Daily Check in November 23

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Prairie Waif2

Re: Daily Check in November 23

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Clem,

I'm always intrigued by your posts about making beans in the crockpot. That sounds like a cost effective meals for around my digs too. Could you post your recipe and how you serve them (like with veggies or tomatoes or however). I'd really appreciate that! AND my crockpot could be made useful again!!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Publix was kind of a bust as far as cat food went. Everything was chicken, which I already know he's not interested in. I got him a bag of Blue Buffalo salmon treats that are similar to Temptations but don't have corn in them, and a single Fancy Feast pate' mini. The canned cat food section was very empty. We'll see if these spark his interest.

I did treat myself to some British baked beans and cream of tomato soup, and two cans of B&M brown bread. I love that stuff and it's hard to find now.

Updated to add: I ordered a small bag of Orijen grain-free cat food with fish, turkey and rabbit from Petsmart, which has free two-day local shipping. This food has herring in it, which Ollie Cat loves, so I have fingers crossed. It's also supposed to be good for cats with skin problems, so we'll see how it goes.
Last edited by MackerelCat on Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mackie
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good afternoon beautiful people,

This morning I went to receive my Shingrix vaccine ( to prevent shingles), and had to wait 15 minutes after the injection. I was given the sheet outlining all the side effects, but so far I am doing well. After this I went to Freshco, as they had a lot of good buys and also price match. The only thing I don’t like is packing my own groceries. You cannot buy plastic bags there, only reusable. But I was aware of this and had brought my own bags. Groceries all put away and we ate lunch at home.

Dh put up the two artificial Christmas trees for me and straighten out all the branches. He also strung the lights and sadly one string no longer works. We made due without it.

This afternoon Dh and I plan to go for a long walk and then when Dd2 returns home from work and we get dinner out of the way, we’ll perhaps start decorating the trees. And then I must give serious attention to my Christmas cards.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Creative
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

Household tasks are completed for the day. I even got my coat mended, lots of pokes on the fingers though as the fabric is very thick and it was definitely hard to get a needle through. I really should invest in a tough pair of heavy leather fingerless sewing gloves. A thimble would do me no good unless they covered the entire finger.

Got the first of the pair of oven mitts done so I decided to take a bit of a break. Had an apple and will have a few crackers for lunch, visit here for awhile and then get back to it.

Off to have my crackers and get pinning once again.

See you all later.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

I'm having a pretty good day. Cleaned some lower cabinets (under the cooktop; they get grimy fast) and cooked my onion/celery for dressing. Still need to make cornbread. I'm slowly but surely getting more of the Christmas stuff put out. I used to go all out. Still have the desire, just not sure I have the stamina. I strung a little twig wreath snowman with lights and hung him on the French door leading out to the back porch. He's so cute.

I'm thinking tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for supper.

Oh, and my neighbor confirmed she's coming for Thanksgiving. She's going to bring a cranberry dish so I don't have to make my cranberry relish. Yay, one less thing!
Last edited by chocolite on Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patty
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:56 pm Clem,

I'm always intrigued by your posts about making beans in the crockpot. That sounds like a cost effective meals for around my digs too. Could you post your recipe and how you serve them (like with veggies or tomatoes or however). I'd really appreciate that! AND my crockpot could be made useful again!!

MJ
I just use a one pound bag of pinto beans. Throw it in there and fill the crockpot with water.

I love onions in there, so I will clean a medium sized onion - remove the skin and ends. I like it to fall apart in the mix, so I just cut it in four pieces. Also throw in a medium sized tomato - whole. It also falls apart as the beans cook.

Salt pork - they sell it here in one pound packs - pre sliced. I will use half a pack and save the rest for later.

For seasoning - I use Knorr's Mi Arroz - My Rice. Weird that a seasoning for rice tastes good for beans. I've tried different things but I bought this for rice, but decided to use it - and we liked it.

I don't use a whole little pack - don't want too much sodium. I mean - already using salt pork - :mrgreen:

https://www.amazon.com/Knorr-Rice-Seasoning-Mix-Red/dp/B00C7IIJQU