What Have You Had "Forever" That is Still Going Strong?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

What Have You Had "Forever" That is Still Going Strong?

Post by HappyDaze »

What are some items you have owned for a long time that are still serving you well? Some things I have had for years and years that are still doing their job ---
My winter boots (purchased in July of 2008 - $100 Crocs for less than $40), my winter jacket - can't remember where I got it but it has been at least 15 years. It is reversible and the side I wear "out" is waterproof.
My car (knock on wood) - purchased new in 2009. Two pairs of good sneakers - purchased over 4 years ago. It's getting time for replacements -- I put a lot of miles on them -- but they do have a little life left in them.

My kitchen table and 4 chairs - an old drop leave farmers table and matching chairs purchased at a junk shop for $50 in 2007. They were an ugly color - I painted them a very pale, dusty yellow. My HP laptop - I think I got it in 2008 - and boy is it slow and struggling - but I'll use it until the bitter end.
My free standing dish cupboard (I guess some would call it a china cabinet or hutch - but it is more of a farmhouse style or craftsman style - not fancy). That was new in 2003 or 2004. Also some of my books I have had "forever" - I don't keep many books but the few I own have been with me for a very long time.
Something I no longer have but served me well and cost me nothing - in 2007, I bought a used washing machine for $75, used it for 7 years and sold it for - $75.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
SandiSAHM

Re: What Have You Had "Forever" That is Still Going Strong?

Post by SandiSAHM »

A "stadium coat" from Land's End. No idea why it's called that, I only remember the name because I once wore it to a stadium and thought "maybe that's why..." It's a long, warm coat with plenty of pockets, a hood and a nice lining, a zipper AND a flap that closes over the full length of the zipper. I wore it to the Bears/Lions football game in Chicago 12/2/1990, coldest I've ever been, and did not freeze to death :lol: - I don't remember exactly how old it is, but it had to have been purchased between late 1988 and November of 1990. At this rate I'll never need another one, it still looks new. The lining zips out so the 2 parts can be washed separately.

Another coat by the same company, brown with a brown corduroy collar. Shorter, not as many pockets (no inside pocket :?; I love inside pockets). Just keeps on being warm and looks great with a red scarf and gloves :D Bought it in 1999.

I doubt anyone (including LE, sadly) is making anything that long-lasting anymore.

A 2009 Camry that, by the grace of God, just keeps on keeping on; bought it used in 2011. DH's Prius is equally reliable.

I've had the furniture that's in our bedroom since 1992. Bought it from a "raw" furniture place and stained / sealed it myself. It's very late 80s 'modern' - rounded corners, no hardware - and I have wearied of the sight of it - however.... where, these days, am I going to find 100% wood construction - no fiberboard, no laminate, without paying a fortune? Nowhere. So it stays. I was going to paint it last year but couldn't quite get my act together and get started (when I wasn't working, I would have knocked the whole thing out in a month, but with work my "free" time is super limited). Now that the floor is getting done next month and I have to move everything out of the room anyway, I may just leave it in the garage and paint it then take it back in as it's done (actually, I think it'll sit in the entry 'til the paint has cured, at room temp / humidity). Might as well add a little trim and some hardware, make it a little more 'now.' At least I know I can get the trim in real wood. I guess we'll see.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Don't jinx me man - lol

Our washer and dryer that I bought back in maybe 2001. The washer has had one repair

Today the dryer was a little skethchy.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

My car is a 2007 with 67K miles

But I just drive it a couple times a week to the local store.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Have that laptop updated and add more memory. Should not cost much
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Oh and yes I have a lime green all weather coat from Eddie Bauer

I do not know how old it is, but still hanging in there. I washed it this week to get ready for our south texas winter

But I did order a new one and I love it.