Diagnosis - Anyone Have Experience?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Diagnosis - Anyone Have Experience?

Post by HappyDaze »

I am probably over-sharing and if my frugal friends aren't comfortable sharing - I truly understand and respect that. On Friday I was diagnosed with psoriasis. I went to the doctor for an itchy rash on the back of my neck that I have had for about a month and BAM. It isn't "severe" in terms of how bad it could be - but it's not pleasant. I have a prescription - we'll see if it helps.
I have the factual information - this is my immune system regenerating new skin cells faster than a "normal" person does, and faster than my body can shed the old ones, nobody can catch from you, you can't make it spread by scratching, it doesn't happen because someone isn't clean, etc. My doctor said that if anyone ever figures out WHY some people get it, they would win the Nobel Prize. He said it can't be cured but it can be managed. Right now I don't have it anyplace else and we are trying to get this flare up to be gone. What I am looking for is any TIPS on how anyone who has had to deal with this found relief or helped a flare up go away faster. Thank you if you want to share - and if you don't.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Re: Diagnosis - Anyone Have Experience?

Post by MackerelCat »

I have psoriasis. It used to show up as plaques on my shins, elbows and hip, but now mostly affects my scalp, mainly at the back hairline, and nails. My case is also mild. Our family doctor back home prescribed an ointment for the skin plaques that worked great. They have not shown up in years.

For my scalp, I use a coal tar shampoo when there's a flare-up (the shampoo stinks something awful) and have to keep my nails cut short. Any trauma to my nails will cause a flare and make the nail separate from the nail bed, becoming red and painful. The only relief is to trim off the separated section of nail, which can make for some weird looking fingernails.

I can't let my hair grow out long because getting hot causes my scalp to itch like crazy. So my hair stays short and layered.

I hope the ointment works great for your neck. Try to keep the area moisturized and wear fabrics that are soft and won't rub it. The dry air of winter usually makes psoriasis a bit worse, and it gets better when you can expose the area to sunshine in warmer months.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:47 am I have psoriasis. It used to show up as plaques on my shins, elbows and hip, but now mostly affects my scalp, mainly at the back hairline, and nails. My case is also mild. Our family doctor back home prescribed an ointment for the skin plaques that worked great. They have not shown up in years.

For my scalp, I use a coal tar shampoo when there's a flare-up (the shampoo stinks something awful) and have to keep my nails cut short. Any trauma to my nails will cause a flare and make the nail separate from the nail bed, becoming red and painful. The only relief is to trim off the separated section of nail, which can make for some weird looking fingernails.

I can't let my hair grow out long because getting hot causes my scalp to itch like crazy. So my hair stays short and layered.

I hope the ointment works great for your neck. Try to keep the area moisturized and wear fabrics that are soft and won't rub it. The dry air of winter usually makes psoriasis a bit worse, and it gets better when you can expose the area to sunshine in warmer months.
Mackie, I wish to the heavens that I could give you a hug right now. Thank you for sharing what you know with me! I have written down all of your suggestions in my planner.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

My sister has psoriasis and it's often severe. I know she uses the coal tar shampoo and she uses a botanical.and an expensive ointment as-needed. She gets so.e pretty bad pain especially as it appears on her back and stomach. I dint have any advise ot tips as such other than that info. Sorry.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:59 am Mackie, I wish to the heavens that I could give you a hug right now. Thank you for sharing what you know with me! I have written down all of your suggestions in my planner.
Aw, sweetie. I sincerely hope the medication does the trick for you. I honestly think stress also exacerbates psoriasis, as mine was worst in the last couple of years of my mother's life, when she was doing very poorly and I was trying to get DS through high school.

Did anyone in your family, a grandparent or an aunt or uncle, ever have it or any kind of chronic skin condition? Mine is inherited: my mom had a form of it, as did her father.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I am not aware of anyone in my family who had it - or any skin condition. I will have to ask my mom and sister. I agree regarding the stress - 2021 has been far more stressful for me than 2020 - and put that on top of 2020 - yeah. The medicine is providing me some temporary relief - so far not making it go away - but it has only been a day.

Charles M. Schultz