Daily Check In November 26, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Prairie Waif2

Re: Daily Check In November 26, 2021

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

chocolite wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:54 pm Good afternoon, all, and a belated Happy Thanksgiving to our Americans. We had a nice meal yesterday. My neighbor came over to eat as well, so it wasn’t just DH and me. I did overdo, though. As much as I tried to do ahead of time, both Wednesday and Thursday were very painful days. I’m trying to recuperate today. I had an appointment this afternoon to get my Covid booster and my second Shingrix shot, but I rescheduled it for next week. I just need to rest today.

I fixed too much food, as usual, and we have plenty for leftovers over the next few days. as well as for the freezer. I already froze the turkey carcass and am going to try my hand at turkey vegetable soup in a week or so. I’ve never made it, but I guess it’s the same as chicken. Later today or tomorrow I’ll freeze whatever turkey we won’t finish and it’ll become either a pot pie or tetrazzini at some point. DH is enjoying his sweet potato pie and I’m glad I made it. He and I both agreed, though, that I can’t do this ever again. In a moment of being completely overwhelmed yesterday, I cried and told him how worthless I feel. When I think of how very capable I used to be, I just weep. Now, the least little thing overwhelms me. He told me he was putting his foot down and I just couldn’t do a big meal like this again. He said it’s not worth it if it makes me feel like I do.

I guess I’m just finding it hard coming to terms with the fact that I am disabled. Not in my body – that’s readily apparent. But in my head. In the way I think of myself and see myself in the world. My PT had recommended a therapy group and told me to ask for a therapist who understands chronic pain, so I made the call this morning. I have an appointment next week to see someone there. For now we’re doing virtual appointments, but at some point I may switch to in-person. I think I do better with in-person visits.

Patty,

I'm so glad Steve loves you so much! It's wonderful to hear he is calling an end to your killing yourself while making a big fancy meal. Time to farm some out to buy at a restaurant or frozen or at a deli.

I am sorry you are hurting so bad both physically and mentally. It's a tough gig to get a handle on. For me? It was the CPTSD that got me first then the spinal cord injury. There are still days where I hear peole tell me to get a job because I "look" alright to them. Don't let those kind of people get to you or get yourself talked into doing more than you can in order to show you are "still good." You are always good no matter what you can do. :-)

I'm glad your recommended to a group for chronic pain. Hearing how other people deal with themselves and ignorant fools is very helpful in allowing you to plan some boundaries and help yourself adjust to "the new you." I think I'm always dealing with "the new me" but I do see Doc Mac about that once a month and that keeps me on track. I hope your group is as helpful.

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Jackielou wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:31 am Ohhh, forgot to tell you all that youngest DS is looking into buying a house. Just a tiny two bedroom one but the yard has been lovingly looked after and there is gorgeous landscaping. He will be talking to the bank on Saturday to see what kind of mortgage he can get, and then make an appointment to take a look at the house. Hubby and I are keeping our fingers crossed for him. I believe it is time he got out of that apartment and into a place where he can stretch out. Hubby just says "Hey we can have a bedroom of our own when we visit." LOL
Jackie,

This is wonderful news! I sure hope he gets it! When we bought our first house, it was a little 3 bedroom with a cute yard. I took a landscaping course when we got the house built for us. They talked about the landscaping being 15-20% of the value of the home (that included the plants, trees, sidewalks, driveway etc.). I guess I must have done a good job because a neighbor down the street, also in a brand new home, came to ask if I would mind if she copied how I had done the front yard. Nope! She just had to do everything in reverse because their garage was on the other side. It looked really good.

YOU DO KNOW that DH will want to visit the city more often to help DS with the house, right? That's usually what happens. I hope you'll all have a good time visiting when he gets his wee housie!!

MJ
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:14 am Hello friends.

No Black Friday for me. I wonder if stores will have the crowds they’ve had in previous years.

I had a good Thanksgiving but felt sad at times. I put up my tree and will do the lights (which I dread) over the next few days. Pippi spent much of the evening and night on the Christmas tree skirt and she’s there now.

I switched out mom’s wreath for my wreath. A few years ago I made a beautiful red tartan bow for my wreath. But my front door is now burgundy and I just didn’t like it. I started looking at ribbon online but then thought of mom’s wreath which has a light gold bow and gold accents. I have a gold wreath hanger. So when I went to mom’s house yesterday afternoon to put the empty tree bins in the garage and put out the two bags of yard debris from the other day, I took the wreath off mom’s door. It looks SO much better at my house. I think my wreath will look good on mom’s door which is light grey.

Last night I gathered all my fall decor and will put it away today. I’ve started putting out a bit of my Christmas decor but will do it over the next few days.

Pippi had a good day yesterday. Today she seems very quiet and is not eating as well but still OK I think. Her appointment is this afternoon. Apart from the appointment, I’m planning to stay home.

I have to say that we are having wonderful weather, sunny in the 70s.

Have a good day.
Florida,

I can just imagine how much nicer a switch of the wreaths will be. I love a pretty wreath on a door, always so inviting and a hint of the owner's personality. Mine needs some fresh ribbons and a new birdie in it. I'm not sure it will make it to the door this year. My "God Bless this Irish Home" stays up all year except maybe Halloween and Christmas.

MJ
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

oh Patty - your hubby is right. Take care of yourself. Don't overdo. Glad you are seeing someone for it.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Bonne apres midi mes amis!

I just about was going to call it quits before checking in. My cobbled together "Frankenstein" computer has me always looking over my left shoulder to read the screen on the laptop with the broken keyboard while having my hands in my lap to use the keyboard off of an old desktop I no longer have. OuCH! I'm creeky like an old door!

I ended up having a lovely American Thanksgiving. I got a message from Zoe that she'd need me to look after the littles as John was going to be home late. I was delighted. She invited me for a Thanksgiving dinner too. I took over my pumpkin pie that I made on Wednesday night. We had a perfectly kids styled Thanksgiving dinner and it was good! Chicken Fingers, Popcorn Chicken and fries that you could either make into poutine or have with gravy or ketchup. We then had pumpkin pie with French vanilla ice cream! The kids have an Aunt, Uncle and cousins in Florida. We had a chat about how wonderful it is for me to have "Canadian Thanksgiving" and "American Thanksgiving." We decided that they should start celebrating both holiday too!

I spent my afternoon yesterday watching football and after I got home from Dayton and Emmitt's gig, I watch that last football game of the day and then went to bed.

For SOME crazy reason, I woke-up at 4 am. That pretty much means I am worthless for the day. I did get in a short (45 minutes) nap and then had lunch before watching some murder mysteries and news on the new Omicron COVID-19 variant coming out of southern Africa. Sounds really scary how infectious it is but one of the docs said, yes, it is more infectious but it doesn't make the disease worse or increase morbidity from what they currently know. This stuff just showed up after a test taken on November 9th and it's already in Belgium, Hong Kong and Israel, so it has crossed international waterways already. Sigh.

I was thinking of putting up my lovely Christmas tree this year but have decided against it with all the boxes that need to be taken to the thrift store. It would be me hauling more stuff into a semi-disaster zone. I'm at the point where I can handled the boxed up stuff to go to Super Thrift but not sure I could deal with more, no matter how lovely it would be!

My "refurbished" computer arrived today, just as predicted. It arrived this morning around 10:30 am, just as I was going off for a nap. I was too tired to open it immediately and did so after lunch and my nap. It looks great!! I have it plugged in and charging. The instructions said to charge it between 5-8 hours before using, so that is happening now. Tomorrow, I am getting together with my tech guru friend to get all the apps back on it and set it up like the old one. It will be nice to not have to crank my neck around to use my computer! WHEW! Really looking forward to that!!

I am not certain what supper will be tonight. I am waffling between eggs on bread or spaghetti. Somewhere along the way the answer will come. I think I'm going to have more coffee first!!

MJ
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:48 pm We are having our first snow that is sticking to the ground, and it is very blustrey and cold. DD and I just got back from walking the dogs (she takes 2, I take 1). I'm finishing off the stale coffee from this morning in an attempt to thaw out. The dogs loved the snow though - it was worth it.
Today I turned leftover sweet potatoes into muffins from a very easy (and yummy) recipe I found online. I cut the sugar in half since I had already cooked the sweet potatoes in a mixture of butter, orange juice and honey. They turned out way better than I expected.
I I also took a jar of cooked beans out of the freezer and made "refried beans" that we will have on corn tortillas - filling and could not be easier. I'm anticipating a quiet evening - in bed early and tuning into a good Christmas movie on Youtube or Netflix (DD's netflix). Thinking hard about putting the Christmas tree up tomorrow.
Can you share that recipe. I don't really like sweet potatoes, but this sounds like something I really would like.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/