Pet Food Shortages?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Pet Food Shortages?

Post by HappyDaze »

Has anyone else noticed a shortage of pet foods - canned cat food in particular? We have been seeing it here for quite awhile. I did some research today and it's a real thing - locally (supply chain issues I guess) and other places. I get the big multi packs - the best buy - and those are hardest to find. i went to 4 stores today - ZERO multi packs.
I bought 4 single cans and will try again in a couple days. DD and I are rationing the canned - mixing half a small 5.5 oz. can with 3 soup cans of dry food and 1/2 cup of beef or chicken broth from Dollar Tree, rather than a full can. There are 4 strays plus my cat who get this concoction twice a day in winter, once a day in warm weather. We were talking today about different ways we could feed the stray cats if this gets worse (cooked chicken parts, etc.).
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Re: Pet Food Shortages?

Post by MackerelCat »

Yes. Publix was almost bare of canned cat food and Chewy did not have stuff in stock that we usually order. Because Ollie Cat is so particular about what he will eat, I try to buy well ahead of us running out.

Food Lion is almost always picked over as well.

Chicken gizzards, hearts and livers would be cheap and give the cats good nutrition. You can poach them in broth with a little rice and them whizz it up with the blender to make a kind of soupy food.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:19 pm Yes. Publix was almost bare of canned cat food and Chewy did not have stuff in stock that we usually order. Because Ollie Cat is so particular about what he will eat, I try to buy well ahead of us running out.

Food Lion is almost always picked over as well.

Chicken gizzards, hearts and livers would be cheap and give the cats good nutrition. You can poach them in broth with a little rice and them whizz it up with the blender to make a kind of soupy food.
Thanks for that idea, Mackie. I wonder if the butcher at the grocery would sell me a bunch of "chicken parts" - won't hurt to ask. I could freeze them and cook a few as needed.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

yes - have had delays in my Chewie.com orders.

A few weeks ago I could not get the medium sized milk bone, so had to change to flavored mini

And then it is now taking longer to fill orders. I used to be able to put in an order, get an email response that they were packing it in less than an hour.

Now it is about two days for that.
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

I guess it's time to make a run to Pet Smart on Monday. I bought 4 large bags when I went a couple of weeks ago hoping that would last until after the holidays but I guess I will get more. I can deal with people food shortage but not pets! They don't understand the situation and get rather obnoxious if they don't get their meals in a timely manner. I will have to put the food in the closet in the house, otherwise one of the cats eats through the bag and makes a mess.

Bev
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Absolutely there has been a shortage of canned cat food for months. In the early months of the pandemic when I returned to shopping at Publix there was very little Fancy Feast. Then it appeared for a few months but then it disappeared and I haven’t seen it on the shelves for many months. I buy the Publix brand food and it is hit or miss so I buy it when I see it. I have not looked for the Publix variety packs lately but in the past week Publix has put those packs on it’s limit list - 2 per person. The only canned cat food I see a lot is Purina which is expensive, .95/can I think.

I have not seen a shortage of the dry food.