How Are You Coping?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: How Are You Coping?

Post by Jackielou »

MackerelCat wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:49 pm I unintentionally sounded flip in my original reply, probably due to all the sinus medication I've been taking. To be more serious, we are doing what many of you are. I often have strings of meatless days because DH likes it better than I do. We no longer buy meat unless it's marked down on manager's special. The sight of a $61 ham at the supermarket made even DH aghast. Until this year, I think he did not pay much attention to food prices.

He used to drink a large glass of V-8 juice every morning. Now, to make the bottle ($4.89) last the week, he drinks a small glass. He is the one of us wedded to name brands, but he is not wasteful with things.

I have a weekly food budget, but the latest round of price increases made it impossible to stay that low and it had to be increased. Originally I aimed for $90 for food for 2 adults and what little bits I buy for DS, but it has shot up to around $110 even with us cutting things out.

We noticed that the trend here for gasoline is that the price drops, sometimes as much as 20 cents a gallon, on Tuesdays, so that's when I fill up my car.

The rest is to continue to buy used, repair things, use less, and put off what we can in hopes of things getting better.
I really think that I should take Hubby shopping once again, but he is hyperventilating over the prices in the flyers. I can just imagine what he would do if he saw non-sale prices.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

DH will see something and ask me, "Is that a good price?" The answer these days is almost always, "No."

I also explained to him the magic of knowing regular prices and comparing them to "buy two" specials. His favorite V-8 juice was on sale two for $7, but he didn't want to buy it because we had an extra bottle at home. I explained how buying two on sale would save almost four dollars in future expenditures because he buys the stuff every week.
Mackie
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:00 am DH will see something and ask me, "Is that a good price?" The answer these days is almost always, "No."
At my house, DH will see a sale price and ask, "You can do better somewhere else, right?"
I just look at him, and he sighs and says, "I know, not any more."

Course, it doesn't help that when I can do better elsewhere, it's not available.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Im generally doing Okay. But I know the fixed income thing could come and bite me in the proverbial you know what. Majority of my regular bills are fixed except for electric and gas (I go high in the winter and low in the summer cause I like heat). Rent, cell phone, wireless, car insurance and so on are committed although I should probably do my annual car insurance comparison.

I spend more than I probably should on food, Im neither in the moderate or thrifty plan range-although they only consider food and mine is everything together. I'm trying to watch that, but unwilling to cut some things, especially since for my health I have a very specific eating plan these days

I am looking at things on sale or used for most needs-am desperate for some sweaters and between black friday and cyber Monday, took advantage. My entertainment is important to me but I go to the five dollar movies and so on.

I do feel the need to start more savings for a bigger cushion after the holidays (Ill probably add my SS increase to that whatever is left after the part B increase) and do get concerned about spring travel and road trip goals with gas

In general I am not an "i only eat chicken breasts" kind of person so if one thing is out of stock or not on sale, I'm happy to substitute anything else. Unfortunately craft supplies do not go on sale much-at least quilting fabric and good yarn.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:00 am DH will see something and ask me, "Is that a good price?" The answer these days is almost always, "No."

I also explained to him the magic of knowing regular prices and comparing them to "buy two" specials. His favorite V-8 juice was on sale two for $7, but he didn't want to buy it because we had an extra bottle at home. I explained how buying two on sale would save almost four dollars in future expenditures because he buys the stuff every week.
I made a quick trip to our local store and bought a few things. Of course pinto beans. I had used the last one pound pack last week

I thought that I should buy a bigger pack and save money - nope. Buying two 1-pound packs was cheaper!!
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Quilter51 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:53 am Im generally doing Okay. But I know the fixed income thing could come and bite me in the proverbial you know what. Majority of my regular bills are fixed except for electric and gas (I go high in the winter and low in the summer cause I like heat). Rent, cell phone, wireless, car insurance and so on are committed although I should probably do my annual car insurance comparison.

I spend more than I probably should on food, Im neither in the moderate or thrifty plan range-although they only consider food and mine is everything together. I'm trying to watch that, but unwilling to cut some things, especially since for my health I have a very specific eating plan these days

I am looking at things on sale or used for most needs-am desperate for some sweaters and between black friday and cyber Monday, took advantage. My entertainment is important to me but I go to the five dollar movies and so on.

I do feel the need to start more savings for a bigger cushion after the holidays (Ill probably add my SS increase to that whatever is left after the part B increase) and do get concerned about spring travel and road trip goals with gas

In general I am not an "i only eat chicken breasts" kind of person so if one thing is out of stock or not on sale, I'm happy to substitute anything else. Unfortunately craft supplies do not go on sale much-at least quilting fabric and good yarn.
What a difference summer and winter make. I was paying electric bills yesterday and each was 100 dollars less. I pay the utilities on the former family home. My nephew, wife and kids live there.

My siblings tell me to cut them off, but I cannot at the moment. But will talk to them about it in the new year

Surprisingly even with paying their electric, natural gas and water, I am doing okay. Maybe giving is bringing something back to me??