The Most Frugal Thing You Have Done Recently

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: The Most Frugal Thing You Have Done Recently

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:16 am That is very strange. I do hope that you can get it fixed at a reasonable price. I do have one question do you use a key fob to open the doors? If so could the battery in the fob be going dead? I have heard of that happening with vehicles when the fob batteries go.
Jackie, that was my first thought - and I replaced the key fob battery. I wish it had been that simple. One of the things I read online is that "the lock system may need resetting" - and it provides do-it-yourself instructions - start the ignition, press this, press that, wait for this or that light to blink..." I WISH I was up to trying it myself. I may ask DD's person to try it - he knows a bit about cars.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:29 am Jackie, that was my first thought - and I replaced the key fob battery. I wish it had been that simple. One of the things I read online is that "the lock system may need resetting" - and it provides do-it-yourself instructions - start the ignition, press this, press that, wait for this or that light to blink..." I WISH I was up to trying it myself. I may ask DD's person to try it - he knows a bit about cars.
Pretty sure you would have tried this already. Yes the resetting the lock system would be tricky. As you say perhaps DD's person could give it a try later on.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:50 am Pretty sure you would have tried this already. Yes the resetting the lock system would be tricky. As you say perhaps DD's person could give it a try later on.
If DD's SO can't do it - it is the first thing I'm going to ask the mechanic about I trust them and don't think it would happen - but I don't want them tearing into the car if it's a simple 3-minute reset. At the very least I want them to know I have done my homework.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

i just finished darning a small hole in a sock - I wanted to get it repaired before the hole got larger.

In theory, I should not need to buy any socks for years and years - I always ask for them for Christmas and I also got several pairs free when my friend cleaned out some of her clothing and let me go through the bags before she donated them. Most of them are fuzzy socks - which suits me just fine and I have a few pairs of ankle style and no-show style to wear with sneakers.

Charles M. Schultz
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:25 pm i just finished darning a small hole in a sock - I wanted to get it repaired before the hole got larger.

In theory, I should not need to buy any socks for years and years - I always ask for them for Christmas and I also got several pairs free when my friend cleaned out some of her clothing and let me go through the bags before she donated them. Most of them are fuzzy socks - which suits me just fine and I have a few pairs of ankle style and no-show style to wear with sneakers.
I love fuzzy socks. I buy mine at the Dollar Store

Right now I am wearing some with my VERY old wool Birkenstock clogs. I love those things. One is starting to come apart at the toe. I thought about ordering a new pair. Kind of pricy - so I think I will buy some glue and try to fix it.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Clem, cobblers can repair Birkenstocks. I watched a shoe repair YouTube channel where the cobbler repaired a pair most people would have thrown away. It was amazing.

Aside from hanging some shirts to dry, I have not done anything unusually frugal today, but every workday I eat breakfast and make coffee at home, take a brown bag homemade lunch, snacks and tea, and it saves $65 a week as opposed to eating in the campus cafeteria and buying snacks and drinks from vending machines.

I sometimes get very tired of my own cooking, but never $65 worth of tired.
Mackie