Daily Check in November 23

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check in November 23

Post by clemencia2us »

The first bowl, I will eat them with sour cream and cheese

The COD likes them with mexican rice or fideo. Vermecilli.

There is a popular dish called "fideo loco" that people love around here. It is beans, the vermicelli, with either chicken or beef.

They even have a "fideo loco" festival in San Antonio.

https://southsidesanantonio.com/the-4th-annual-fideo-loco-festival-is-coming-to-the-southside/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Clem, I like to buy a package of fideo at Save-a-lot, where it's something like 69 cents, and use it to make homemade Rice-a-roni.The recipe is in the The Tightwad Gazette. My husband likes it better than the store-bought version.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:44 pm Clem, I like to buy a package of fideo at Save-a-lot, where it's something like 69 cents, and use it to make homemade Rice-a-roni.The recipe is in the The Tightwad Gazette. My husband likes it better than the store-bought version.
yep - I used to call it the Mexican Rice-a-Roni!
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I've been clearing out more clothing.

I used to keep three sizes of jeans. I am done with that. Will stick to size 14 and if they get too big - will use a belt - lol

Had tons of shorts that I loved but no way will I fit in them and no at this moment - I am not going to try to get back in them. So just keeping the ones that fit.

I don't want a bunch of stuff. I needed to clear all this out before I could continue processing that insurance thing I mentioned.

And guess what - I was reading the thing wrong. I don't need as much info as I thought. Big sigh. But still waiting on death certificate. The state has received my request, but still working on it.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

clemencia2us wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:31 pm I just use a one pound bag of pinto beans. Throw it in there and fill the crockpot with water.

I love onions in there, so I will clean a medium sized onion - remove the skin and ends. I like it to fall apart in the mix, so I just cut it in four pieces. Also throw in a medium sized tomato - whole. It also falls apart as the beans cook.

Salt pork - they sell it here in one pound packs - pre sliced. I will use half a pack and save the rest for later.

For seasoning - I use Knorr's Mi Arroz - My Rice. Weird that a seasoning for rice tastes good for beans. I've tried different things but I bought this for rice, but decided to use it - and we liked it.

I don't use a whole little pack - don't want too much sodium. I mean - already using salt pork - :mrgreen:

https://www.amazon.com/Knorr-Rice-Seasoning-Mix-Red/dp/B00C7IIJQU
Clem,

Thanks heaps for the recipe. That sounds right up my alley! I don't think they sell salt pork at our grocery stores and I'm not certain of the Knorr rice flavoring but I'll sure look for both. Any substitutes you can think of if I can't find those two items? I go grocery shopping next week and can pick up the beans and other ingredients. I love pinto beans!!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Dollar Tree raises most prices to $1.25. I’m not surprised.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/dollar-tree-raises-price-point-to-24125-citing-inflation/ar-AAR3pUD?ocid=uxbndlbing&pfr=1