Credit Card Marketing

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: Credit Card Marketing

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:28 pm There was one year when DH and I had paid off all our credit cards and we were hit by such an onslaught of offers that we threw all of them in a box and counted them at the end of the year. We received 146 offers in a year, mostly to DH and myself, but my mom, who was in the nursing home, received 17, and DS, who was only 14, received one, probably because his name was on our dog's registration papers.

DH says we hardly ever get them now and DS gets only a few.
That is just absurd that your mom and your son got those offers too! I want to contact the companies and ask them to stop sending the stuff - it's a pain to make sure they're shredded/properly disposed of.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

DH got an invitation to open a cc account in last week's mail. First time in a looong time we've had an attempt to provide credit. It's my fault, I lifted our credit freeze for 10 days a couple months ago, long enough to get two new cards with $ back for spending a certain amount in 90 days. Spent (planned spending), got the $ back, applied it to the balances, paid the balances off, and shelved them. I guess that 10-day window was enough to encourage someone to make an offer.

I tossed it in the burn pile; the credit is staying frozen, LOL. Hopefully that'll be the only one we see.

What I do get that peeves me is offers from the icky company that wound up buying our refi'd mortgage. Seems like every 10 minutes there's an offer to either refi or borrow against our equity. No and no. If there was some way to get away from them without it costing anything, I'd do it, but with my luck if I refi'd again, these people would just buy the mortgage again. Seriously, had I known how horrible they are (they reek of attempts at predatory lending) I'd have stayed with our original mortgage - those people NEVER bothered us.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I just toss all new credit card applications on the "to be shredded" pile without opening them.

I have a cash back card with my bank and that is all I need.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

My daughter had one credit card that she applied for in order to pay her insurance each month. The bank gave her one for 1000 limit.never had a job. No income except 1200 she got from her Dad’s ss. Couldn’t have a bank account because she was on Medicaid. Canceled it when she passed away. Now she has started getting at least once a week, offers for credit cards. Of course they wouldn’t have approved it for the terms they stated if she was still living.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Credit card companies are a riot. We occasionally get new ones (once every 2-4 years) because I'll read on nerdwallet that someone puts out an offer like "spend $1000 in 90 days, get $250 cash back" (used to be more than $250, but meh, the economy has suffered from the pandemic) - most of those same offers include 18-24 months at 0% financing, so as long as you're disciplined you can work them to your advantage.

Those nutty people will offer me higher credit $ than DH. He makes 4 times what I do and hasn't carried a balance that wasn't at 0% interest in nearly 20 years. They KNOW this, because they have access to our financial histories. It's like.... do you not READ?!?

Maybe they think I need the $, because my part-time contracting gig pays only moderately well? That's illogical, why give me a high credit line if I "need" it? Just sounds like setting someone up to goof. I guess that's what they want, for me to be at the end of that 18-24 month period owing a hefty balance at some crazy interest rate. Never sorry to disappoint them :lol:

The sad thing about that is the folks who do end up in some dire urgency and take their offer get played. Irks me.