How Are You Coping?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: How Are You Coping?

Post by clemencia2us »

I'm doing okay

I really do not go out and spend a lot, so i don't really look at prices. But then the local store I use is considered over priced anyway. But hey if I drove down to the big national store - I would spend twice as much on stuff that looked enticing, but would end up not used. So I save money by going to the expensive store

Now I did spend about 150 on our little excursion. Going out for lunch, dinner, snacks, drinks can add up!!
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:09 am A friend of mine is $6,000. in debt due to the cost of her insulin was not covered while she was in the Medicare donut hole. That is almost half of what she receives from Soc Sec. Good thing her husband is younger and still working. Sad for those that do not qualify for Medicaid when receiving Medicare and still have to pay for food and shelter and other expenses.
My cousin’s wife in RI takes insulin twice a day and has good insurance as a Blue Cross retiree. But still they mentioned they switched from the pre-measured injections to measure yourself injections to save money.

If the Build Back Better legislation passes in the Senate, it will limit insulin co-pays for Medicare recipients to $35/month plus prevent the cost of insulin from increasing at more than the inflation rate. (Editorial comment: I question the overall cost of the legislation and some of the items but there is a lot of good in the bill, mostly for children.)
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:03 am My cousin’s wife in RI takes insulin twice a day and has good insurance as a Blue Cross retiree. But still they mentioned they switched from the pre-measured injections to measure yourself injections to save money.

If the Build Back Better legislation passes in the Senate, it will limit insulin co-pays for Medicare recipients to $35/month plus prevent the cost of insulin from increasing at more than the inflation rate. (Editorial comment: I question the overall cost of the legislation and some of the items but there is a lot of good in the bill, mostly for children.)

I hope the legislation passes.

My friend does not do the premeasured needles. She is very frugal and tries to cut the budget where she can.
Janet Alliesmama
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Is there no one out there that helps them with insulin?

Our local Methodist church has a nurse available.

The supply diabetic items - and diapers and formula for kids.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

clemencia2us wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:56 pm Is there no one out there that helps them with insulin?

Our local Methodist church has a nurse available.

The supply diabetic items - and diapers and formula for kids.
Her husband works and has a good job but she is older than him and on Social Security and Medicare so money wise they cannot get any kind of assistance.
Janet Alliesmama
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I unintentionally sounded flip in my original reply, probably due to all the sinus medication I've been taking. To be more serious, we are doing what many of you are. I often have strings of meatless days because DH likes it better than I do. We no longer buy meat unless it's marked down on manager's special. The sight of a $61 ham at the supermarket made even DH aghast. Until this year, I think he did not pay much attention to food prices.

He used to drink a large glass of V-8 juice every morning. Now, to make the bottle ($4.89) last the week, he drinks a small glass. He is the one of us wedded to name brands, but he is not wasteful with things.

I have a weekly food budget, but the latest round of price increases made it impossible to stay that low and it had to be increased. Originally I aimed for $90 for food for 2 adults and what little bits I buy for DS, but it has shot up to around $110 even with us cutting things out.

We noticed that the trend here for gasoline is that the price drops, sometimes as much as 20 cents a gallon, on Tuesdays, so that's when I fill up my car.

The rest is to continue to buy used, repair things, use less, and put off what we can in hopes of things getting better.
Mackie