Daily Check In December 2, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

Re: Daily Check In December 2, 2021

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Spent the better part of yesterday with my sister as we went down to check out the available apartment. Only last night, however, after accepting it, she finally admitted that she wasn't happy with it and can't see herself inviting her friends. She feels that she has hit absolutely rock bottom and I don't know how to help her. I can't blame her; it's definitely not a place one would say proudly that that's where they intend on spending the rest of their life.

It does have a "pool room" as in the game, a laundry room and a community room with a "small" library area and TV area. There's also a small sitting area out in the back of the building. The building is more an of industrial construction with extremely thick concrete walls separating the apartments. As is common, the apartments are extremely small and painted an awful yellow which the maintenance person who showed us the apartment told her she could paint to make it her. There is basically no kitchen counter except for a few inches to the right and left of the sink. To me it's not the best studio I've seen but subsidized/affordable housing is difficult to get into and is definitely not granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances. The one thing I dislike about it most of all, however, is that the windows appear to be more of a half window and they sit up high so to see out of them you have to be standing.

I've offered my sister the opportunity of moving to a more commercial apartment studio when they become available, but she refused. I also told her that she could remain with me as well. She said that in all fairness that she does have to give it a try. I do think that if we repaint the walls white and cabinets a light gray and then put in a few pieces of furniture it will make a big difference. She will keep looking for affordable housing however, and she is still on a number of wait lists.

Well, I've got some checks to write and get into the mail so I'll be on my way.

Have a wonderful day.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Logics, paint, furniture and a small rolling prep table or moveable island will make a huge difference. The thick concrete walls will actually become a plus, as they will make the apartment quiet. There's a studio apartment complex like that here and everyone loves living there because it's so quiet. Having the windows up high is probably a safety/privacy feature as well.

She would have hit rock bottom a long time ago without you. You have guided her to a safe place to land and regain some perspective. (((HUGS)))
Mackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

Jackie, your DS’s home options sound nice.

Logics, like you said, when your DSis paints and decorates her new apartment she might change her mind about it. Is it a true studio (one room) or does it have a separate bedroom? My uncle’s subsidized apartment was nice with a separate bedroom and fairly large rooms but the thing we most appreciated was the emergency call system which he used several times.

I just finished one of my least favorite jobs, coloring my hair. But I got it done and I’m glad I did it.

I’ll go to mom’s house later today and do something. Last night was warmer and I can tell it is warm outside.

Not much else going on but I’m enjoying my Christmas decor.

Have a good day.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Logics, I would paint for sure. I would also get a rolling cart of the right size to use for kitchen prep, and or, get something to top the stove so you can work on it as a work station (one of those very large counter protector things perhaps, I wouldn't be a fan of keeping a slab of wood regularly on my stove)

Small touches will make alot of differnces for her comfort and the appearance. Cream or white walls, bright pillows and towels in the kitchen and such. I agree that she may find the concrete gives her a quiet ness as well as some temperature control. Does she have any kind of patio at all? Considering the high windows she may want to get a couple of those "natural light" bulbs. LIving on her own may be difficult at first but it's something that will help her feel more independent and she can change her mind later.

Honestly, now that Ive downsized to my (admittedly larger, two bedroom with bath) retirement apartment we dont do alot of in home visiting. Most of us want to get out and about since we live alone so we tend to meet in other places.

I just finished my breakfast and one hour "earning time" for the day. My goal is between five and ten bucks for an hour give or take a day while still sitting in my pjs and listening to music. I'm going to mainly try finishing the Christmas decor today except for my tabletop tree. I am lousy at setting the lights or flaring the tree so daughter is gonna do that tomorrow. I also need to get a dowel and command hooks to hang a Christmas quilt or two.

Today my projects are to pin baste my quilt on the table so I can quilt it with my walking foot, keep on knitting, work on the christmas and I have a first time podiatry appointment this afternoon for a diabetic foot checks. Yesterday I made chicken pot pie in the slow cooker (I have it with biscuits) and I will have leftovers, I froze the other two parts.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Good morning, all. Logics, I agree 100% with what Mackie said. And I admire your sister for being willing to give the place a try, even if it's not really what she wants. Could she still be in line for an upgrade once she's moved in?

It's another quiet day around here. I submitted my December story yesterday and earned my 12 stories in 12 months badge. It feels good to have accomplished it.

I did not sleep well at all last night, but I feel okay in spite of it. I have taken a bag of cooked turkey from the freezer and will be making a pot pie for supper tonight. It's a beautiful day outside and I wish I could take a walk. But I know it's not safe.

I saw my NP yesterday for a semi-annual visit, just to keep getting my Rx's filled. She was sorry to hear about my diagnosis of chronic radiculopathy. I asked her if a neurologist might be able to do anything for me. Her inclination was no, but she said she was sending a referral for me, just in case. It's worth a shot.

I have lights on our mini tree and they look so pretty. I've been playing Christmas songs to cheer myself up. Yesterday I listened to The Carpenters' Christmas album. I do love it. My favorite song is Little Altar Boy. Karen Carpenter had such an amazing voice.

Today is a no drive/no spend day. Tomorrow I have an appointment for my Covid booster and my second shingles shot. And, although those shots are both fully covered by insurance, I'll probably pick up a few things at Walgreens while I'm there.
Patty
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

MackerelCat wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:37 am Logics, paint, furniture and a small rolling prep table or moveable island will make a huge difference. The thick concrete walls will actually become a plus, as they will make the apartment quiet. There's a studio apartment complex like that here and everyone loves living there because it's so quiet. Having the windows up high is probably a safety/privacy feature as well.

She would have hit rock bottom a long time ago without you. You have guided her to a safe place to land and regain some perspective. (((HUGS)))
Thanks for the hugs and kind words.

Logics