Daily Check In November 26, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check In November 26, 2021

Post by MackerelCat »

Lord have mercy, DH and I just spent almost 4 hours cleaning DS's bathroom and bedroom. Part of DS's Asperger's is the need to see his stuff, but the bedroom had reached "can't walk through it level." DS is also allergic to dust and mold, so occasionally we have to wade in and clean it to a healthy level because there's a lot he just doesn't see.

The bathroom is just old and hard to clean. If I ever get the money, I am hiring one of those companies to come out and reglaze the floor and wall tiles.

Right now I am finally sitting down and enjoying a glass of peach tea. Whew!
Mackie
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

by chocolite » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:54 pm

Good afternoon, all, and a belated Happy Thanksgiving to our Americans. We had a nice meal yesterday. My neighbor came over to eat as well, so it wasn’t just DH and me. I did overdo, though. As much as I tried to do ahead of time, both Wednesday and Thursday were very painful days. I’m trying to recuperate today. I had an appointment this afternoon to get my Covid booster and my second Shingrix shot, but I rescheduled it for next week. I just need to rest today.

I fixed too much food, as usual, and we have plenty for leftovers over the next few days. as well as for the freezer. I already froze the turkey carcass and am going to try my hand at turkey vegetable soup in a week or so. I’ve never made it, but I guess it’s the same as chicken. Later today or tomorrow I’ll freeze whatever turkey we won’t finish and it’ll become either a pot pie or tetrazzini at some point. DH is enjoying his sweet potato pie and I’m glad I made it. He and I both agreed, though, that I can’t do this ever again. In a moment of being completely overwhelmed yesterday, I cried and told him how worthless I feel. When I think of how very capable I used to be, I just weep. Now, the least little thing overwhelms me. He told me he was putting his foot down and I just couldn’t do a big meal like this again. He said it’s not worth it if it makes me feel like I do.

I guess I’m just finding it hard coming to terms with the fact that I am disabled. Not in my body – that’s readily apparent. But in my head. In the way I think of myself and see myself in the world. My PT had recommended a therapy group and told me to ask for a therapist who understands chronic pain, so I made the call this morning. I have an appointment next week to see someone there. For now we’re doing virtual appointments, but at some point I may switch to in-person. I think I do better with in-person visits.

Our neighbor, Pam, just came over to fix a plate of leftovers. I’m so glad she did. She didn’t take any with her when she left yesterday. I haven’t eaten yet today. I think a couple deviled eggs sound good. I might follow those up with a piece of coconut pound cake and a cup of coffee.

Owned, I hope you are feeling better today. Sheila, honey, I’m so sorry that yesterday was bad. (((HappyDaze))) Jackie, fingers crossed that your son gets the house. It sounds perfect for him. My first house was a two bedroom and I loved it so much.
Patty
https://thenextchapterforpatty.blogspot.com/
I used to do the whole thing too. I can't anymore. What you could do next year is pick the part that is most important to you and buy the rest. So many restaurants sell the the dinner. Or just the sides. My daughter orders the dinner from one restaurants and one of the sides from another.

{{{{{Hugs}}}}}

Learning to pace ourselves is the most difficult thing anyone with chronic illness can do.

Penny
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

jgomez1002 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:21 am Good Morning All,
Happy day after Thanksgiving. Yesterday was wonderful. DD and DSIL arrived Wednesday evening, spent the night, and helped with dinner and outside chores. We still needed to pack some outdoor furniture in the shed. Just in time, it is suposed to rain and then turn to snow today. Firs snow of the year for us.

I'm making turkey stock and Thai Curied squash soup today. I think we'll also have hot turkey sandwiches. DH made Hazelnut coffee and bacon breakfast sandwiches for breakfast. He also stripped the bed and threw the sheets in the washer. Love that guy.

I'm heading to the compost pile out back in a while. All the pumpkkins, gourds, and fall decorations need to be taken out. Christmas will slowly come about here. We planned on heading to Freeport, to LL Beans (original store) this afternoon. It is a Christmas wonderland. Discovery park, reindeer, free skating rink (free skates to use). hot chocolate and marshmallows. The entire town is decorated like a Norman Rockwell scene. We've gone several years on Black Friday and it is nothing like the nightmare most places are. But, we'll hold off going if the weather is bad. We'll wait until tomorrow. I should spend time dusting the house instead. :) I am thankful I have the time to get some chores done.

Have a great day everone!
JGomez
JGomez I love the idea of Thai curry squash soup. I love Thai foods. The Discovery Park sounds lovely and so Christmassy. Glad your family was able to gather together for the dinner.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

chocolite wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:54 pm Good afternoon, all, and a belated Happy Thanksgiving to our Americans. We had a nice meal yesterday. My neighbor came over to eat as well, so it wasn’t just DH and me. I did overdo, though. As much as I tried to do ahead of time, both Wednesday and Thursday were very painful days. I’m trying to recuperate today. I had an appointment this afternoon to get my Covid booster and my second Shingrix shot, but I rescheduled it for next week. I just need to rest today.

I fixed too much food, as usual, and we have plenty for leftovers over the next few days. as well as for the freezer. I already froze the turkey carcass and am going to try my hand at turkey vegetable soup in a week or so. I’ve never made it, but I guess it’s the same as chicken. Later today or tomorrow I’ll freeze whatever turkey we won’t finish and it’ll become either a pot pie or tetrazzini at some point. DH is enjoying his sweet potato pie and I’m glad I made it. He and I both agreed, though, that I can’t do this ever again. In a moment of being completely overwhelmed yesterday, I cried and told him how worthless I feel. When I think of how very capable I used to be, I just weep. Now, the least little thing overwhelms me. He told me he was putting his foot down and I just couldn’t do a big meal like this again. He said it’s not worth it if it makes me feel like I do.

I guess I’m just finding it hard coming to terms with the fact that I am disabled. Not in my body – that’s readily apparent. But in my head. In the way I think of myself and see myself in the world. My PT had recommended a therapy group and told me to ask for a therapist who understands chronic pain, so I made the call this morning. I have an appointment next week to see someone there. For now we’re doing virtual appointments, but at some point I may switch to in-person. I think I do better with in-person visits.

Our neighbor, Pam, just came over to fix a plate of leftovers. I’m so glad she did. She didn’t take any with her when she left yesterday. I haven’t eaten yet today. I think a couple deviled eggs sound good. I might follow those up with a piece of coconut pound cake and a cup of coffee.

Owned, I hope you are feeling better today. Sheila, honey, I’m so sorry that yesterday was bad. (((HappyDaze))) Jackie, fingers crossed that your son gets the house. It sounds perfect for him. My first house was a two bedroom and I loved it so much.
Patty I understand what you are going through with realizing you have to scale back. Years ago, I insisted on doing a sit-down dinner for my family of 16 for Christmas Eve. I made everything from scratch which meant i was going to bed late and getting up early and still working. The dinner was great however on Christmas day I woke up in severe back pain. I spent a week in the hospital and was off f work 5 weeks. My brother was mad at me and he said, "next year you can make a cheese ball." I know is hard to come to grips on what you use to do and what you want to do. We all have to make choices that we maybe do not want to but need to for our own good and I know it is hard. Gentle ((hug)). Your friend, Janet
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

We are having our first snow that is sticking to the ground, and it is very blustrey and cold. DD and I just got back from walking the dogs (she takes 2, I take 1). I'm finishing off the stale coffee from this morning in an attempt to thaw out. The dogs loved the snow though - it was worth it.
Today I turned leftover sweet potatoes into muffins from a very easy (and yummy) recipe I found online. I cut the sugar in half since I had already cooked the sweet potatoes in a mixture of butter, orange juice and honey. They turned out way better than I expected.
I I also took a jar of cooked beans out of the freezer and made "refried beans" that we will have on corn tortillas - filling and could not be easier. I'm anticipating a quiet evening - in bed early and tuning into a good Christmas movie on Youtube or Netflix (DD's netflix). Thinking hard about putting the Christmas tree up tomorrow.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Hye everyone,
I need to not do 2 Thanksgiving meals. It was nice to have all of the company. Work was quiet enough that I ate dinner with the family with my Laptop next to me and then after dinner, sat at a cardtable and was able to participate in the conversation. Today was another low pressure day at work. I had some alerts to look into, but nothing big. Now I am watching my Cincinnati Bearcats playing football again and I just ordered a pizza for pick-up.

Have a nice evening,
Maggie