Daily Check In December 3, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In December 3, 2021

Post by Jackielou »

Just getting us started. Back with coffee very soon.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In December 3, 2021

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I actually slept in today. My eyes popped open at 4, but I got up had a drink of water and crawled back into bed. This time in the room youngest uses when he is home. Slept another 2 hours.

So today will be coffee, finish the tree downstairs (hopefully my back holds out), do the Friday household tasks, do my knitting and perhaps make peanut brittle and hopefully Oh Henry Squares today. I did get the Peanut Butter Cups and Butter Tart Slice done yesterday. I still have a few decorations to put on the tree and then I am done. Hubby can sweep or vacuum the fake needles off the floor.

Still have a great deal to do on the knitted blanket for youngest DS. I hope to get the second strip done by tomorrow and be well started on the third. I can vaguely see me being finished by the end of next week. Hubby's pj bottoms will only be an hours sewing, so I could actually be done with the making of gifts. That is unless I think of something else to fashion. I actually would like to make a new dress for the day.....

I would love to go shopping today as hamburger is on sale...perhaps later this afternoon I could take a walk and get a few packages. It is a really good sale and who knows when it will go on sale again (it has been well over two months since the last sale). Decisions, decisions. I just have to be resolute and just buy the hamburger. No cart necessary.

Frugally I will be making all meals here at home, using what I have on hand. Also busy making Christmas treats. I so hate spending a fortune on chocolates at this time of year. I do purchase candy canes though and need to pick some of those up when I next go for my big shop.

Supper tonight will to be use up more of the fish sticks that Hubby so likes (reminds him of his Mom's Friday suppers). I will bring potatoes up from the stash down in the storage room and make homemade fries. Plus there is enough salad left that we can have that as a side as well.

Today I am grateful that youngest DS gets to see the house he would like to purchase this weekend. I also told him to try and look at a few others in the area. I actually think this is closer to his work and so perhaps he will be saving on fuel, and on very nice days could walk.....
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

Pippi did not eat well at all yesterday and did not want her breakfast this morning. (I am not going to give her any treats until she eats something.) She ate great on her birthday. I check her litter box (!) On Tuesday I thought she would have gained weight from her all time low but she had not. One day at a time.

Can someone be too frugal? I believe my mom was too frugal at times and I do not want to follow that path but have found myself trending that way. I have significant savings, no debts and no close heirs. But still I’ve been scrimping so much that I wondered how I would afford paper towels, shampoo and gas this month. So I moved some money from savings to give myself some breathing room. And instead of trying to find more ways to be frugal I’ve decided to take more from my IRA next year. This isn’t because of inflation. It’s because, again, I have no heirs so why am I scrimping so hard (and I’m not even taking SS yet.)

Pippi has her appointment mid-afternoon. Until then I’m staying home. Yesterday I put out some Christmas decor at mom’s house just for myself and if a neighbor stops by. Also I did more trimming in the yard. Now is a good time to trim while things are not growing in front of my eyes like in summer.

Have a good day.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Jackie, I hope the house tour goes well. FloridaCat, I hope Miss Pippi perks up and eats a bit more today.

Edited to add: I think you are super-frugal because you have been self-supporting so long, and you are right to take a bit more from your IRA instead of worrying about affording the basics.

As I mentioned last night, DS probably has the Norovirus. DH told me not to use DS's bathroom this morning (DS had been sick again in the night). That bathroom has our only working toilet, so you can bet I got to work in a hurry! :-D Jumped into my clothes, made a cup of coffee, gave the dogs their pills and dashed out the door.

Got fingers crossed that I don't catch it. That and spraying everything with bleach are about all I can do.

I am supposed to go to a going-away/50th birthday party at work this afternoon, but may bow out, just in case. DB also wants to have dinner with us tomorrow, and I am going to warn him off as well.

Despite all this, I am hoping to have a good day. It's Friday, so we have the weekend to rest.

Hope you all have a peaceful day.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning

Woke up early to get this day started. Do have to go to help at a community event this afternoon.

Boy yesterday wore me out. Being around so many talkers, stressed me a bit. :shock:

The sun isn't out today. It is drizzling. Hopefully it will improve. We shall see

Take care all
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Slept extremely soundly last night, didn't get up until almost 5:45 this morning.

Laundry is finished and either put away, back on the bed or hanging up to finish drying. Planning on working on my coloring page today among other things.

Sister feeling better today; spoke with one of her longest friends. The only thing that bothers me a bit is that she told her the same thing I did and her daughter. She's done that all her life to me and I could never understand why. When I said something, she'd dismiss it, but when this other person did she was all for it. What my sister doesn't understand is that when she hurts, I hurt for her . . . I guess its the mother instinct in me that I never had a chance to use because I have no children. Oh well. It's definitely not something that's going to change.

Well, going to go for now. Have a great day.