What Have You Had "Forever" That is Still Going Strong?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: What Have You Had "Forever" That is Still Going Strong?

Post by floridacatlover »

clemencia2us wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:26 pm Don't jinx me man - lol

Our washer and dryer that I bought back in maybe 2001. The washer has had one repair

Today the dryer was a little skethchy.
My washer and dryer are from 1990. One repair on the washer early on - the knob which I probably could have fixed myself. They are Sears Kenmore from the Sears Appliance Outlet which just closed in the last year.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I have so many items that I’ve had “forever.” Sofa (which is a sleep sofa) bought around 1984 from Ethan Allen and recovered once. Maple coffee table bought at auction mid-1980s. Maple dining set my mom found at a garage sale and delivered it to me in Virginia around 1987-88. Black jacket bought at JC Penney 25-30 years ago. (I was with my uncle when I bought it and he died around 1994.) Raincoat with a zip-out lining that I use as my main coat, bought around 1989-90. There’s lots more but that is a few.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I still have the dresser and bookcase bought in 1984 as my first post-college furniture. They were slightly damaged from a furniture store. I sanded out the scratch on each and touched up the finish. Use them every day.

Also our little Sears chest freezer, which has been going strong since 1994 and saved us so much money over the years.
Mackie
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

My car – since 2014 – it’s not going anywhere anytime soon. It’s paid for and I plan on driving it until I’m done driving. These days I put very few miles on it, so it should last me even longer than I planned on.

All our furniture ranges from 1980s to mid-2000s, with the exception of the dining room pieces and DH’s desk, which are 1950s/60s. It will last for many years to come.

When we moved into this house in 1999, the owners left us a washer an dryer. It wasn’t new then, and it’s still plugging along. It’s a Kenmore, of course. I try to deep clean it a few times a year and make sure the vent area is clear. We hope it lasts forever!

The fridge, a large white side by side, was also gifted to us. For a while we enjoyed using the ice dispencer, but it broke. I called around to try to find the defective part and get it replaced, but turns out they don’t make it anymore. Hmmm. So we do without the ice in the door and just help ourselves from the bin. No biggie.
Patty
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Just last week I realized that my hair comb is THIRTY years old.

I have a piano bench that was my grandmothers, so it's from at least the 1960's. I've had it 30 years.....it has moved with me a dozen times, it's been a coffee table, desk, dining table, bedside table, storage and hiding place under the seat, ironing board, plant table, and of course a seat (for two!). The legs have never loosened, the hinges are still straight, the bottom of the storage under the seat has never sagged or come loose, It's the greatest thing, ever, lol I don't have a piano.
ohjodi
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

My oldest appliance now is my 40 year old Viking chest freezer which we purchased new from Eaton’s. My 2001 Acura is still running strong as I see the student who lives in our neighborhood still driving it. My teak dining room suite was purchased second hand when we got married in 1980, my guess is it was made in the early 70’s. At the time it was very trendy and modern with its clean lines. And I still wear my grey, kick pleated wool skirt I purchased in 1979, which was part of my power suit and I was applying for my first professional job.

Creative