Do you know about death benefits

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: Do you know about death benefits

Post by Quilter51 »

In the states a house will require probate in most states. Since we had recently sold ours and not rebought our will was not prorated. I had a durable power of attorney before. Everything we owned was joint with rights of survivorship and my mine insurance automatically came to the spouse unless she permits a change. Same with pension.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

As for the vets I'm fairly sureits rei.utesement after unless it's at a federal cemetery and you should get a letter of pre approval first. My husband was cremated and is interred at Arlington. In fairness the VA does not making getting most things easy in my experience.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

Jackie, I had to probate my late husbands will because of the house.

Now I have no real assets, my bank accounts are all joint with my daughter.

But if you own property at least in the US you need to probate the will.

A very close friend who was a Legal assistant and her attorney boss helped me. I ended up only paying court costs and a portion of the legal fees, as she went to court for another client at the same time.

Penny
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Yes, although most of mom’s assets had me as beneficiary or joint owner, I had to go through probate for the house and some stock. Still, it was easy.