The Most Frugal Thing You Have Done Recently

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: The Most Frugal Thing You Have Done Recently

Post by HappyDaze »

I did a lot of online research today, trying to figure out what might be the problem with my car doors. If it was ONE door that wouldn't lock, unlock, open, close, there would be a better explanation - but it is all the doors.

Sometimes they open, sometimes they don't - from both the inside and outside - I was kinda sorta trapped in my car one day!! Today I got 3 of the 4 doors to open. Using some suggestions I found online, I greased the rubber around the door (both window part and car part) with petroleum jelly and closed the door with two garbage bags between the two parts. I left the car unlocked (for all the good that does, lol) and we'll see if I can get into it tomorrow.
At this point I am not considering the car "driveable" - it's a safety issue - I could get trapped in or have a door that won't shut - but IF I HAD TO drive it - as in case of emergency - I think I can. This is my temporary "frugal fix" - the best I can do. I will be calling my mechanic next week. So much for "no-spend January", lol
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:01 pm I did a lot of online research today, trying to figure out what might be the problem with my car doors. If it was ONE door that wouldn't lock, unlock, open, close, there would be a better explanation - but it is all the doors.

Sometimes they open, sometimes they don't - from both the inside and outside - I was kinda sorta trapped in my car one day!! Today I got 3 of the 4 doors to open. Using some suggestions I found online, I greased the rubber around the door (both window part and car part) with petroleum jelly and closed the door with two garbage bags between the two parts. I left the car unlocked (for all the good that does, lol) and we'll see if I can get into it tomorrow.
At this point I am not considering the car "driveable" - it's a safety issue - I could get trapped in or have a door that won't shut - but IF I HAD TO drive it - as in case of emergency - I think I can. This is my temporary "frugal fix" - the best I can do. I will be calling my mechanic next week. So much for "no-spend January", lol
Sorry to hear this. It is a weird situation. Hope it is not too pricey. Good luck on the final results.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:29 pm Sorry to hear this. It is a weird situation. Hope it is not too pricey. Good luck on the final results.
Janet, can I vent? There are a couple people at my work telling me "you just need to buy a new car". I disagree - for now. IF - let's say this is a $300 fix - and I drive the car for another year (minimum), in my mind it is a smart financial decision to pay for the repair and keep driving it. It frustrates me when people who don't pay my bills tell me what I "need" to do. It is so unhelpful. Vent over, feeling better, lol.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:03 am Janet, can I vent? There are a couple people at my work telling me "you just need to buy a new car". I disagree - for now. IF - let's say this is a $300 fix - and I drive the car for another year (minimum), in my mind it is a smart financial decision to pay for the repair and keep driving it. It frustrates me when people who don't pay my bills tell me what I "need" to do. It is so unhelpful. Vent over, feeling better, lol.
You are right. I do not understand the mindset that buying a new car which would entail a lot more money is the better option. Years ago, I had a car that ended up needing $7000.00 in repairs. Not all at once. It was a little here and there. At the time there was no way I would have qualified for a loan for a new car, so I kept making the repairs. Each time thinking that would be the last time. The last time I had it worked on they told me the catalytic converter was going to need to be replaced. They said it could be tomorrow or months but advised me to get my emissions tests done before it went out. The cost $1700.00. My DB told me he wanted to buy me a new car and he wanted my old car for his SIL. I told him about the catalytic converter. He said that was ok he would take care of it. He bought me a brand-new Mercury Milan which I am still driving. There were some problems with it last year and this year but still cheaper than a car payment. Plus, if you get a new car, you will have a bigger auto insurance bill. The thing is if I had realized that car was going to eventually need $7,000.00 in repairs over time, I would have been better off getting a newer car. So, if the problems become too much too often then rethink the situation.

My husband bought a new car every other year because he did not want to pay for repairs. What the heck? He had a constant car payment. It is better to pay for the occasional repair over the long life of a car than to be making monthly car payments for a car the rest of your life.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I don't understand it either! Even worse - people have suggested that I lease a car - because I don't drive much, so I would "win" -- whaaaaaaatt???

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:01 pm I did a lot of online research today, trying to figure out what might be the problem with my car doors. If it was ONE door that wouldn't lock, unlock, open, close, there would be a better explanation - but it is all the doors.

That is very strange. I do hope that you can get it fixed at a reasonable price. I do have one question do you use a key fob to open the doors? If so could the battery in the fob be going dead? I have heard of that happening with vehicles when the fob batteries go.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/