Daily check in: Sunday, December 5, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
chocolite

Daily check in: Sunday, December 5, 2021

Post by chocolite »

It's super early, Hobbes is playing with his flippety-flop fish over and over, DH is rumbling around in the kitchen, and Audrey is lying at my feet. I'm kicked back in the recliner, catching up on posts. Yep...it's one of those nights. We were both awake up about an hour ago and I asked DH, "are you warm?" He said YES and turned on the a/c. Ugh...I just can't sleep hot and it's been this weird type of humid-warm for days now. Thankfully, cooler weather is on its way. At any rate, I think I'm up for the duration, so I thought I'd start us off today.

One nice benefit from this weather is that my rose bush is LOADED with coral colored roses. I haven't checked the red rose bush on the other end of the house but I wouldn't be surprised if it were covered as well. I might ask DH if he’ll cut some for me.

When I got up I thought it was about 6am. I had it all planned out in my head how I was going to fix bacon, eggs, and biscuits and have them ready by the time DH got up. When he got up I told him my plan. He’s gone back to bed now, so hopefully he’ll get some good sleep yet tonight.

Well, I missed my appointment Friday to get my covid booster and second shingles vaccine. Stupid me, I thought the appointment was for 2:30p, but it was actually for 12:30p. Of course, by the time I realized it, it was 12:45. So I booked another appointment for 11:30a today. I keep telling DH, do NOT let me forget it. LOL

I did a Kroger clicklist pickup yesterday and got everything I wanted except cream of celery soup and kitty “broths” for Hobbes. I guess they were cleaned out of the soup over Thanksgiving and just haven’t been able to restock it yet. I’ll keep it on the list for next time. I ordered the broths from Chewy. Even paying the $4.95 shipping fee, they were cheaper there than Kroger. And I got a notice that they’ve been shipped. So we’ll be in good shape for some time to come.

Hobbes is doing well, I think, with the transdermal cream for his hyperthyroidism. He seems to stay hungry, and I think he’s gained a little weight and his fur seems to have a bit more luster. He hates having it done, though, and is completely on to us when it’s time to dose him. The easiest way is for DH to hold him and me to do a quick swipe, but he really gets offended. I always give him a little treat right afterward to ease the sting, lol. But he still comes to me to be petted and made over, and I’m so glad. We have an appointment for him to be rechecked on the 29th of this month and I hope she gives us a good report then. I’m really worried about his kidney levels. With the hyper-T, kidney issues are a common side issue. I lost one cat to kidney disease and so hope that it won’t happen with Hobbes. I just can’t go down that rabbit hole; it’s too dark.

I had my virtual appointment with a new therapist on Friday and I really like her and believe she’ll be able to help me. I had asked for someone who understood chronic pain/disability and boy, did I hit the jackpot with her. She has had her own health issues, which she shared with me just enough to let me see that she is very familiar with mobility issues and all the baggage that goes along with that. I’m really hopeful she can help me navigate my new reality and make it work for me.

Y’all. (insert eye roll here) DH put up a small (4ft) table-top tree for me this year, since I told him I just couldn’t do the 7ft tree we usually do. Anyway, it has clear lights on it, but some of them aren’t working. I’m an old-fashioned girl when it comes to Christmas and I love colored lights. So I found a strand of colored lights in one of the crates and added it to the tree – but they weren’t quite enough to cover the whole thing (I like a lot of lights). Anyway, I asked DH to go in the attic and pull out one strand of lights for me to finish covering the tree. So……….last night he brings in a plastic bag (like a Walmart bag) with lights in it. Wonderful, thanks honey. A little while ago I pulled out the lights. It’s this huge ball of lights, literally. I immediately flash to the Christmas Vacation scene where Rusty pulls out the giant ball of lights and Clark tells him to unravel them – “there’s a little knot here.” LOL. I’m hoping there is more than one strand connected together…otherwise that tree may be bending like the Charlie Brown tree from the weight, lol.

I haven’t been doing a lot of cooking lately and I need to remedy that. I did make a turkey pot pie on Friday night and we had that for a couple days. I’m not sure what I’ll make for supper tonight. Maybe chili. It’s supposed to be an overcast and rainy day, so chili might just hit the spot.
Patty
Jackielou

Re: Daily check in: Sunday, December 5, 2021

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I have been up for a bit, but busy catching up with a few folks on Facebook. Mainly our oldest DS. He co wrote another article on hate groups here in Canada with 2 others and is once again being targeted by said groups. They have gone so far as to post his address, vehicle and plate numbers online. They were taken down, but now they are circulating among some truly nasty people. He still keeps doing what he is doing though and will move on to do something more as he has threatened in a post (his Facebook can be found and that is where he posted). Silly people don't realize they poked a sleeping bear.

Youngest DS got to see the house yesterday, and while there are a few things that would need to be fixed, it really isn't in that bad of shape. The closets are a bit small, as is the bathroom, but there are new windows, the wiring looks awesome, as does the furnace, and the shingles are lying flat with no curl to them. We were worried about the basement as in the older section of the city the smallish basements seem to crumble. This basement has been professionally braced and from the picture they did a wonderful job. DS has a few more houses to look at, but he has a limited mortgage and does not want to wait too long. He was sleeping on it last night and then phoning us today to talk. We just want him out of the roach infested apartment building he is in.

We got snow starting about 5 last night. Not as much as predicted, but enough to cover the ground in a sheet of white. The snow is still lightly falling though so perhaps more accumulation will happen. Not at all the huge snow storm that was being predicted, however that could still happen.

It should be another quiet day on the old homestead. I have very few "must do" chores, like making the next weeks household task list, and bringing up the main courses for next week and putting them in the fridge freezer. I may also start the shopping list by going through the cupboards and seeing what I can't do without or have run precariously low in. I will more than likely bake and knit the rest of the time. So really just a bit of the usual weekend around here.

It almost seems as if I will actually have things done by Christmas that need doing by that time. I may even have some time to make myself a new dress for our small Christmas get together (that is if we are allowed one). Still, once again I procrastinated just a tad too long in getting started. I was good last year, and need to remember that the more complicated something I want to make is, the longer it takes.

Supper tonight is going to be roast beef, and the usual roasted potatoes and carrots. There is enough salad from last night that we can use that as a side as well.

Today I am grateful for the little bit of snow cover we have gotten. Everything looks so clean.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

chocolite wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:49 am It's super early, Hobbes is playing with his flippety-flop fish over and over, DH is rumbling around in the kitchen, and Audrey is lying at my feet. I'm kicked back in the recliner, catching up on posts. Yep...it's one of those nights. We were both awake up about an hour ago and I asked DH, "are you warm?" He said YES and turned on the a/c. Ugh...I just can't sleep hot and it's been this weird type of humid-warm for days now. Thankfully, cooler weather is on its way. At any rate, I think I'm up for the duration, so I thought I'd start us off today.

One nice benefit from this weather is that my rose bush is LOADED with coral colored roses. I haven't checked the red rose bush on the other end of the house but I wouldn't be surprised if it were covered as well. I might ask DH if he’ll cut some for me.

When I got up I thought it was about 6am. I had it all planned out in my head how I was going to fix bacon, eggs, and biscuits and have them ready by the time DH got up. When he got up I told him my plan. He’s gone back to bed now, so hopefully he’ll get some good sleep yet tonight.

Well, I missed my appointment Friday to get my covid booster and second shingles vaccine. Stupid me, I thought the appointment was for 2:30p, but it was actually for 12:30p. Of course, by the time I realized it, it was 12:45. So I booked another appointment for 11:30a today. I keep telling DH, do NOT let me forget it. LOL

I did a Kroger clicklist pickup yesterday and got everything I wanted except cream of celery soup and kitty “broths” for Hobbes. I guess they were cleaned out of the soup over Thanksgiving and just haven’t been able to restock it yet. I’ll keep it on the list for next time. I ordered the broths from Chewy. Even paying the $4.95 shipping fee, they were cheaper there than Kroger. And I got a notice that they’ve been shipped. So we’ll be in good shape for some time to come.

Hobbes is doing well, I think, with the transdermal cream for his hyperthyroidism. He seems to stay hungry, and I think he’s gained a little weight and his fur seems to have a bit more luster. He hates having it done, though, and is completely on to us when it’s time to dose him. The easiest way is for DH to hold him and me to do a quick swipe, but he really gets offended. I always give him a little treat right afterward to ease the sting, lol. But he still comes to me to be petted and made over, and I’m so glad. We have an appointment for him to be rechecked on the 29th of this month and I hope she gives us a good report then. I’m really worried about his kidney levels. With the hyper-T, kidney issues are a common side issue. I lost one cat to kidney disease and so hope that it won’t happen with Hobbes. I just can’t go down that rabbit hole; it’s too dark.

I had my virtual appointment with a new therapist on Friday and I really like her and believe she’ll be able to help me. I had asked for someone who understood chronic pain/disability and boy, did I hit the jackpot with her. She has had her own health issues, which she shared with me just enough to let me see that she is very familiar with mobility issues and all the baggage that goes along with that. I’m really hopeful she can help me navigate my new reality and make it work for me.

Y’all. (insert eye roll here) DH put up a small (4ft) table-top tree for me this year, since I told him I just couldn’t do the 7ft tree we usually do. Anyway, it has clear lights on it, but some of them aren’t working. I’m an old-fashioned girl when it comes to Christmas and I love colored lights. So I found a strand of colored lights in one of the crates and added it to the tree – but they weren’t quite enough to cover the whole thing (I like a lot of lights). Anyway, I asked DH to go in the attic and pull out one strand of lights for me to finish covering the tree. So……….last night he brings in a plastic bag (like a Walmart bag) with lights in it. Wonderful, thanks honey. A little while ago I pulled out the lights. It’s this huge ball of lights, literally. I immediately flash to the Christmas Vacation scene where Rusty pulls out the giant ball of lights and Clark tells him to unravel them – “there’s a little knot here.” LOL. I’m hoping there is more than one strand connected together…otherwise that tree may be bending like the Charlie Brown tree from the weight, lol.

I haven’t been doing a lot of cooking lately and I need to remedy that. I did make a turkey pot pie on Friday night and we had that for a couple days. I’m not sure what I’ll make for supper tonight. Maybe chili. It’s supposed to be an overcast and rainy day, so chili might just hit the spot.
Patty, I’m glad that Hobbes is doing OK with the transdermal cream. I’m with you for worrying about both the thyroid and kidney issues in cats. Hobbes is young and I think he’ll do well. You are a wonderful pet mama.

I’m glad that the therapist is good. I admire you for fighting so hard to have a good life.

Would you reconsider having your Covid booster and shingles shot at the same time? I think you said it was your second shingles shot so you know what to expect but I’m a wimp and would not want soreness in both arms. My cousin did the same as you with flu shot in one arm and shingles in the other and it didn’t bother him but as I said, I’m a wimp.

When I was cleaning out bins in mom’s garage after she died, I found net lights that we used on the front hedge completely tangled. I tried to “organize” them but gave up and threw them in the trash. I hated to do it but they were such a tangled mess.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

Pippi is better. I made a real mistake giving her so much of the new FreshPet food last week. It upset her system and was too rich I think. She threw up several times on Friday/Friday night and has had diarrhea. I had a pouch of kitty broth in the pantry and gave that to her yesterday and went to Publix to buy more. Now I have her back on regular canned food. She is much more herself and alert and as active as she’s been in recent weeks. Friday night I really thought that Saturday was the day I would have to say goodbye to her but she rebounded as she has done in the past. She is a fighter.

I really did nothing yesterday and don’t have any plans for today except for hopefully working on my Christmas cards. I’ve always been a procrastinator when it comes to cards.

It is warm here. My a/c has been coming on. Like Clem’s COD, I have my house set at 77 F. It really is perfect weather, cool at night and warm in the daytime.

I left a Christmas card with a tip taped to my front door for the Amazon delivery guy yesterday but he didn’t take it. I think they are required to work so fast that they are oblivious to their surroundings. My friend was tutoring a Venezuelan couple in English and the guy was working for Amazon delivery. He said they start at 6 a.m. and have to deliver 200 packages a day. Very hard work.

Have a good day and everyone stay healthy.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Slept a good 8 hours last night but did wake up once.

Today is going to be in the low 40s but mostly cloudy as rain is expected early morning Monday. That means that I don't put out papers until early Tuesday morning or bring them back to the recycle area myself.

Have already done my exercise. Have cut back on it significantly but once sister is gone, will be able to get myself back to speed.

Nothing special planned for today. It will be completely spontaneous.

Well, going to wish all of you a great Sunday.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Good morning all. Patty, good luck with those lights! Florida, I'm glad Pip is doing well! I slept in a little - it was an "up and down" night - one of the dogs (how bad is it that I don't remember which one!) went out at one point and one of them woke me up asking to get under the covers and then I was up to use my inhaler.
Yesterday was a shopping day. I was done Christmas shopping but my coworker and I went in together to sponsor a local child for Christmas. We got a 5 year old girl and split her list (it's a paper that the parents or worker fills out with her sizes, needs, likes, etc.). I got her three outfits - pants and long sleeve shirts, 2 packages of underwear, a paint set and crayons and coloring book. My coworker will be picking up some toys.

i went to FIVE stores yesterday in search of "affordable" canned cat food in a multi pack (NO fancy feast, etc.) and found exactly ONE pack - which I purchased. That should see us through until my online order comes.
Today I have to get into the budget pay bills, manage paperwork, etc. and get organized for the upcoming week. I hope you all have a good one.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz