Daily Check In December 7, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Grannysewstoys

Re: Daily Check In December 7, 2021

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I have gathered the trash and put it out. I have a white wash in the washer.

I need to cut out two presents. And finish a Triceratops. He/she will also is spring green.

I need to finish loading and set off the dishwasher. All that will fit is my breakfast.

I also put out the packages I have set up for pick up today.

Penny
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

MJ I am sorry to hear about your friend. It was 77 this weekend, it was thirty degrees last night (and forty of fifty during the day) and in another day it will be eighty degrees again. headache weather in full. Not going anywhere today I don't think although I might decide I desperately need more basting pins.

Daughter came over yesterday and helped me with my small tree and a couple other things (I am terrible at lights and fluffing, even on my little four foot tree). I'd like to still hang a mini quilt and maybe make or buy a couple Christmas pictures for the walls but other than that I'm fine with my very minimal look these days especially as I spend the night before, day off and day after at my daughter's. Still deciding what if any cookies to make. I'd like to make a few sugar cookies and decorate but mainly I'm going to concentrate on mexican wedding rings and the like. No candy here.

I've tentatively decided to let my blog go. I haven't done anything yet to make sure and see what I decide. I am going to start a second blog called making it in retirement which will mainly be about making things and crafting and things like that, but I'll start it after the first of the year.

I don't know what's for lunch, but Im pulling beef vegetable soup from the freezer and having it with leftover corn muffins. I have knitting and reading and I may have to go to the store and put on real clothes just to get more basting safety pins. Today is SS payday so I'll also order any gifts online that I'm not getting locally.

My daughter just asked for a craft, any craft, as an idea on her wish list. Since her life is puppies I'm thinking either a nice string art set or a needle felting set for either succulents (which she also loves) or dogs. What else could I do? not sure.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

Yes it is a little chilly here in south Tx. 56 degrees, but nice and sunny.

I'm dressed and ready for the day. I'm hungry too.

What to eat??

Will probably go to the city council meeting this evening. Crazy times here. Pray that it goes well and our new administrator is not terminated. Thanks

Have a great day!!
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:12 am I have a wee story for you all. :)

My Dad was born on this day 95, year ago; December 7, 1926.

When he was a kid, he and his Dad would go into town and Nelson's Department Store had a grocery attached at the back (It was still there when we moved to Luverne, MN in 1969). This would have been in the 1930's and early 1940's. It was one of those old stores with the broad pine floors, the tin plate ceilings and all the wooden barrels full of dry goods and such with big metal scoops in them.

From Thanksgiving until just after the New Year was DAD's time of year. His happiest. Nori always made him candy and "dog food." We soon were all asking for dog food to be made at Christmas time and others would look at us like we'd lost our minds. :mrgreen: Well, when Dad was a little boy, he and his Dad would go to Nelson's Grocery to get somethings for Grandma and some Candy for themselves. Turns out the big, old store dog slept on top of the barrel that help the peanut brittle and from then on it became known as "Dog Food!" LOL
MJ
MJ, what a sweet story. I love stories about good fathers. They used to make me sad but now, more than anything, they make me happy for the person telling them. With maybe a little bit of wistfulness on the side.

BTW, I have heard of microwave peanut brittle. I've made cashew brittle in the microwave and it turns out really good. Just something to think about...
Patty
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:17 am MJ I am sorry to hear about your friend John. I hope he will heal quickly. I have said a prayer for him and will keep him in my thoughts and prayers for quick healing.
Thanks Allie! Still waiting on news from Zoe this morning on what the end outcome was from ER last night.

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Florida Cat, I am thinking of and praying for you and your sweet Pippi. I totally understand that you want every possible minute you can have but you don’t want her to suffer. Wish I could give you a big hug.

Jackie, I know you are worried about your DS. Hugs to you.

Logics, a big hug to you. The holidays are just hard. No other way around it.

Barb, I will miss your blog. I always enjoy your posts. I hope when you get the new one up and running, you let us know where to find it.

Our weather has been nutso. We’ve had a pretty warm Fall, with some brisk days thrown in. It was in the 70s over the weekend, then got cold yesterday (below freezing last night). But then I saw on Thursday it’s supposed to be 78°! That’s what I call BI-POLAR weather.

I got up early (for me) and went to the post office. I expected it to be a zoo and was not disappointed. But, a nice lady helped me with my package to DS and a few more stamps so I could send my cards. So that’s all done and crossed off my list.

I’d love to make some (cut out/decorated) sugar cookies for Christmas but realistically I don’t think I’m up to it. I guess I could just buy a package or two of the dough and make those. I could add some red/green sprinkles before I bake. I have some up in the cabinet. That would be easy and still festive, and something we could share with our sweet neighbor. LOL, I think I just talked myself into it. Now to see if I can get the refrigerated sugar cookie dough.

Not sure yet what supper will be, but it’ll be from the freezer and pantry. I made cornbread last night and I’ll crisp it up in the toaster oven to go with whatever else.
Patty