Then, when I do get PART of a job finished I can feel some measure of satisfaction, rather than typical disappointment that I cannot do simple jobs that I used to be able to do – in the same way I used to do them. I don’t know if that makes sense, but it does to me, lol.

Anyway, today I have boiled the eggs that will become deviled eggs, made biscuits that will be used in dressing, and dry brined the turkey – which was a big job. Then I thoroughly cleaned the sink. This is the first year I’m trying dry brining, but I think it will help with the flavor and keep my 13-pound bird moist. I have PT at 2:30. My wonderful DH had a gorgeous bouquet of Happy Birthday flowers waiting for me when I got up today, along with a beautiful pair of abalone earrings. an orange kitty ornament, and a book I’ve been wanting to read forever, called Lead Me Home: Hardship and Hope on the Oregon Trail. I’ve been doing all my reading on my phone or Kindle lately, and it will feel good to hold a real book. Anyway, getting all of these wonderful gifts and seeing many birthday wishes on Facebook has brightened my day a lot. I still feel melancholy over my health situation and the fact that neither my brother/SIL nor sister were able to come for Thanksgiving this year. I worry I’ll never see either one of them again…because no one’s health is conducive to a long car trip anymore. Oh well…….I’m trying to push all of that into the background because the truth is, I have so much to be thankful for. And I am.

I didn’t make it to DG on Saturday – it just wasn’t a good day for me to leave the house. But I’ve decided on no shopping this week. We need a few things but nothing urgent. We’ll be fine. I think I’ll make salmon for supper, along with baked sweet potatoes and turnip greens. That’s one of my favorite meals.
Happy Birthday, Patty! I’m glad that you are having a really nice day. You deserve it! (Add me to the list of those enjoying “real” books.)
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

icfrugal1 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:17 pm I very big step, letting stuff go from your mom's home.

Trying to clear some room in the eating part of the kitchen where DH has his hospital bed, he let me go through 2 small boxes, and throw some stuff out !!! Very big step for him

IC
Thank you, IC!

How are your DH and SIL doing since the funeral?
Last edited by floridacatlover on Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Mackie I have just been researching gel options versus bio freeze and so on for my joints. Glad to hear you like the voltaren gel.

Did not get things done today I wanted to, although I did get a half an hour of seated exercise (no real walking) and went to knitting group for two hours. Am behind on my to do list in both the house and the creative side-although I did make a wooden tree set by modgepodging fabric (Christmas) to wooden shapes and then typing ribbon and bells and buttons on them. It will go in the middle of my small dining table. I need to make a master list of what I'm doing.

My arms are really sore from the seated working out (lots of boxing moves and punches and imitating pulling an arrow.

After dinner I have both the new Ken Follet thriller and the new Kellerman so my reading choices are open.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

icfrugal1 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:54 pm Happy Birthday Patty, what a wonderful day for you. Love it, a REAL book. :D Patti, you are right, as we get older, it's harder to see family and friends.
IC
Thanks, IC!
Patty
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:16 pm Happy Birthday Patty!!

Your DH sure knows the way to to your heart with such wonderful gifts. I hope Hobbes and Audrey have lots of snuggles and love for you today too!!

MJ
You are right about that, MJ. Thanks!
Patty